PDA

View Full Version : GU Drivers window goes down by itself!

mudski
12th May 2013, 07:45 PM
Yes its kinda weird. I pull on the door switch to close the window. The window goes up, and when it reaches the top, it goes back down a 1/4 of the way. Dunno if its the switch or what. Everything else works perfect just this. I honestly don't remember this happening before, so it may be normal. You know when you don't realise something has been happening for yonks then all of a sudden your like huh! Never noticed that before.

Ben-e-boy
12th May 2013, 07:51 PM
Have you taken the door trim off and tried it? Is it just falling back down?

Sir Roofy
12th May 2013, 07:57 PM
My current gu window plays up and the gu i had did the same so its a gu thing

Ben-e-boy
12th May 2013, 08:20 PM
My current gu window plays up and the gu i had did the same so its a gu thing

After it comes Down are you able to put it back into place and it stays?

Yendor
12th May 2013, 08:46 PM
Make sure the window is not binding or getting caught on anything as it goes up.

Lube the window rubbers and runners.

There is a safety feature for the drivers electric window that will cause the window to stop from going up and come down by about a third if there is an extra amount of load put on the electric window motor.

I think it's a safety feature for the auto up to prevent kids from getting their hands or head caught in the window.

Sir Roofy
12th May 2013, 09:23 PM
After it comes Down are you able to put it back into place and it stays?

its a bit like a yo yo sometimes but I can live with it

mudski
13th May 2013, 08:33 PM
Have you taken the door trim off and tried it? Is it just falling back down?
Not falling mate. If I pull the switch half way it will go up and stay up. Its the auto part, when you pull the switch right up.

Make sure the window is not binding or getting caught on anything as it goes up.

Lube the window rubbers and runners.

There is a safety feature for the drivers electric window that will cause the window to stop from going up and come down by about a third if there is an extra amount of load put on the electric window motor.

I think it's a safety feature for the auto up to prevent kids from getting their hands or head caught in the window.
That must be it. I did replace my bailey channel on that door and while trying to get the reg out I had to wind it up( I think it was) and the reg wound out too much. So I plugged it in and fixed that. Worked for months after until as of late...
I had forgotten about that...
Now just how to work out how to fix it...

Yendor
13th May 2013, 08:44 PM
That must be it. I did replace my bailey channel on that door and while trying to get the reg out I had to wind it up( I think it was) and the reg wound out too much. So I plugged it in and fixed that. Worked for months after until as of late...
I had forgotten about that...
Now just how to work out how to fix it...

I'm not sure if there is a relearn procedure or not. I will have a look for you.

You need to make sure the window is not binding as it goes up.

Yendor
13th May 2013, 09:09 PM
I couldn't find any sort of relearn procedure.

I would start by removing the door trim, make sure all mounting bolts for motor and runners are tight, give it a lube up and adjust the runners and see if you can get the window to move more freely.

missingdna
13th May 2013, 09:29 PM
as a windscreen fitter....
wind window up fully using only manual.....youknow....tweak it up gradually.....
hold down button fully until window is fully down, continue holding 10 seconds
pull up on switch until window is up fully, continue holding up for 10 seconds
should reset upper and lower limits.
What is happening is callled a pinch reset. It is common when a window is broken OR... force is used to stop a window winding up....such as a fat arm or maybe a baby's head....

if this very basic reset doesnt help then take it back to the dealer. they can reset or do they're voo-doo magic on it.
pinch resets can be a pain in the arse and after glass reinstalled, best left to the dealer as it involves the computer.

Yendor
13th May 2013, 09:37 PM
as a windscreen fitter....
wind window up fully using only manual.....youknow....tweak it up gradually.....
hold down button fully until window is fully down, continue holding 10 seconds
pull up on switch until window is up fully, continue holding up for 10 seconds
should reset upper and lower limits.
What is happening is callled a pinch reset. It is common when a window is broken OR... force is used to stop a window winding up....such as a fat arm or maybe a baby's head....

if this very basic reset doesnt help then take it back to the dealer. they can reset or do they're voo-doo magic on it.
pinch resets can be a pain in the arse and after glass reinstalled, best left to the dealer as it involves the computer.

Thanks mate

Mudski let us know if that works.

mudski
14th May 2013, 08:46 AM
Will do Yendor. But I won't be going to any dealer thats for sure. I'll be stuffed if they're getting any of my money....But thank you missingdna or that info. I will give it a shot today.
My bloody remote central locking has decided not to work again too since last night. It the second after market kit I have put in and both have karked it around six months after being installed. Same brand too, Warlock. Time to get a new system with alarm I think.

threedogs
14th May 2013, 11:24 AM
Fat arm or baby's head decisions ,decisions. nah got nothing lol

mudski
14th May 2013, 06:28 PM
Rang Nissan today and they had NFI. They just told me to bring it down and they will have a look. Yer right! $$$$!!!!

mudski
15th May 2013, 06:03 PM
Mudski let us know if that works.

Didn't work. Rang another Nissan dealer and they had NFI too. I'm wondering if its the switch, not the reg.

Yendor
15th May 2013, 07:50 PM
It really doesn't surprise me that the Nissan dealer had no idea. It's not just a Nissan thing it's all vehicle manufactures that have auto windows.

I think missingdna post was mainly referring to vehicles that have a body control modules controlling the windows, your Patrol doesn't have one. Still it was worth trying the reset procedure.

If you have checked the regulator and window are moving freely and all mounting bolts are tight. The other possible faults are the switch assembly, window motor or a bad electrical connection.

mudski
16th May 2013, 03:14 PM
All fixed. I removed the reg. Plugged it back in and wound it right out until the reg arms came free from the motor, pulled up on the switch unitl the motor stopped by itself, unplugged it, removed the three screws that holds the motor to the reg, realigned the reg arm back on the motor, put it all back together. Whadaknow! It works. Seems the reg arm wasn't in the right spot. One thing I notice now is that the door trim doesn't push out when the window is wound right up. Looks like it wasn't in properly, or at the right position in the first place.
Yay!
Now for my next issue of finding an air bag loom for the 04' leather steering wheel I have.

threedogs
16th May 2013, 03:18 PM
YO Mark it not related with your locking system failing is it?? M2cw
Posted too late is there a nylon bush that aligns that arm??
Just thinking a few up and down movements might lead you back to where it was.
Something caused it to re align. now its 4 cents rounded up thats 5 cents sheeesh

mudski
16th May 2013, 03:23 PM
nah mate that was just a fuse on the central locking.

Bloodyaussie
16th May 2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah mine was just a fuse I tripped when fitting water temp Guage. .. hated having to use my key!!!!!

Winnie
16th May 2013, 03:35 PM
Yeah mine was just a fuse I tripped when fitting water temp Guage. .. hated having to use my key!!!!!

Keys are for plebs!

Yendor
18th May 2013, 10:44 AM
Here's the photos of the GU4 SRS connector.

mudski
18th May 2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for those pics. As discussed in pm I will modify my clock spring to suit the later steering wheel using the later clock spring plugs.

Yendor
29th June 2013, 12:30 PM
I was going through the workshop manual the other day looking for some info for another member and I stumbled across the relearn procedure or "front door limit switch reset" as Nissan call it. There really is a lot of good information in the genuine GU worksop manual but it can be very difficult to find it at times.

I had the door trim of my vehicle today so I had a look for the switch and you can clearly see the black switch in the silver bracket in the middle of the photo.

Hopefully this will help others out.

Cheers Rodney