PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 gu 02 intro ect.

Teamdjbilo
14th May 2013, 05:29 PM
Hi All

My Name is Simon

I have a 02 gu patrol currently living on the east coast of australian with my wife and dog, but maybe moving back to wa soon. We enjoy traveling camping and Geocaching.

Today we replaced the intercooler with a tig welded one from PWR performance which has helped this a bit with getting more power which is great. Also looking at getting a snorkel fitted as I know my car runs better at night when it's cooler so thought with a fresh air coming from the snorkel being where the filter is behind the gaurds ect it does not get much this would make a it a run a bit better. Still undecided weather to spend the $600 at opposite lock and get this installed or buy one from eBay for about $150 and attempt to install this myself. Been reading a lot of the posts about this but just I suppose not too sure in regards to the whole rust proofing after cutting the holes ect. Any recommendations on this would be great.

I also have been reading up on blocking the egr valve to which we are hopefully doing in the next few hours just waiting on the engine to cool down. Have read this helps make the turbo kick in earlyier which is what I want as is a bit sluggish on the lower gears but also that this may cause over boost, so looking at installing a boost controller but the forum will not allow me to access it ( http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?89-Nissan-Patrol-Reference-Document ) unless I post 25 posts I believe. I don't think I'll have a problem getting those racked up in no time. I suppose the one thing I do have a concern is by blocking the egr this will not cause any problems in the short run (2-3 weeks) until I can learn how to install a boost controller?

I'll thank everyone in advance for your reply and hope to maybe see those around.

Simon

threedogs
14th May 2013, 05:39 PM
First things first, welcome to the forum mate, plenty of tips and info here for you, so jump in anytime and enjoy.
You'll first need a pillar pod or similar with EGT and boost guage of your choice
. then any changes you make you'll be able to see.

MEGOMONSTER
14th May 2013, 06:31 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

SupRob
14th May 2013, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum Simon,

I did the egr block a month before I received my dawes and needle valve,
I didnt have any drama.

Rob,

Dhuck
14th May 2013, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Teamdjbilo
14th May 2013, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Simon,

I did the egr block a month before I received my dawes and needle valve,
I didnt have any drama.

Rob,

Thanks Rob! Well done this evening and hopefully it works right.
Didn't really notice much at start but give it a good run and after it warmed up I think but could not be sure but it may be kicking the turbo in early which is great will go give it a proper run tomorrow and have been looking at boost controllers ect on eBay so hopefully buy one ect and then go thought fitting all that

Teamdjbilo
14th May 2013, 11:19 PM
Well it has got the best of me. I have been reading and reading and reading everywhere ( not something I normaly do usually the wife that does and then tells me lol) anyway got on eBay and brought boost gauge egt gauge with pod also boost controller and catch can. As I fly back to WA on say to look for work this will give it all time to arrive and when I come home in about a month it's going to be a big job to fit it all but am looking forward to the challenge. I have plenty of time to read up on how to do this to my GU and hopefully will take a couple of pictures of my progress and show them on here.

There is plenty to Learn on here as I am still reading and hopefully find more soon.

Thanks
Simon

SupRob
15th May 2013, 09:09 AM
Which type of boost controller have you purchased, I have seen somewhere that electric ones dont work ? I stuck with chaz at yellowfoot Dawes and Needle valve, working great, very fiddily to get it set right, but the outcome is great.

Rob,

Timmo
15th May 2013, 09:40 AM
welcome to the forum buddy enjoy

love geocaching with the kids...........only problem they keep finding the cache before me

Teamdjbilo
15th May 2013, 09:55 AM
Which type of boost controller have you purchased, I have seen somewhere that electric ones dont work ? I stuck with chaz at yellowfoot Dawes and Needle valve, working great, very fiddily to get it set right, but the outcome is great.

Rob,

It's just one you wind up and down so no digital only about $14 dollars on eBay looks simple to use and pretty sure my mate has a similar one on his Rex

Teamdjbilo
15th May 2013, 09:57 AM
welcome to the forum buddy enjoy

love geocaching with the kids...........only problem they keep finding the cache before me

Yeah that's the problem I find when doing it with the brother in law. But I actually find them before my wife's family (mum n sister) and walk off and sit down and then tell I found it but then let them find it. They love it we love it and the geo pup loves it. Never know might see u around the track some time.

growler2058
16th May 2013, 07:25 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard, plenty of helpful info here

borgitsu
19th May 2013, 01:55 AM
welcome. for me, this is the best forum on the net by far. if you're a patrol fan that is.

AB
19th May 2013, 09:29 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

my third 256
19th May 2013, 10:13 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen