PDA

View Full Version : Another towing in 5th question.

twase
15th May 2013, 08:00 AM
I have done a search both here and google and am getting very conflicting answers.
Most aimed at the patrol however suggest the GQ's are fine to tow in 5th. Re-enforcing that I am led to believe that the gearbox is from a light truck and that would suggest to me that it would be quite capable to do the job. I also understand the early GU had a manufacturing issue and were weaker in that respect. I am and have been towing my 18' van in 5th dropping back so as not to load it up on the hills. There seem to be many different explanations for gearbox failure as to why not to tow in 5th

I am after some definitive feedback as to why it is not good for my gearbox in my GQ?

93patrol
15th May 2013, 09:03 AM
for me 5th for flat ground towing and any inclination back into 4th.

no dramas so far with my gearbox and I towed my 1.5t work trailer everyday for 6 years and put 100k whilst towing

nissannewby
15th May 2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah no dramas with the GQ box mate. With your driving you won't have any issues.

june
15th May 2013, 02:36 PM
depends on how heavy your van is. don't know much about the GQ but if that van is very heavy I would be using the 1;1 ratio gear.

twase
15th May 2013, 03:37 PM
Tare is 1650kg would be under 2000 gross.

june
16th May 2013, 09:57 AM
my thoughts are that 5th gear is a overdrive gear. I would be only using it on flat hwy where there is no load on.

jgoose
7th June 2013, 07:51 PM
The problem with the early 5 speed box was the spline that the gear slides along was manufactured too short & the gear would only use part of the spline & wear the shaft & gear splines out so now the fix is the shaft splines have been extended to help support the gear any car should not use an overdrive to tow with due to the loads put on it

twase
8th June 2013, 09:56 AM
I ended up playing it safe and moved back to 4th on most hills... unless I forgot. My combo works really well and only needed 3rd up the razorback, and then because i needed to overtake a slow poke.

93patrol
8th June 2013, 07:49 PM
i think with that bunky motor of yours it shouldnt be much of a drama but for overtaking and putting your foot down i personally would be switching back to fourth just in case it puts too much load on your gearbox bearings.

BTW i have the old TD42 raging at a full 80 odd killer wasps so i am in no danger of severe gearbox malfunction