PDA

View Full Version : what next

bill85
9th May 2013, 08:28 PM
Evening campers. Bill's the name fixing [other people's 4WD'S] is my game.keep trying to find time to follow this forum.started life in the uk and have enjoyed the sunshine since 82.started with a BJ42 that would go anywhere I do mean anywhere, but with so many tracks being closed reluctantly sold. now running a 4.8 patrol mostly for outback caravan towing.
not sure if this question has been voiced but WHAT NEXT are we going to be able to buy [in my case second hand] as a 4WD to run around this great country.

BigRAWesty
9th May 2013, 09:52 PM
So your looking to upgrade?
Well your on a patrol site... So Gu8... Fully optioned for total comfort. Can't go wrong..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

93patrol
9th May 2013, 09:58 PM
Or an older 4.2td gq pick them up quite cheap throw in some comfy seats and put an amazing amount of kays on it. There is a few guys here who's wagons have clocked over 500000km and still going strong. Just keep up the maintenance it will go forever

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Bloodyaussie
9th May 2013, 10:04 PM
Welcome aboard mate................

BigRAWesty
9th May 2013, 10:08 PM
Or an older 4.2td gq pick them up quite cheap throw in some comfy seats and put an amazing amount of kays on it. There is a few guys here who's wagons have clocked over 500000km and still going strong. Just keep up the maintenance it will go forever

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Yea me for one. My Q is tapping on the half a million door.. original everything running gear wise. Clutch, injectors, gearbox..
I'm giving it a spruse up as it has now got the steering wobbles due to a lift install, rust removal, and new tint (also original :D ) and the family and I intend on it starting our trip around Australia..

Its non turbo, so not quick, but still returning fuel figures like 12.2L/100k while camping and 16L/100k when towing a 1.2T camper..

Cant beat them if you don't mind a rugged vehicle..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

bill85
10th May 2013, 11:48 AM
Morning campers, thanks for all of your input, I was thinking of picking up a GU in good condition putting it up on blocks and down the track either cannibalising or shoe-ing in a 6.5 chev.the only other option I can think of if I am allowed to say it on this forum would be a TOYOTA.Not sure about the GU8 it looks underpowered and any 4WD I get must have a chassis.Thanks again for your thoughts.

the ferret
10th May 2013, 11:53 AM
I think Toyota might be a swear word on this forum, not sure, but welcome to the NISSAN forum Bill.
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
10th May 2013, 01:09 PM
We Aussies have a culture I think of "Recycling" 4x4 , so would like to think done the track my Gu will be portal with a Turboed Duramax or similar with a 9 speed ZF auto.
running on bullet proof tyres

taslucas
10th May 2013, 01:13 PM
I think Toyota might be a swear word on this forum, not sure, but welcome to the NISSAN forum Bill.
Cheers, the ferret.

Hey Bill yeah mate you could get a Toyota. It's your choice: a Toyota or a decent 4wd! Haha

FanTapstic!

Timmo
10th May 2013, 08:37 PM
welcome to the forum

Dhuck
11th May 2013, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

AB
11th May 2013, 09:03 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

growler2058
11th May 2013, 09:20 AM
G'day! Welcome aboard shiploads of good info here.

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs