PDA

View Full Version : Police opinion or state law differences?

frenzy
9th May 2013, 08:48 PM
A relative of mine just drove my QLD registered 06 GU with 33s and pillar pod with EGT & boost from Brisbane to Gippsland. On the way, they got pulled over twice:
NSW: "your tires are illegal mate". Got away with a warning as the destination was Vic and they said it wasn't their car.

VIC: "your dash ornament and pillar pod restricts your view". Once again, they got away with a warning as they said it wasn't their car...

WTF? Random police interpretation, Qld haters or fair dinkum differences in state laws??

FFS!

Winnie
9th May 2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah pillar mounted gauges aren't legal in Vic. Had to take mine off for RWC but have been pulled over for random breathos and never had them brought up.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

NP99
9th May 2013, 08:59 PM
National road laws and registration........that would be a novel idea :)

lhurley
9th May 2013, 09:07 PM
Thats sounds like something i can look forward to in august when i drive to melb.

NissanGQ4.2
9th May 2013, 09:13 PM
Tyres should not of been illegal here in NSW if he is talking about size....

Dash ornaments as far as I'm aware are illegal in every state of Australia, they just don't enforce it

Same goes for pillar pods

Cheers

Todd

paulyg
9th May 2013, 09:45 PM
I got my patrol with roadworthy here in Victoria last year with pillar pods.

Winnie
9th May 2013, 09:48 PM
I got my patrol with roadworthy here in Victoria last year with pillar pods.

The RWC inspector either did not know or chose not to pick you up on them, they are definitely illegal.

04OFF
9th May 2013, 10:33 PM
Driving it to VIC ? you shipping it to China Steve ? :smile:

nissannewby
9th May 2013, 10:45 PM
A relative of mine just drove my QLD registered 06 GU with 33s and pillar pod with EGT & boost from Brisbane to Gippsland. On the way, they got pulled over twice:
NSW: "your tires are illegal mate". Got away with a warning as the destination was Vic and they said it wasn't their car.

VIC: "your dash ornament and pillar pod restricts your view". Once again, they got away with a warning as they said it wasn't their car...

WTF? Random police interpretation, Qld haters or fair dinkum differences in state laws??

FFS!

You have highlighted one issue there. Not many of them know the proper ins and outs. I have had 2 police look at one of my cars one was saying that's illegal while the other was correcting him and saying Nuh that's all good

frenzy
10th May 2013, 08:18 AM
Driving it to VIC ? you shipping it to China Steve ? :smile:

No mate. The outlaws are babysitting it for us.

Alitis007
10th May 2013, 08:25 AM
The jacks only know what they hear when they got to vic rds trade nights but if you know your stuff you can easily get out of a defect if your car looks like it has been modified correctly.

Wazza_66
10th May 2013, 08:44 AM
Can someone please explain to me why a pillar pod is illegal? Does it come under the 15 degree line of vision criteria? Just wondering because I would have thought that they are a drivers aid and therefore are legal. Maybe if you have them you should call your truck a taxi.

Hope someone can explain it to me?

Regards

Winnie
10th May 2013, 09:28 AM
They are obstructing view.

Alitis007
10th May 2013, 10:03 AM
Can someone please explain to me why a pillar pod is illegal? Does it come under the 15 degree line of vision criteria? Just wondering because I would have thought that they are a drivers aid and therefore are legal. Maybe if you have them you should call your truck a taxi.

Hope someone can explain it to me?

Regards

Your allowed 30mm above the dash or 150mm below the roof lining everywhere else is an obstruction of view like Winnie said..

Sir Roofy
10th May 2013, 10:18 AM
So if they are illegal why does just about every mag advertise them
and what obstruction arent you looking forward as you drive and planning your next move
before turning right might as well cut the pillar out all together clear vision no obstruction

Winnie
10th May 2013, 10:25 AM
So if they are illegal why does just about every mag advertise them
and what obstruction arent you looking forward as you drive and planning your next move
before turning right might as well cut the pillar out all together clear vision no obstruction

Mags advertise lots of things that aren't legal. I agree with you it's stupid but it's the law.

threedogs
10th May 2013, 10:42 AM
We're just fussy who we let in lol

IMO the "4x4 concept" pillar pod does not IMO obstruct my view at all.

Isn't the pillar pod law more to do with Hoon Vls with guages outside.

dads tractor
10th May 2013, 10:56 AM
Carry a photo of a Mack Superliner with twin aircleaners on the a pillars and ask them how that gets ADR . I also have a photo with date of a truck with police car sitting up his arse and sugar cane blowin out for when they try that insecure load rubbish .

Wazza_66
10th May 2013, 11:06 AM
So I can put my boost and EGT gauges on my bonnet just outside my windscreen (VSI 8) but I can't have a pillar pod because that will restrict my view? I can find no reference to the 30mm or 150mm limits you have mentioned. Surely having something hanging down six inches in front of me would restrict my view of having to see 11 metres to the front of me? I am assuming that taxis have a waiver?

Wazza

threedogs
10th May 2013, 11:11 AM
May be more to do with taking your eyes off the road
like now all GPS need to be on drivers side not in the middle.

Coldcomfort
10th May 2013, 11:13 AM
I wonder how legal it is to stick a GPS on your wind sheild ??

Wazza_66
10th May 2013, 11:19 AM
Threedogs, I understand the concept of taking your eyes off the road, but I also check my mirrors and speed occassionally. If they don't protrude inside the wiper sweep, from the driving position, they are legal as they are not an obstruction.

