PDA

View Full Version : Im Dumb, what bolts for my bull bar?

taslucas
7th May 2013, 11:01 AM
Yep Im dumb. I left my old bolts out at my parents house. Im going to buy some nice new shiny ones but what type? Is it M16 or something? im dumb about this stuff. I plan to buy the toughest ones i can afford.
I will go get them as soon as i get a serious answer out of one of you (which will be a while knowing you lot! Growlers, Scotty, Winnie, Clunk, Nisshead, Georgina need not reply!!):tease:

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:15 AM
Well Lucy if you had a GU i'd say 110% they would be M14x 1.5 zinc coated high tensile bolts with flat and spring washers, the length should be about 30 - 35mm.

They look like this

Maxhead
7th May 2013, 11:17 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/31.jpg

taslucas
7th May 2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks George that looks like the ones!
Next Question: Whats the best type? It would be the ones with the strongest sheer rating? is that even what you call it??

taslucas
7th May 2013, 11:38 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/31.jpg

Get a job!!

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks George that looks like the ones!
Next Question: Whats the best type? It would be the ones with the strongest sheer rating? is that even what you call it??

High tensile steel is 8.8 t the normal is 7 i think. Normally they're black steel but the zinc coated ones are silver so they don't rust as fast. Stainless would be better coz they're a bit stronger but will cause electrolysis (rust). But when you go to the bolt shop ask to try it in the chassis first to make sure you've got the right thread pitch!

Bloodyaussie
7th May 2013, 11:46 AM
Sweety dont be so hard on yourself!!!!!!

taslucas
7th May 2013, 11:47 AM
Sweety dont be so hard on yourself!!!!!!

oh i forgot to put you on the list at the top Jonathan! lol

taslucas
7th May 2013, 11:49 AM
High tensile steel is 8.8 t the normal is 7 i think. Normally they're black steel but the zinc coated ones are silver so they don't rust as fast. Stainless would be better coz they're a bit stronger but will cause electrolysis (rust). But when you go to the bolt shop ask to try it in the chassis first to make sure you've got the right thread pitch!

Yeah i was just going to go buy one and see if it fits before getting the rest. Ill see what they've got in their limit stocks lol

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:53 AM
I forgot your not driving it daily anymore lol just go grab an original from you parents place or use one off the front recovery point to see if they are the same, i think they should be.

taslucas
7th May 2013, 11:55 AM
Cant be bothered driving out to the pairs place lol its a bit of a drive

threedogs
7th May 2013, 12:52 PM
Only use Zinc plated bolts, you can get better than grade 8, but grade 8 is fine IMO, Could use H/T washers,.
1.5 only means metric coarse thread. Did you require any nuts??

taslucas
7th May 2013, 02:19 PM
Only use Zinc plated bolts, you can get better than grade 8, but grade 8 is fine IMO, Could use H/T washers,.
1.5 only means metric coarse thread. Did you require any nuts??

All 6 holes have captive nuts. I just went to the local Mitre10 they only have up to M12 lol but they do sell toasters and kettles now! Ill get a single bolt and double check the thread on the captive nuts.

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 03:03 PM
You'll have to go to a bolt shop Lucas coz all the mitre 10 and bunnings only stock m12mm bolts. You could always invite the ol folks over for dinner and ask them to bring the bolts with them ?? Lol

Bloodyaussie
7th May 2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah lucas when was the last time you had your lovely parents over for dinner?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

taslucas
7th May 2013, 03:30 PM
I only had three bolts on the old alloy bar and they were cr@ped out anyway. Ill grab some tomorrow, cheers for the help georgina

taslucas
7th May 2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah lucas when was the last time you had your lovely parents over for dinner?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

back in your box!

threedogs
7th May 2013, 04:07 PM
Might want to smear some copper coat or never seize on the thread,
keeps the threads in good nick.

BigRAWesty
7th May 2013, 04:08 PM
I actually have 2 types of bolts.. 14mm metric fine and them a UNF of similar size.. only found out when i went to reinstall the bar and the basterds wouldn't do up...
So take it to a bolt joint, blackwoods etc and get them to try a couple before buying. Just in case yours is like mine..

