PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug requirements

ianandlisad
12th May 2013, 09:22 PM
Hi guys,
Pardon me if this is a silly question. My GU III 3.0ltr Patrol has a "HEAT' switch. It has been in the OFF possy since I bought the car in Nth QLD last December.
I understand the principle of this switch, however, ( & there is no mention of it in the Owners handbook..), I am just wondering when do I need to turn this switch ON?
The cook & I are currently located just north of the Snowy Mtns, & its getting a wee bit chilly. The car starts fine atm, but should I be 'helping' it now with the glowys?? At what ambient should this switch be 'on' regardless??

cheers & beers

Ian

trekster
12th May 2013, 10:02 PM
The heat button will make it idle a little higher, So if its quite cool you turn it on and start it, leave it on for a minute or so for the motor to get going then turn it off.

I used mine down in Sydney last week, had an early start turned over went to fire then stopped again, flicked the switch tried again and away she went.

ianandlisad
13th May 2013, 08:36 AM
Hi trekster,
thanks for replying.
Tried it this morning, car started much easier than normal. I did notice the higher idle rate too!
Have a top day,

cheers

Ian

threedogs
13th May 2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah I fell for it, as in winter I like it hot, pressed it idle went up to 1200 I think.
never made the connection, mechanic sorted it for me, after a bit of a chuckle.