PDA

View Full Version : She has stopped!!

eagle1
11th May 2013, 02:26 PM
Hi I was just driving my 99 gu TD patrol at 70 km/h had a puff of blue smoke out the back and loss of power. I pulled it up straight away. I turn the key but she won't turn over. Just re, re, re. I have a full tank of fuel, she wasn't over heated. All was traveling well. Had it serviced 10 days ago. Now sitting waiting for NRMA. Any help!!!

threedogs
11th May 2013, 02:37 PM
The MAF sensor didnt come loose did it, All I've got sorry, How Bizzare,
Might be connected to service ????

Sir Roofy
11th May 2013, 02:43 PM
Hi I was just driving my 99 gu TD patrol at 70 km/h had a puff of blue smoke out the back and loss of power. I pulled it up straight away. I turn the key but she won't turn over. Just re, re, re. I have a full tank of fuel, she wasn't over heated. All was traveling well. Had it serviced 10 days ago. Now sitting waiting for NRMA. Any help!!!

maybe oil related or a sticky ring but as td said might be the maf worth checking for oil mist

the ferret
11th May 2013, 03:25 PM

Check battery terminals, if you lose battery, engine will stop if it's 2.8 GU.
Cheers, the ferret

threedogs
11th May 2013, 03:29 PM
Good call on the battery, Rod
New batteries if it was changed need the posts cleaned of the factory coating.

Yendor
11th May 2013, 03:45 PM
How many K's on the engine? When was the timing belt replaced?

eagle1
11th May 2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys ill b trying all that and will keep you all posted

the ferret
11th May 2013, 03:48 PM
How many K's on the engine? When was the timing belt replaced?

Another good call Rodney!! I wouldn't be trying to turn it over until you find out!!
Cheers, the ferret.

macca86
11th May 2013, 04:07 PM
Zd30 diesel pumps are prone to just stopping when the pack in too
But 99 mode will be rd28 or td42 motor

eagle1
11th May 2013, 04:21 PM
It has 320000 on the clock timing belt done at 250000

the ferret
11th May 2013, 04:39 PM
Probably not the belt, but the tensioner or idler failing, causing the belt to fail also., hope not!!
Cheers, the ferret.

Yendor
11th May 2013, 06:02 PM
Probably not the belt, but the tensioner or idler failing, causing the belt to fail also., hope not!!
Cheers, the ferret.

I hope it's not as well.

eagle1
11th May 2013, 08:22 PM
Well guys tried a few things the sarvo. Checked and cleaned the MAF sensor- nothing. Loosened and injector had fuel come out but not pissing out. Trol wants to start but just won't turn over that final kick. Is it possible some fuel sensor has come loose? The service was a standard air, oil, fuel filter replacement and liquids, is there anything they may have not reconnected? Thanks guys for your replies.

the ferret
11th May 2013, 08:56 PM
Check that the fuel cut off solenoid is working and that you have power to it with ignition on..
But first, check the timing belt, you can do this by removing the top part of the timing belt cover, if the belt has slipped at all, it won't start.
Cheers, the ferret.

NP99
12th May 2013, 01:04 AM
Cheers, the ferret.

Not always but all 3 should be done at the same time as a kit to avoid this......always ask the mechanic to do it while its all exposed.

eagle1
12th May 2013, 10:06 AM
Morning, once again this forum has saved me. I took "the ferret's" advice, took the cover off the timing belt and found that the tension pulley was stuffed. I mean bolt staying there and the rest of the pulley coming off. My question now is, it just a matter of replacing this pulley? Of coarse making sure that the belt is aligned with the marks on the other pullies. Or is there more to this problem. Thanks again guys. This forum has been the best source of education.

threedogs
12th May 2013, 10:09 AM
Ferrets your man ,mate still very early in WA but sure he'll be here shortly

the ferret
12th May 2013, 10:14 AM
Well that has found the problem, but because you tried to start it with the belt as it is, you may have bent some valves,
I don't think it's now just a matter of replacing the timing belt and the rest of the parts.
You won't know till you set it all up and try and turn it over BY HAND only.
Having said that, you might just be lucky. The reason why it wouldn't turn over is because the valves were probably hitting the piston.
Best of luck, fingers crossed for ya.
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
12th May 2013, 10:22 AM
Ferrets your man ,mate still very early in WA but sure he'll be here shortly

Ha ha, I get up before I go anywhere John!!
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
12th May 2013, 11:06 AM
PM me your email addy Eagle1, and I'll send you a pic of the timing set up for the 2.8.
Cheers, the ferret.

eagle1
13th May 2013, 08:41 AM
Hi just wondering is there a specific number or type of loctyte needed for the harmonic bolt??

the ferret
13th May 2013, 08:46 AM
Hi just wondering is there a specific number or type of loctyte needed for the harmonic bolt??

Loctite 243 should do the job.
Cheers, the ferret.