Sir Roofy
10th May 2013, 11:21 AM
Same as pillar pods

threedogs
10th May 2013, 01:20 PM
In Vic now the GPS has to be in front of the driver, or drivers side, took this waiting for the GLW.
I have two GPS in dash and VMS touring, same software

Winnie
10th May 2013, 01:22 PM
Same as your scoop 3D that's not legal either due to obstructing view. It's all bull crap but it's the rules.

threedogs
10th May 2013, 01:26 PM
Yeah agree 100% scoop blocks more the pillar pod and disabled sticker blocks even more.
Who wins ???

taslucas
10th May 2013, 01:26 PM
Carry a photo of a Mack Superliner with twin aircleaners on the a pillars and ask them how that gets ADR . I also have a photo with date of a truck with police car sitting up his arse and sugar cane blowin out for when they try that insecure load rubbish .

Does that mean I can carry a photo of a bank robber that got away to justify me robbing banks? Lol

FanTapstic!

threedogs
10th May 2013, 01:29 PM
then I need room for my DVR somewhere, got it I need a freakin periscope to be legal lol

taslucas
10th May 2013, 01:29 PM
I think the pillar/vision rule may be a lot to do with turning right through an intersection and not seeing a pedestrian. Car manufacturers have to comply with a maximum allowed thickness for the pillars

FanTapstic!

threedogs
10th May 2013, 01:33 PM
Is anyone doing any work today ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at all LOL

Wazza_66
10th May 2013, 01:42 PM
The scoop is leagal as long as 3D can see the road surface 11 metres to the front measured from the steering wheel.

Alitis007
10th May 2013, 01:53 PM
Is anyone doing any work today ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at all LOL

Its POETS day TD so does that answer your question lol

P4trol
10th May 2013, 02:57 PM
Move further out bush fellas...

The further out you go, the more choose your own adventure it is...

Alitis007
10th May 2013, 03:40 PM
Its legal untill you get caught so worry about it then!

the evil twin
10th May 2013, 04:13 PM
The scoop is leagal as long as 3D can see the road surface 11 metres to the front measured from the steering wheel.

Unfortuntely that isn't so ( the legal bit) the visible meterage is only one small part of whether a scoop is ultimately legal or not... the ARE site for example mentions (or used to anyway) that the large scoops they sell don't conform to ADR's due to pedestrian safety issues.

As for the main thrust of the thread, the Police are making a value judgement. They do not have to be right or wrong, the 'legality' call is made by the DMV or Transport inspectors in each state.

Most Coppers I have had dealings with use the laws as an "attitude check". If you project the picture of a nice well adjusted citizen they send you on your way with a verbal.

frenzy
10th May 2013, 04:56 PM
Most Coppers I have had dealings with use the laws as an "attitude check". If you project the picture of a nice well adjusted citizen they send you on your way with a verbal.

That's a very good point mate.

04OFF
10th May 2013, 07:28 PM
No mate. The outlaws are babysitting it for us.

Ah good, so that means you will be back then, cos i can't afford to come over for a visit, so you best be coming and saying hello when you are back in bris, and remember straddie mate, we are sposed to go there, just keep that in mind steveo ! :cheers:

P.S. How ya pic taking going mate, found your way around the 60 yet ?

Yes agree, i think this is pretty much "always" the best approach, remember, cops are humans too !

Chris79
10th May 2013, 09:13 PM
In Vic now the GPS has to be in front of the driver, or drivers side, took this waiting for the GLW.
I have two GPS in dash and VMS touring, same software

I know its probably just the photo, but that does seem to block a large area and would give me the shits while driving. Look at the cars in the background, could hide a full one behind the gauges.

mudnut
11th May 2013, 11:53 AM
I've seen some huge diameter snorkels, how do they fair with the obstruction of view laws?

Brendan56
11th May 2013, 12:52 PM
As a qld copper I agree 100% with the attitude test. I'm not big on giving tickets in the first place. But if you start making excuses and arguing you've just lost your chance of a caution. The traffic coppers are the ones that hammer you. Us generals guys would rather not have more paperwork than need be.

Tappin trolls
Brendan

04OFF
11th May 2013, 01:44 PM
Yeh, most of the cops that i know personally, have "recieved" more tickets than they have written (lol)

ktmarty
11th May 2013, 02:29 PM
I like the theory of the further out the more they leave you alone, but I live in Mansfield Vic at the base of the high country and local cops have been instructed to ream anyone with 4x4 mods.

We have a lot of holiday traffic here and on the long weekends all I see is cops with 4x4s pulled up left, right and centre. Lifts, lights, tyres, snorkels = pain in the A

Coldcomfort
11th May 2013, 06:31 PM
I like the theory of the further out the more they leave you alone, but I live in Mansfield Vic at the base of the high country and local cops have been instructed to ream anyone with 4x4 mods.

We have a lot of holiday traffic here and on the long weekends all I see is cops with 4x4s pulled up left, right and centre. Lifts, lights, tyres, snorkels = pain in the A

Sad fact that is today. It's been a long time since law enforcement was about safety of road users. Its all about raking in the $$$ now. You guys should try riding a motorcycle in Victorstan.

ktmarty
12th May 2013, 12:35 PM
Hey I know all about that coldcomfort. They hide in the bushes in camo with the radar then radio to a patrol car further down the road. What the??

Sorta spoils the fun..

Clunk
12th May 2013, 01:58 PM
If I put my GPS on the drivers side, it restricts my view far more than putting it in the middle........... makes no sense to me