Tonks
12th May 2013, 06:15 PM
Hi guys,

Is a tree trunk protector and a equaliser strap the same thing,

Cheers,

Tonks.

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:19 PM
No Don't be confused by them , the tree trunk will be nice and wide to spread the load across the tree trunk.
Equaliser can be chain or webbing both have no elastic effect in them, as in to say no stretch. Tree trunk protector will have a higher rating too

MudRunnerTD
12th May 2013, 06:19 PM
No.

A Tree Trunk Protector is a wide strap generally 3m long and used to protect the tree from being ring barked by mongrels that wrap a winch cable around the tree trunk cause they are Lazy Dogs.

An Equaliser strap is often used as a short loop strap between the Two from recovery hooks to "equalise" the recovery pull across both sides of the car rather than all the recovery force going down 1 chassis rail only. It then allows to be connected to to provide a central recovery point.

nissannewby
12th May 2013, 06:22 PM
You can get them in packs of 12 and 24 can't you....... Woops wrong place lmao

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:24 PM
Equaliser used or recommened more for IFS 4x4s as well..
But as MR says spreads the load across two points of the chassis therefore equalising load

Thinking glow plugs but cans also come in 12s and 24s lol

Tonks
12th May 2013, 06:29 PM
No Don't be confused by them , the tree trunk will be nice and wide to spread the load across the tree trunk.
Equaliser can be chain or webbing both have no elastic effect in them, as in to say no stretch. Tree trunk protector will have a higher rating too
You would still be able to use the tree trunk protector as an equaliser on your 2 recovery point on the front, couldn't you, it has no stretch in it.

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah but they are big straps don't see how you could do it some are 4 inches wide.
Best to use each strap for its intended purpose, IMO

macca
12th May 2013, 07:22 PM
Why not TD the loop in the end of the strap is plenty big enough for the tree trunk protector to fit through.
This equalizer is a new fad must have gizmo being marketed. Why not use a tree trunk protector if you have one and multi task an item, equals carrying less gear IMO

NP99
12th May 2013, 07:24 PM
You can get them in packs of 12 and 24 can't you....... Woops wrong place lmao

Glow in the dark :)

nissannewby
12th May 2013, 07:29 PM
Why not TD the loop in the end of the strap is plenty big enough for the tree trunk protector to fit through.
This equalizer is a new fad must have gizmo being marketed. Why not use a tree trunk protector if you have one and multi task an item, equals carrying less gear IMO

They are all "rated" anyway so use what you have. It's the same as anything and I'm with you Macca if your smart in the application then you can easily get away with minimal gear.

Cuppa
12th May 2013, 07:51 PM
When I bought a Tree trunk protector & an equaliser strap they were both the same.

http://4x4direc.myob.net/gallery/STRAPS/equaliser-bridle-recoverytree-trunk-protector-strap/233856

Cuppa

Winnie
12th May 2013, 07:54 PM
Beauty, I have two front recovery points, why not use both? Now I don't need to buy two straps.

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 08:10 PM
When you use an equaliser make sure you use a shackle as the "runner" and not just loop it through the end of the strap, the heat caused by the friction can melt either strap while under load.

Scotty

BigRAWesty
12th May 2013, 08:21 PM

When you use an equaliser make sure you use a shackle as the "runner" and not just loop it through the end of the strap, the heat caused by the friction can melt either strap while under load.

Scotty

Was just about to make this point.. friction is a huge killer of poly straps.

Also imo if using a bridle strap you would want it at least 6m long. If using a 3m strap they would near be pulling in a 90 degree angle (45 a side from the car) which basically slashes the straps weight capability by around 30% from memory.
To keep your straps capacity at its best you need as straight as possible.. so if you can use a 6m strap your angle would be greatly reduced and capacity increased..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

BigRAWesty
12th May 2013, 08:35 PM
Just to follow, I know this is lifting, but the principle applies..
Any questions ask... Photo from the new nobels app..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/90.jpg

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 08:47 PM
Was just about to make this point.. friction is a huge killer of poly straps.