Fyi, ill be changing all mine to metric fine when the new bar goes on..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

taslucas
7th May 2013, 04:12 PM
yeah i might just take the trol to work tomorow and call in on the way

threedogs
7th May 2013, 04:13 PM
Must be a "Q" thing lol

GUtsy ute
7th May 2013, 07:15 PM

Not looking for an argument, but don't use use ordinary stainless bolts, as they are actually weaker than mild steel bolts.

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 07:21 PM
Not looking for an argument, but don't use use ordinary stainless bolts, as they are actually weaker than mild steel bolts.

I didn't know that about stainless bolts, i was going by 3mm stainless 304 plate is as strong as 5mm mild steel. Cheers for the heads up mate!!

taslucas
7th May 2013, 07:27 PM

I actualy thought that but i then thought i must have been wrong lol. Stainless is more brittle

BigRAWesty
7th May 2013, 08:14 PM
Stainless is infact softer than mild steel..
Its the compound of which its made that makes it feel stiffer and heavier.
Once stainless is heated and cooled it becomes more brittle. That's why you have to be careful not to work harden stainless when drilling.. slow and steady and lots of fluid..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

taslucas
7th May 2013, 08:17 PM
thats what she said

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 10:50 PM
I only had three bolts on the old alloy bar and they were cr@ped out anyway. Ill grab some tomorrow, cheers for the help georgina

You shmuck Lucy the whole point of getting the bolts was for you to get the thickness, length and thread pitch!! And no dramas any time!!

Clunk
7th May 2013, 11:04 PM
Well I'm glad I didn't see this thread earlier otherwise I would have given you the right answer but now, I just can't be fecked roflmfao

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

bugster
8th May 2013, 11:22 PM
can i suggest you go for GR8.8 galvanized bolts , these have a coating of around 50 microns of zinc, the zinc bolts only have about 5 microns and will rust quicly when exposed to the elements

taslucas
8th May 2013, 11:34 PM
got an m14 - 1.5 bolt today to test the captive nuts in the bar. No go, its too thick. The bar looks like and ARB but im not %100 sure. Would all ARB bars have the same size bolts?

Clunk
8th May 2013, 11:39 PM
thread pitch to big or the diameter of the bolt?

taslucas
8th May 2013, 11:40 PM
bolt too thick. thread looks like it may be the same......

BigRAWesty
9th May 2013, 12:58 AM
I reckon you'll be the same as me.. try it in all the captive nuts first..
But you also may need 5/8 UNF bolts.. I think...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

taslucas
9th May 2013, 07:53 AM
I reckon you'll be the same as me.. try it in all the captive nuts first..
But you also may need 5/8 UNF bolts.. I think...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
OMG this is gonna be a long saga! Right im gonna call on a few mates to bring a handful of bolts around and try to find the right size

threedogs
9th May 2013, 08:06 AM
14mmx1.5 is the same thread as a spark plug, 5/8 is = to 16mm from memory. stretching this out Lucas.
I would have gone 14x1.25 which is the fine metric, happy to be wrong as meds running low
for cost ARB may have used imperial bolts as metric bolts can sometimes be very costly.
having said that IMO I would think ARB use all metric hardware

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 08:30 AM
Strange its not a 14mm bolt, next size down is M12 or a 1/2" but being a jap car see it being imperial unless some one has mucked around with it and tapped a new thread??

taslucas
9th May 2013, 08:44 AM
Strange its not a 14mm bolt, next size down is M12 or a 1/2" but being a jap car see it being imperial unless some one has mucked around with it and tapped a new thread??

Yeah the captive nuts are on the bullbar so not part of the jap car. I tried finding arb specs online but couldn't find much.

FanTapstic!

BigRAWesty
9th May 2013, 08:48 AM
Right... Now were sailing. Who would know what the bolts are?
Grab a tape or ruler and measure the inside of the bolt.
And take a photo of the thread.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah the captive nuts are on the bullbar so not part of the jap car. I tried finding arb specs online but couldn't find much.

FanTapstic!

