PDA

View Full Version : Tb42 high idle problems

jaydenc
7th May 2013, 06:58 PM
hi guys I have an 89 gq tb42 carb fitted with a pertronix ignitor which ran perfectly
recently I purchases a pertronix coil to suit it and now the engine idles high after short while of driving.
anyone habe any ideas what this could be ? thanks

Bloodyaussie
7th May 2013, 07:19 PM
Mate if you could head over to the introduction section and say g'day that would be good..

You may find people are more willing to help with your problem.

taslucas
7th May 2013, 07:39 PM
Also have a little search (top right of screen) as there are quite a few things that it could be.

Id check all around the carby for any obvious signs (anything sticky, dirty, hoses cracked etc)
Which coil did you fit? Is it one that needs the old ballast resistor to be removed?

jaydenc
7th May 2013, 08:51 PM
hi mate I have had a good search of the forum but I cant really find any topics relating to the coil. its a pertronix flamethrower 3 ohm. when I first installed it I ran both pos and neg wires from the electronic igniton onto the pos and neg posts on coil as I did with the old coil, and it caused severe power loss down low and I found a post that said to run one of the wire to the ballast resistor instead which caused it to run much better although as ive done that it has caused the engine to have a high (1700~) rpm. it also has a little trouble stopping due to this. I was wondering weather to revert back to old coil or maybe adjust the idle ? thanks.

taslucas
7th May 2013, 09:01 PM
i reckon you should connect the new coil according to the pertronix instructions. The pertronix flamethrower2 coil- 0.6ohm (which i have) operates without the ballast resistor.
Did you run the vehicle with the old coil and the electronic ignition module before fitting the new coil?
You could revert back to the old coil and see if there is any difference. That would atleast eliminate that.