PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Bucket Seats from ST Ute to a DX Ute.

Cuppa
8th May 2013, 08:17 PM
For future reference I thought I'd put up a post for anyone intending to fit ST bucket seats into a DX. There has occasionally been 'speculation' that the seats are interchangeable, but according to where you look, the reader can be left thinking that they should be interchangeable but a small degree of uncertainty remains.

Today I did a complete swap, 2.5 bench seat (passenger) & driver seat & gear lever surround from my 2006 DX ute for two bucket seats, gear lever surround & centre console from a 2003 ST ute.

My ute had all the necessary threaded holes to fit both seats (although some were hidden by the vinyl flooring). The holes to fit the centre console were also there under the vinyl.

Unexpectedly a couple of other parts also needed to be swapped too.
The floor plate which sits under the gear lever surround in the DX has two brackets, one either side at the rear, to attach the surround to, whereas the ST has only one bracket at the rear in the centre. Same plate just different welded-on brackets.
The handbrake lever is also different & was swapped. Basically it is the same brake lever but the ST has a longer handle rubber which incorporates a rubber 'sleeve' to fill the gap where the lever pokes out through the centre console. It didn't seem possible to just swap the handle rubbers.

The ST seats whilst looking similar to my old ones are a little more plush. With the bench seat gone more space becomes available. The passenger seat is now able to be moved further forward giving a bit more storage space which is more easily accessed behind the seat, as well as additional space behind the centre console.
The centre console has it's own small storage 'box', as well as a couple of cup holders. An ash tray in the rear of the gearbox surround gives somewhere else to put the keys or similar (for non smokers). At the front of the gearbox surround is a small indentation suitable for putting a few spare coins or similar. These last couple of items may not sound like much, but are very welcome to the DX owner who has stuff all storage spots for anything.

At the moment I have only loosely bolted everything in to ensure it would all fit, tomorrow I'll give everything a good clean & fit it in properly. The seat slides need to slide better.

Cuppa.

Cuppa
10th May 2013, 11:29 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/86.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuppa500/8726157088/)

Clunk
10th May 2013, 11:37 PM
Looks good cuppa, now all ya need is some carpets and you'll be set ;)

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

93patrol
10th May 2013, 11:45 PM
looks good cuppa. seats look flash as and comfy too

keep the vinyl its so much easier to clean and doesnt get that musty smell when it gets wet.

i have the 93 ST ute with carpet and bucket seats and it always gets a musty smell when it rains and i am in and out of the car alot even with rubber floor mats.

BigRAWesty
10th May 2013, 11:56 PM
Looks good mate. Well done.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Cuppa
11th May 2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks, will definitely be keeping the vinyl, together with extra rubber mats, the sort with lips around the edge to catch all the crap. Have also just ordered a uhf radio so fitting that into the dash under the radio will be the next bit of fun, followed by building a second glovebox.

Cuppa

93patrol
11th May 2013, 12:35 AM
have you thought of/have an overhead console??

you can store alot of stuff up there like maps and uhf's and the like

Cuppa
11th May 2013, 02:24 PM
have you thought of/have an overhead console??

you can store alot of stuff up there like maps and uhf's and the like

I did look at them briefly quite a while back, but IIRC they seemed pretty expensive for what they were. If we need the extra space I may end up fitting one, possibly making one myself, but as I have the space in the dash for the CB I'll use it first. I do like the idea of the 2nd glovebox though, given that the space is not utilised in the DX & that the 'door' can fold down to double as a small table for the passenger. I think I've decided not to bother mounting the iPad in the cab. My better half does a pretty good job of holding it & the hema app means she knows where we are at all times (unlike when she's holding a paper map).
For map storage it occurred to me that a narrow 'pocket' could be built into the passenger side of the centre console where the 'switch' blanks are.

Cuppa

nissannewby
11th May 2013, 03:53 PM
Good call on the vinyl, I took the carpet out of my ST and went vinyl easier to keep clean and just brush heavy crap out. That space for the second glove box space this was empty even in the st. Airbags were factory fitment only from 06 in the utes.

DX grunt
11th May 2013, 09:40 PM
Looks good cuppa, now all ya need is some carpets and you'll be set ;)

It's a bluddy DX, don't make life complicated!!! hahahaha

threedogs
11th May 2013, 09:52 PM
Looking good now you have space beween the seats for some
storage netting or great spot for a fire extinghisher

Clunk
11th May 2013, 10:07 PM
It's a bluddy DX, don't make life complicated!!! hahahaha

What you talking about Willis!!!!??/? He's already fitted bucket seats and centre console........ Nice plush carpet would make it feel so soft and lovely under feet

DX grunt
11th May 2013, 10:10 PM
What you talking about Willis!!!!??/? He's already fitted bucket seats and centre console........ Nice plush carpet would make it feel so soft and lovely under feet

Carpet soaks up all the mud. DX's are designed to be hosed in and hosed out!!!! PML.

Clunk
11th May 2013, 10:20 PM
Carpet soaks up all the mud. DX's are designed to be hosed in and hosed out!!!! PML.

But Cuppa won't be in the mud and you will never take yours off road, so it doesn't matter lmao

DX grunt
11th May 2013, 10:28 PM
But Cuppa won't be in the mud and you will never take yours off road, so it doesn't matter lmao

You don't own a DX, so you don't understand!!! haha

Clunk
11th May 2013, 10:34 PM
You don't own a DX, so you don't understand!!! haha

I own a gq with really old skanky carpets and wind up windows..... so I thinking do!!!! Lol