Right! Would of thought the bolts would have been on the chassis ?? But if you can get your hands on some verniers to measure the size of the hole and the depth of the nut, thickness of the chassis rail and add 10mm that will give you the thickness and length of the bolt.

taslucas
9th May 2013, 09:16 AM
First step, borrow a handful bolts tonight and trial and error lol

FanTapstic!

threedogs
9th May 2013, 09:52 AM
Ring Nth West ARB and ask them if Head office use imperial or metric.
1/2 bolts will be unc a very coarse thread. I'll put some pics up. Fine one is 12mm x1.25
other is 1/2in unc, both 50mm and 2" long

taslucas
9th May 2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks but it's a bit hard to tell what I need from a pic. I reckon they'd be a common size so I'll just try a handful of different borrowed ones tonight

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks but it's a bit hard to tell what I need from a pic. I reckon they'd be a common size so I'll just try a handful of different borrowed ones tonight

FanTapstic!

Mate i'm working on a GQ with a bar on it, 2 of the bolts measured up 12mm. When i finnish the job on it i'll ask the customer if i can remove a bolt and get you a size mate, but you'll just have to bare with me till later on coz i've got a bit of work on ??

taslucas
9th May 2013, 11:03 AM
That'd be awesome mate. Is it an arb bar? I wonder if they're all the same?

FanTapstic!

Ben-e-boy
9th May 2013, 11:10 AM
Yep Im dumb. I left my old bolts out at my parents house. Im going to buy some nice new shiny ones but what type? Is it M16 or something? im dumb about this stuff. I plan to buy the toughest ones i can afford.
I will go get them as soon as i get a serious answer out of one of you (which will be a while knowing you lot! Growlers, Scotty, Winnie, Clunk, Nisshead, Georgina need not reply!!):tease:

I would prefer that you use term Intellectually challenged.

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 11:12 AM
That'd be awesome mate. Is it an arb bar? I wonder if they're all the same?

FanTapstic!

I'll take a pic of the mounts soon as i start working on it mate, just inbetween jobs atm

threedogs
9th May 2013, 11:12 AM
I was going to say bolt impaired not to offend anyone, or as its now called Bolt challenged. lol

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 11:43 AM

Cant you just say you drive a GQ?? Lol

threedogs
9th May 2013, 11:47 AM
Most JAP 4x4 will use 1.25 thread pitch untill 14mm, then they go 1.50 easy peasy
Alitis thats low, very low, Ha Ha Ha LOL love your work

taslucas
9th May 2013, 01:07 PM

Sorry, I did not mean to offend. Please delete this thread.

Lmao

FanTapstic!

taslucas
9th May 2013, 01:08 PM
Most JAP 4x4 will use 1.25 thread pitch untill 14mm, then they go 1.50 easy peasy
Alitis thats low, very low, Ha Ha Ha LOL love your work

Handy bit of info but it's the bar not the car that has the nuts I'm not sure about.
The Qs nuts I am sure about. They are big n tuff!

FanTapstic!

threedogs
9th May 2013, 01:29 PM
Are there any other bolts in the OE mounting kit you can check if metric or imperial???

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 01:54 PM
Lucas with the soft and mushy GQ nuts this is the mounting style of this ARB bar

The bolt is 40mm long 1/2" UNC13
Going by whats in front of me you have 4 captive nuts and another 4 that need their own nuts.

Get one bolt to try if its all good you will need

8 x spring washers
12 x flat washers ( which need to have an out side diameter of 35mm )
4 x nuts
8 x bolts

Winnie
9th May 2013, 02:02 PM
To make things a little harder fr you the bolts on the left side will probably be different than the ones on the right. They are on both my GQs.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

threedogs
9th May 2013, 02:31 PM
40mm x 1/2" love it ,do it myself all the time eg need some steel 100mm by four inches LOL

Is it worth while using 1/2 in UNC NYLOCs

Most 1/2" will be UNC

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 03:46 PM
40mm x 1/2" love it ,do it myself all the time eg need some steel 100mm by four inches LOL

Is it worth while using 1/2 in UNC NYLOCs

Most 1/2" will be UNC

If you want to get technical 1.5" long ( now i'm just being a smart rrs lol)

TD what do you need a 100 x 100mm ( 4"x4") steel for?? Lol

taslucas
9th May 2013, 03:56 PM
Nah it's a different set up altogether. The bullbar slides inside the chassis rails. It has three captive nuts per side. When the bullbar is slid in, the nuts line up perfect with holes in the chassis rail. The six nuts appear to be the same. I'll get some pics after work.
But thanks heaps for the replies guys. Keep up the good work:-)

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 04:03 PM
This slides in the rail aswell
Unless these bars are made in different years and the style has chsnged

taslucas
9th May 2013, 04:14 PM
Ahh, sorry couldn't tell from the first pics. My bar may have been modified at some stage too. It's damn tough though:-)

FanTapstic!