Also imo if using a bridle strap you would want it at least 6m long. If using a 3m strap they would near be pulling in a 90 degree angle (45 a side from the car) which basically slashes the straps weight capability by around 30% from memory.
To keep your straps capacity at its best you need as straight as possible.. so if you can use a 6m strap your angle would be greatly reduced and capacity increased..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Sort of correct,
If you have a a 1 tonne strap ( just an example) and using it as a bridle and you wrapped in around something round that it the same diameter as the distance between your two tow point and connected your snatch strap to that large diameter object( ie a massive sheave block) you would double the capacity of the strap to two tonne, now obviously that would not happen as you would be connecting it to a shackle so this creates an "angle factor". This is the angle created at the shackle so there are 4 rules associated with this and they are , if the angle is 120 degrees the angle factor is 1 which means the 1 tonnes sling is good for 1 tonne, the second is 90 degrees and the angle factor is 1.41 so you bridle is good for 1.41 tonne, the 3rd is 60 degrees with an angle factor of 1.73 so now the bridle is good for 1.73 tonne, and finally 30 degrees with an angle factor of 1.93 so the bridle is good for 1.93 tonne.

Hope this makes sense and it goes for all winching lifting etc

Scotty

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 08:50 PM
Just a note... There is a formula for all angles to get angle factors but the 4 are most commonly used and generally round up to the bigger angle.

Scotty

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 08:52 PM
Oh and while I am at it for those that struggle with angles, if all sides of a triangle are the same you have 60 degrees ie 2 m between tow points and a 4 meter bridle will give you the 60 degrees..

Scotty

04OFF
12th May 2013, 09:08 PM
Oh and while I am at it for those that struggle with angles, if all sides of a triangle are the same you have 60 degrees ie 2 m between tow points and a 4 meter bridle will give you the 60 degrees..

Scotty

So if someone had two recovery points , one on each chassis rail at the front of a Patrol, and the distance between the chassis rails on a Patrol is approx 900mm, a 3M strap across the 2 points, would be all the length you need to get the right angle/s then ?

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 09:20 PM
So if someone had two recovery points , one on each chassis rail at the front of a Patrol, and the distance between the chassis rails on a Patrol is approx 900mm, a 3M strap across the 2 points, would be all the length you need to get the right angle/s then ?

Correct... If 900 then 1800 would give you 60 degrees.... 60 degrees is optimum for the sling but I assume the longer the better to minimise the side load on the tow points.

Scotty

BigRAWesty
12th May 2013, 09:29 PM
Yea that's my thoughts to..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

macca
12th May 2013, 09:38 PM

Scotty
Don't you mean 120 degrees at each point of the equalateral triangle
I'm confusing myself as it is 60 degrees on the "inside"

Cuppa
12th May 2013, 09:40 PM
Beauty, I have two front recovery points, why not use both? Now I don't need to buy two straps.

If winching off a tree wouldn't you need two?

Cuppa

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 09:40 PM
Don't you mean 120 degrees at each point of the equalateral triangle

Correct me is I am wrong 180 degrees in each triangle... 3 x 60 equals 180 ?
Scotty

Winnie
12th May 2013, 09:44 PM

Cuppa

No? Why would you?

BigRAWesty
12th May 2013, 09:49 PM

Cuppa

Winch and tree protector. Unless using an extension strap..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 09:53 PM

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

For me though a snatch block for my winch is crucial and then a bridle would be great aswell, I always try to do a 2 fall/line pull as a minimum if possible

Scotty

Winnie
12th May 2013, 10:00 PM

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Thats only one strap...

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

04OFF
12th May 2013, 10:07 PM

Cuppa

I think Cuppa is right, if you are using one strap between the 2 hooks on your chassis rails, then back through a snatch block to your winch, then you still need another strap to attach the snatch block to a tree.

taslucas
12th May 2013, 10:08 PM
Thats only one strap...

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

If you go from the winch to the tree then you only need one strap (used as a tree trunk protector)
If you were doing a double line pull off a tree and want ed use an equaliser strap bewteen your two front recovery points you'd need two straps. 1 as a trunk protector and 1 as an equaliser

04OFF
12th May 2013, 10:10 PM
And anyone know why are they called "snatch" blocks anyway ?, you don't snatch with them, ive always thought they should be called winch blocks or winch pulleys ?

rottodiver
12th May 2013, 10:14 PM
I know them as equalising sheaves... But snatch block seems to be a 4wd term for them(slang I guess)
Scotty

NP99
12th May 2013, 10:20 PM
And anyone know why are they called "snatch" blocks anyway ?, you don't snatch with them, ive always thought they should be called winch blocks or winch pulleys ?

