PDA

View Full Version : Help: Brakes playing up

flashman1207
11th May 2013, 06:30 PM
Noticed the GQs brakes getting worse and worse. Basically I pull up to a junction and press down till I can't go any further (about half way to floor) but it doesn't stop quickly. Peddle action feels normal unless while driving I pump it a few times and then they are even worse. Hardly any stopping power at all. I bled the brakes this morning and took it for a spin but seems the same. Any ideas? Master Cylinder perhaps? Don't think calipers are stuck or anything. Car is TD42 1994 disks all round...

Thx
Tony

the ferret
11th May 2013, 06:37 PM
Noticed the GQs brakes getting worse and worse. Basically I pull up to a junction and press down till I can't go any further (about half way to floor) but it doesn't stop quickly. Peddle action feels normal unless while driving I pump it a few times and then they are even worse. Hardly any stopping power at all. I bled the brakes this morning and took it for a spin but seems the same. Any ideas? Master Cylinder perhaps? Don't think calipers are stuck or anything. Car is TD42 1994 disks all round...

Thx
Tony
Might pay to check for vacuum leak, pumping will deplete vacuum even quicker, especially if you have a leak or vacuum pump failing.
Cheers, the ferret.

flashman1207
11th May 2013, 07:15 PM
Might pay to check for vacuum leak, pumping will deplete vacuum even quicker, especially if you have a leak or vacuum pump failing.
Cheers, the ferret.

Thanks for the reply but how do I do that?

threedogs
11th May 2013, 07:19 PM
May pay you to put a kit through the calipers when you find problem.

the ferret
11th May 2013, 07:28 PM
Disconnect the vacuum hose from the brake booster, run the motor and hold ya finger over the end of the hose(fitting) see if it has good vacuum.
When you unplug the hose from the booster, there should be a "pop" as the vacuum is lost.
You may have a leaky Diaphragm inside the booster, or your vacuum pump has had it.
Petrol motors don't have a vacuum pump, only the diesel.
Check for split or cracked hoses within the vacuum system.
When you stated that pumping the pedal made it worse, I'm inclined to think Vacuum loss.
Cheers the ferret.

flashman1207
11th May 2013, 07:50 PM
And your right Ferret. It was actually the really thin tube that goes onto the small barb off the vaccuum hose on the alternator. It attaches at the other end on the firewall to some sort of switch....

Thanks a zillion

the ferret
11th May 2013, 11:23 PM
I knew that!!!!! lol
Glad it's sorted and not expensive for you.
Cheers, the ferret.