PDA

View Full Version : What steering dampner do you use?

Bloodyaussie
14th May 2013, 09:06 PM
As stated above.... I got a RTC tough dog and it was great on my old Hilux that had no power steering but a few guys have shot me down in flames...

The guy at Roodogs says that with me running 33's I should use the RTC and not a standard bore dampner?

Thoughts???????

This discussion was started in my Lokka thread but interested in peoples opinions

NissanGQ4.2
14th May 2013, 09:10 PM
Use Standard, can't remember what brand...............see no need for RTC for the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ compared 2 standard price

Ben-e-boy
14th May 2013, 09:16 PM
here is a few links. When I finally get off my arse and replace the RTC I will probably go the adjustable tough dog.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_185_1064&products_id=9427

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_185_2417_2694&products_id=19514

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_185_1070_1196_1523&products_id=9745

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_185_1067_1204&products_id=4226

growler2058
14th May 2013, 09:17 PM
Dobinson

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

04OFF
14th May 2013, 09:24 PM
I used a gabriel i think, works great, only thing i was told to NOT use, was a return to centre damper, as "aparently" , they can mask the fact your wheel alignment may get knocked out of whack, thus scrubbing your tyres ???, (the damper always keeps the wheel straight)

Clunk
14th May 2013, 09:44 PM
Already answered in your lokka thread, too lazy to answer again ;)

Bloodyaussie
14th May 2013, 10:02 PM
Already answered in your lokka thread, too lazy to answer again ;)

Well get a dog up ya then!!!!!!!

Thanks Benny for the links of those dampeners mate.. your a champ despite what your other Queenslander mates say about ya!!!

mudski
14th May 2013, 10:19 PM
I got a Tough Dog RTC from RooDogs on my Troll. Steering is no heavier as some people have said. Really there my old OEM dampener was still fine. I just wanted to look Like I actually use my Troll Off road. Make it look a bit tougher :D Thats why I bought it!!!

In fact I just bough it because, erm I dunno. Just did when I bought the drag link...

nissannewby
15th May 2013, 01:48 AM
I use a tough dog adjustable on my GQ and its great.......nuff said.

BigRAWesty
15th May 2013, 07:12 AM

What's adjustable? I'm guessing the dampening valve?

I'm just running OME. Come with the kit..

taslucas
15th May 2013, 07:17 AM
already answered in your lokka thread, too lazy to answer again ;)

.........x2 :-)

Alitis007
15th May 2013, 08:25 AM

Yeh i'll like to know whats adjustable aswell ??

Bloodyaussie
15th May 2013, 08:58 AM
Well if Matty says so who am I to argue!!!!!!

Will try and swap it or get my money back today??

nissannewby
15th May 2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah just adjusts the dampening so you can have it hard or soft like adjustable shocks

taslucas
15th May 2013, 10:07 AM
Well if Matty says so who am I to argue!!!!!!

Will try and swap it or get my money back today??

How much different were the prices for your rtc vs the same brand adjustable? If its not too much different you may as well have a feel of the rtc?

Drewboyaus
15th May 2013, 10:26 AM

X2 OME

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Bloodyaussie
15th May 2013, 11:28 AM
Well I took it back and the adjustable one should be there in a couple of days...

I smashed one of those rtc ones on a hunting trip once and the spring got all caught up so I could not make right turns without a great deal of effort and yes the set up on them is a pain in the butt!!!

So now I get one I should be happy with???

threedogs
15th May 2013, 12:49 PM
I just run a EFS one with 305 tyres , No one I know uses or likes the RTC jobs.
Question ? Are you really going to adjust it or just find the "sweet spot" and leave it

nissannewby
15th May 2013, 04:31 PM
I have adjusted mine a few times especially after going for a play and you rip wheel weights off then you can stiffen it up to help the drive home. It's the same as adjustable shocks though how many adjust them after they set them, I know my set gets adjusted everytime I drive it.

Bloodyaussie
15th May 2013, 04:44 PM
Well yes I use to race and made adjustments all the time depending on track and conditions.....

Look forward to it arriving as I think it is a better looking bit of kit to have under your car compared to the xmas tree look of the rtc...???

mudski
15th May 2013, 05:11 PM
Well I took it back and the adjustable one should be there in a couple of days...

I smashed one of those rtc ones on a hunting trip once and the spring got all caught up so I could not make right turns without a great deal of effort and yes the set up on them is a pain in the butt!!!

Bollocks! Took me a whole five minutes...

Ben89
15th May 2013, 07:10 PM
I have a RTC Steering damper EYE-EYE (tough dog) for sale if your interested, I bought this end of last year and I got it out of the box and started putting the spring on, It got scratched in the process a bit. It's never been used on my GQ before being its for EYE-EYE So I can't really return it with scratches

Bloodyaussie
19th May 2013, 06:23 PM
Fitted my Tough Dog adjustable steering dampner the other day and it looks the goods... Have it set at the middle setting for now while I get other stuff sorted before I go playing with settings.

Thanks Benny I would not have changed if you had not said anything and I dont think I would have been happy with an RTC on the GQ!!!

BigRAWesty
19th May 2013, 06:49 PM
Good to hear BA.. ill probably follow suit as I was going to go rtc aswell..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Bloodyaussie
19th May 2013, 07:00 PM
The one I have looks bloody good to Kallen which is a good thing when you are vain like me...he he!!!

I will take a pic tomorrow.

Parksy
19th May 2013, 07:28 PM
I'm running the tough dog rtc damper, but I didn't realise there was adjustable units aswell. Don't think mine is the adjustable version, can anyone post up a pic of the adjustable unit?

Bloodyaussie
19th May 2013, 07:37 PM
Fail..... see if I can have another go??

Bloodyaussie
19th May 2013, 07:41 PM
This one!!!