PDA

View Full Version : Routing cables into cab

Country_GU
12th May 2013, 05:31 PM
Hey guys I'm in the process of mounting a UHF antenna and a mobile antenna on my bullbar, but there's only one problem. Where in gods name can you route the coax to go into the cab, I can't find any free grommets or even easy ones to access, anyone give me any tips on getting cables into the cab?

Cheers in advance

DX grunt
12th May 2013, 05:57 PM
On the firewall - under the dash, about where the passenger floor well is, there should be a rubber thingie that leads into the cab.

That's where all my cords go through. Hope my directions make sense? lol

Rossco

MudRunnerTD
12th May 2013, 05:59 PM
On the firewall - under the dash, about where the passenger floor well is, there should be a rubber thingie that leads into the cab.

That's where all my cords go through. Hope my directions make sense? lol

Rossco

X2.. It is quite big and i have quite a few cables going through it. about 50mm to 70mm round. Under the Aircon hoses mate.

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:03 PM
X 3 that thingie would be like a big rubber Gland if thats the term , it accommodates a heap of wire .
you may need to put a small hole with a knife carefully first.

MudRunnerTD
12th May 2013, 06:05 PM
Yep size of a Sink Plug mate.

Country_GU
12th May 2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah I saw that, mine has some strange plastic crap with like wool behind it, is that standard? It's an st wagon

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:45 PM
Probably firewall insulation ?

oncedisturbed
12th May 2013, 08:22 PM
More than likely TD, should be 1 on each side to use

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

Country_GU
12th May 2013, 08:26 PM
Power of the tap?

BigRAWesty
12th May 2013, 08:38 PM
Power of the tap?

Tapatalk Sig. Like mine below...

Um, mine didn't have one on passenger side.. but there is one behind the 1/4 pannel, just below the glove box.. bit of a pain to get to without removing the 1/4 pannel but doable

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

megatexture
12th May 2013, 08:41 PM
one on the left is prob steering use the right hand one

MudRunnerTD
12th May 2013, 08:42 PM
Tapatalk Sig. Like mine below...

Um, mine didn't have one on passenger side.. but there is one behind the 1/4 pannel, just below the glove box.. bit of a pain to get to without removing the 1/4 pannel but doable

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Really? Your fire wall will have a left hand drive steering wheel shaft hole in the fire wall! That's the one we are talking about.

BigRAWesty
12th May 2013, 08:45 PM
Yea couldn't see it from either side.. just the ac pipe entry gromets..

Mind you I am knowen to be blind..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

andrewh
12th May 2013, 08:56 PM
There is one on either side - easy to find when you know what you are looking for , but took me a bit of poking with wire to figure out which was which

Coldcomfort
12th May 2013, 11:10 PM
Here is a small tip. Whenever you are going through an existing grommet/shroud, dont cut the rubber.... Get a stiff piece of steel wire ( a coat hanger would be ok for a small wire), make a sharp point. Like a large needle. Tape your wire onto the non sharp end. Butt join it with some tape. Punch a hole with it through the grommet. It might take a bit of effort but it is worth it. Using this method makes the grommet seal around the wire. This will create a natural water proof seal.

DIL380
17th March 2014, 07:41 PM
I'm about to do the same & plan on using a grommet just above the accelerator pedal then routing the cable down an existing rack on the drivers side of the engine bay. Haven't decided on where the unit's going to go yet but I want to avoid drilling random holes if I can so I'm thinking of using one of the existing screws holding the side of the console cover

trevbob
26th March 2014, 11:02 AM
Have used the big grommet too. Or buy rubber grommets from repco that fit snugly over wire, drill hole in firewall at appropriate place, install grommet and pull wire through. Have to take connector off wire first if it is installed already. Some co-ax cable come bare. I use Wurth rubber care on the grommet when putting in place and then pulling wire through. Makes it slippery when it's wet :) but then dries off clean.
Cheers,
Trev

mudski
1st April 2014, 11:37 PM
I bored out the hole on the driver side to and fit a large ope grommet in the hole. Then ran 1inch ID convoluted tubing (non split type) from inside and out into the engine bay and ends up next to the battery. All my wires now run though this tubing. I even ran an extra 10 wires through it for when I want to add other items down the track....

sil3nt_dr3ams
2nd April 2014, 02:17 AM
If you want to make your own hole thru firewall these things are the ducks nuts.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/cable-gland

Mitch.mccabe
8th April 2014, 11:37 PM
I have a 2013 gu, should this be the same plug on the passengers footwell? I'm struggling to find anywhere! Is it easier to to come up underneath engine or in through the top of engine bay? If that makes sense??

Mitch.mccabe
9th April 2014, 09:42 AM
43093I can't find it on the passenger side