PDA

View Full Version : Air filter: Panel vs Cylindrical

Barry
7th May 2013, 07:15 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of changing my airbox when I install a snorkel.

Do the Gen3 panel filters, such as the ones in the Millweld airboxes, filter as much dust as the cylindrical ones?

And if not will the amount of filtration make any difference? Thanks.

mudski
7th May 2013, 08:46 PM
Cylindrical filters can filter more dust and dirt as they cover a larger surface area for roughly the same space as a panel type filter. But you need to watch out on sizing when using a cylindrical filter setup. Too small and you will starve the engine for air. Too big and it just won't fit under your bonnet :)

paulyg
7th May 2013, 08:59 PM
Mudski is spot on, with air filters it's all about surface area, I would use the biggest one that will fit.

mudski
7th May 2013, 09:13 PM
Mudski is spot on, with air filters it's all about surface area, I would use the biggest one that will fit.
Yes I am...:tease: I worked years ago wholesaling for Fleetguard and Donaldson filters in Construction, mining, transport etc etc. Been a while, but there is a way to work out the exact cylindrical filter setup you need going by what engine you have. Something like xxx RPM X Engine Displacement in C.I divided by .2345. Or something. Like I said, its been a while...
But often on car applications, the biggest you can fit it still not big enough to cope with the amount of air needed. Hence why panel filters are used. More air flow, less space is used but also less filtration.

Barry
7th May 2013, 09:34 PM
Cylindrical filters can filter more dust and dirt as they cover a larger surface area for roughly the same space as a panel type filter. But you need to watch out on sizing when using a cylindrical filter setup. Too small and you will starve the engine for air. Too big and it just won't fit under your bonnet :)

Thanks Mudski. So if you had a panel filter and a cylindrical filter of the same surface area and thickness, and same design, what would filter more dust/dirt?

mudski
7th May 2013, 10:07 PM
Well technically speaking if they had the same surface area, both would filter the same. Well, should.

Barry
7th May 2013, 10:11 PM
Awesome, Thanks :)