PDA

View Full Version : Stretched GU diff problems

ktmarty
10th May 2013, 02:23 PM
Hi there,

hope someone out there has some input. I've got an early GU that I had converted to a dual cab by Creative Conversions. It had 750mm added to the wheelbase and is a ripper car except when I received it back after the conversion it had a really minor vibration at 100km in 4th ( auto ). They told me it was tyres which I didn't believe at the time.

Any way fast forward 2 years and 50,000 kms and it appears to have chopped out the pinion bearing. Does anyone know the ideal pinion angle?

All help appreciated

Cheers Marty

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2013, 02:48 PM
Not Straight. You want a slight bend at least to give the Pinion something to correct. zero to 5degrees.

Ajustable Upper rear control arms will sort t out for you mate. i had the same problem as i set it up Perfect with a nice straight pinion! always had a slight vibe. Re-adjusted and added some angle and very happy with it now. i made the adjustment before it chewed it out though

Ben-e-boy
10th May 2013, 04:20 PM
The pinion angle is 83 degrees I'm pretty sure

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2013, 05:28 PM
See ^^^^^^^ What he said

LOL

I was Close. 7 degrees from straight. Will make a big difference.

ktmarty
10th May 2013, 09:50 PM
Cheers boyz,

are we talking 7 degrees pinion pointing down relative to tailshaft ? Therefore pretty much level with ground and tailshaft coming down to meet it ? ( make sense ??? )

This thing has been set up with the pinion pointing UP relative to rear tailshaft section. Under accel that would get worse the way I see it.

Thanks for all help

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah option 1 mate.

Dhuck
11th May 2013, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Timmo
11th May 2013, 08:15 AM
welcome to the forum

growler2058
11th May 2013, 09:20 AM
G'day! Welcome aboard shiploads of good info here.

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

ktmarty
11th May 2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys ,

where can I get the adjustable arms at a good price ? I was actually hoping to try some before I bought them to make sure that was my issue but I have no doubt that's the problem. Creative Conversions did a good job on the bodywork etc. but the diff is leaving a sour taste in the mouth.

MudRunnerTD
11th May 2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys ,

where can I get the adjustable arms at a good price ? I was actually hoping to try some before I bought them to make sure that was my issue but I have no doubt that's the problem. Creative Conversions did a good job on the bodywork etc. but the diff is leaving a sour taste in the mouth.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info GU/GQ Upper Adjustable Control arms (http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_34_194&products_id=1302)

Expensive but great product mate.

ktmarty
11th May 2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks Mudda

Relative to the cost of the conversion that's alright.

How does it go? If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

Thanks for the info

healy
12th May 2013, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

threedogs
12th May 2013, 08:52 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum,
jump in and enjoy, stick around its fun

MEGOMONSTER
12th May 2013, 09:52 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

ktmarty
13th May 2013, 10:40 AM
Spose I shoulda posted a picture of the beast. So far it's done some travel but now runs a part time gig supporting dirt bike trips, towing an offroad barbie trailer into the high country to feed and fuel the troops.

Hope the pic works ??

Sir Roofy
13th May 2013, 10:50 AM
spose i shoulda posted a picture of the beast. So far it's done some travel but now runs a part time gig supporting dirt bike trips, towing an offroad barbie trailer into the high country to feed and fuel the troops.

Hope the pic works ??

mate that is awsome extra room as well and could use for firewood

ktmarty
14th May 2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks Roofy,

she's a good ol thing, drives beautiful ( just need a truck stop to turn round ) You don't realise how handy steering lock is for reversing a trailer until you have it taken away from you !! Sorry.. I haven't got less lock, I've got a bigger turning circle. Still, wouldn't change it for the world.