I could be wrong but I think it's from the old sailing days......

04OFF
13th May 2013, 01:11 AM
Yes i remember the day of the "Tankbulance", and yes the tree was bloody huge !

Thanks for all the pics and detailed info Scotty, plus info about snatch blocks , one thing though, and i think half the reason behind the OP, is ive never seen a bridle/equaliser strap like yours, but heaps of the ones that look exactly like a tree protector (same width), only noticable difference was the strap colour and label/description on strap.

Your bridle actually looks a better way to go to be honest, as its smaller/lighter to carry/pack, plus easy to get a hook/shackle over......... so where do i get one ? (lol)

Tonks
13th May 2013, 07:49 AM

Scotty

Thanks,

That was another question, is it safe to put a shackle as a runner as stated.

taslucas
13th May 2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks Scotty, maybe that post could be put on the safety section or recovery section somewhere? The pics are great

macca
13th May 2013, 08:57 AM
Long story short - when it comes to recovery, if you haven't got a heap of experience with it under controlled circumstances, then don't offer advice that could inadvertently get someone in trouble.

I agree 100% with what you say above, it is not necasarily the way I do it but the level of safety and staying within the equipment specs is the same.

Agree with the statement quoted above as well.

My experience came from owning a IFS Hilux, man I got good at recovering myself!!

I do like to leave some of my gear at home when out with others, BUT take it all if on my own.

My recovery points are up to the task (well I think so) and have not been into this bridle thing, even though I have used my TTP in some instances.

All of a sudden about a year ago I noticed the Bridle Kit was promoted somewhere and now it is a must have item, for me I dont agree. It is a good idea but in my case I do it differently and just as safe.

Out of curiosity how many have a protector for their synthetic whinch rope that is place around the rope and put on abrasive objects where the rope could be damaged?
MSA used to have one but I cant find it on their site, I have one myself and do use it when necessary.

Cuppa
13th May 2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks,

That was another question, is it safe to put a shackle as a runner as stated.

x2, I had assumed that the equalizer strap would just be fed through the loop on the end of a snatch strap (when being snatched obviously) & when doing a double line winch pull that the winch hook would just clip over the equalizer strap? If this is incorrect (& unsafe) I need to get myself a 4th shackle. My thinking was that the additional shackle to connect winch rope to equalizer strap was another potential missile, but hadn't considered friction/heat build up. Can someone clarify please.

Cuppa

DX grunt
13th May 2013, 09:59 AM
My tree trunk protector
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/001_zps91cb6cd8.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/DXgrunt/media/001_zps91cb6cd8.jpg.html)

My bridle
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/002_zpsf6d221a4.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/DXgrunt/media/002_zpsf6d221a4.jpg.html)

Showing the width of the tree trunk protector compared to the bridle
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/009_zpsd15ff095.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/DXgrunt/media/009_zpsd15ff095.jpg.html)

Hope this helps.

Take care out there.

Rossco

threedogs
13th May 2013, 09:59 AM
I think a few pics of joining straps may be in order, personally I'd never thread it back through the loop.
You can never get them undone. But answering Op they have different ratings and a different purpose,
just use it for what its for, If un sure join a club or do an acreditted course, Reasonably affordable $150???
Again we as Aussie adapt, we have adapted lifting gear to recover in some cases. As for recovery kits Most kits available
will have all you require, all you do is add extra shackles etc to suit your needs. Plus a frayed strap is usless throw it away
or cut and get it re stitched for dragging some light logs around camp, not for snatching

rottodiver
13th May 2013, 12:26 PM
Ok if you really want to do this 100 per cent correct you would use fswr ( flexible steel wire rope) between your 2 tow points of the car and use an equalising sheave. Using a shackle as a runner is ok but it is a way of doing it without the correct gear. Also if you opt to do it the correct way you will truly equalise your load between your 2 points and also need to make sure your sheave is correct for the fswr you are using... I can go into all the minimum requirements of sheaves and fswr but don't have time right this minute...

Scotty

P.s the information I am providing is through 18 years of rigging and open ticket crane operator ( currently sitting in a 280 tonne crane lifting 80 tonne concrete footings using equalising gear....