PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wobble at 80k's

bindoonblu
13th May 2013, 10:36 PM
anyone got any advice on long term fix for wheel alignment probs on a GU patrol. Wheel wobble starts at around 80kmh. I have had 1 wheel alignment and all was sweet for a bit but like Freddy its now back.

I have heard about getting the fron axle rotated slightly and this may overcome the problem but any advice would be helpful. I am currently running standard issue road grippers and rims but will be upgrading before heading off around Aust in Sept. Just dont what to have to get a wheel alignment every 2-3 thousand Ks.

healy
13th May 2013, 10:43 PM
I had a wobble at 80ks I just put adjustable draglink and rtc damper and its gone now that's my 2c

mudski
14th May 2013, 10:23 PM
All GU's come with it factory fitted. BTW, I did the same as you healy and its actually worse now on my troll.
Only advice I can give you, BB I'll call you. Don't go over 80k's. :)

cgm
14th May 2013, 11:08 PM
Or always go over 100 :D

I've been having similar issues, but in my case the tyres just won't balance or come up ok but are then out as soon as I've spent an afternon in the sand with them at 15 psi. Very frustrating.

tapatalk on galaxy note

the godfather
14th May 2013, 11:35 PM
When mine starts to wobble I rotate the tyres. It goes away for about 5000k. Then I rotate again.

timbar
14th May 2013, 11:40 PM
I changed pan hard bushes that fixed mine a treat

ns3474
15th May 2013, 11:30 AM
x 2 go panhard bushes,even kingpins

ozzymalone
15th May 2013, 12:51 PM
Just to throw a spanner in the works I had a death shake at 80k's which is now just a gentle wobble thanks to new control arm bushes.

BigRAWesty
15th May 2013, 01:40 PM
Save the hassel and do the lot.. $1000 and a weekend will see you with a pretty much new front end

taslucas
15th May 2013, 01:48 PM
It's a very common thing in patrols. The problem is the same but it seems that there are lots of different reasons. With a mates GU it was the king pin bearings. You could start replacing bits but it can get expensive without fixing the problem. Start off with a wheel rotation as it's free. Check all the bushes in the front. Check wheel bearings for slop. Or you could do as kallen suggested and save up to do the lot in one go

BigRAWesty
15th May 2013, 01:51 PM
I'm only doing it as mine has half a mill on the clock.. all original. I have the death wobbles, but doing the lot is more preventative maintenance..

taslucas
15th May 2013, 01:57 PM
Mine has 430,000 on it not sure has much under the front was original (it all looks original apart from the lift with no castor correction)but I've never had the wobbles. Did the hub seal kit and wheel bearings a few months ago because the axle seal was leaking. It seems really random as to which vehicles get it

bindoonblu
15th May 2013, 09:39 PM
Dont go over 80K's..... well we are about to head off around Australia... and take every left hand turn we see.... just because.. I guess we could take it real easy and do it 80k's... good thing we are setting ourselves 12 months +..... as long as the super keeps going and the bloody govt doesnt change the rules yet again.