PDA

View Full Version : auto transmission cooler

asdex
8th May 2013, 07:25 PM
Hi just wondering if someone can tell me if the cooler for the transmission is normally a part of the radiator. I have traced the pipes and they seem to go to the side of the radiator.
Thanks,

threedogs
8th May 2013, 07:27 PM
I take it you mean on a 3 ltr

asdex
8th May 2013, 07:34 PM
Sorry its a 4.2 Diesel 1993 Safari Type U-VRGY60
Thanks

threedogs
8th May 2013, 07:47 PM
Sorry cant help my manual doesn't cover your model, but sure someone will be along shortely

asdex
8th May 2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks, have found it in a manual. It is the AT cooler. Does that mean I'll have no problems towing as I hear some people fit an oil cooler. I have to tow a 1.7 tonne digger soon.
Thanks,

rottodiver
8th May 2013, 09:16 PM
The auto goes through its own core of the radiator and then to a cooler, problems with the cooler is if you have an internal leak and the auto trans fluid end up in your radiator ( not normally coolant in auto but this is possible) the positives are an extra bit of cooling and on the really cold mornings the auto trans gets up to the temp quicker due to the radiator warming the oil.
I have disconnected mine from the radiator and have a larger cooler installed than factory one. My auto trans temp sits around 85 degrees and climbs to 100 on hot days and up hills and around 75 degrees towing with the auto trans lock on!
Scotty

asdex
9th May 2013, 04:54 AM
Ok thanks for that info. I would like to watch the AT temperature. Do you fit some sort of gauge for this and where do you put the sender?
Cheers,

rottodiver
9th May 2013, 12:23 PM
You have to buy a kit sadly.... The sender is modified from oil line that leaves the auto box.... Wholesale automatics for the kit..... It really changes your driving style when you install it..... Oh and it takes about 10 to 20 minutes to do the install

Scotty