Bloodyaussie
9th May 2013, 04:38 PM
Hurry up and give my car back George and stop stuffing about with Lucas!!!!!

taslucas
9th May 2013, 04:53 PM

Go get hugged jono

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
9th May 2013, 05:35 PM

You cant rush perfection mate!

Go get hugged jono

FanTapstic!
He doesn't know it but i'm going to get my gym junky brother whos 6'1 to give him a cuddle !! Lmao

taslucas
10th May 2013, 06:52 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/79.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/80.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/81.jpg
Heres some pics.
Got a bolt off a mate that screwed into the nut but wouldn't go all the way through so the thread was slightly different. Went to bolt shop today and showed them the bolt they said it was 1.75 thread, gave me some with 1.5 thread and the damn things won't screw in as far as the 1.75 I had?

FanTapstic!

Ben-e-boy
10th May 2013, 06:58 PM
Go to the local hardware and get yourself some thread gauges. They are like feeler gauges but with thread pitches etc. get metric and imperial to be safe. Then all your problems will be solved :) except for that rash. Lol

threedogs
10th May 2013, 07:02 PM
Is he saying they are metric ???

nissannewby
10th May 2013, 07:02 PM
Wouldn't go all the way through the nut or only would get one turn into the thread?

If it goes pretty much all the way through then there won't be much wrong with the size. The nut might be slightly damaged.

taslucas
10th May 2013, 07:03 PM
yeah i just thought it would have been a lot easier than that. Its got to be such a common size. Annoyed that i had a bolt that was %99 percent right but now im further away!

taslucas
10th May 2013, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't go all the way through the nut or only would get one turn into the thread?

If it goes pretty much all the way through then there won't be much wrong with the size. The night might be slightly damaged.

the one i had that they told me was 1.75 thread would nearly go all the way through the nut. The ones they gave me which they said were 1.5 thread will only get one turn into the nut

threedogs
10th May 2013, 07:06 PM
most common would be 1/2" unc, thread looks nice and coarse

nissannewby
10th May 2013, 07:07 PM
Possibly try a 1/2" unc but if you can get it that far through that would be the one I use. If its an M12 we are talking about it would also feel a little sloppy in the thread if the nut was unc

BigRAWesty
10th May 2013, 07:10 PM
the one i had that they told me was 1.75 thread would nearly go all the way through the nut. The ones they gave me which they said were 1.5 thread will only get one turn into the nut

Then the first one is correct.. see if you can get a tap to fit that nut and clean the threads out..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

taslucas
10th May 2013, 07:14 PM
Possibly try a 1/2" unc but if you can get it that far through that would be the one I use. If its an M12 we are talking about it would also feel a little sloppy in the thread if the nut was unc

nah the 1.75 didnt seem too sloppy but i might be used to a diferent level of sloppy haha. i will try 1/2" unc next.

Then the first one is correct.. see if you can get a tap to fit that nut and clean the threads out..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

I tried all 6 nuts and they all felt the same (stopped in the same spot). the thread is clean too

Parksy
10th May 2013, 07:17 PM
Only metric will fit these beasts. Guessing its 1.25 thread. Like the majority of everything else on the 4bie.

taslucas
10th May 2013, 07:21 PM
Only metric will fit these beasts. Guessing its 1.25 thread. Like the majority of everything else on the 4bie.

The captive nuts arent part of the vehicle though. They are part of the the bullbar and i cant tell if they are ment to be like that or if they have been added later by someone else. (the bar looks like an arb but has been modified before i got it.)

nissannewby
10th May 2013, 07:24 PM
1.25 would be lucky to go one turn into a course thread.

Alitis007
10th May 2013, 07:27 PM
What did i say yesterday, 12" unc 13. I got it from BA's bar which is an ARB bar........

Parksy
10th May 2013, 07:27 PM
Ahh bugga. No idea then. Only proper way to know is to either have lots of bolts on hand or use the guage to measure the thread.

nissannewby
10th May 2013, 07:31 PM
What size are the nuts welded to the bar like socket size? If - 3/4 or 19mm spanner is the go for them then the bolt will be half

taslucas
10th May 2013, 10:14 PM
What size are the nuts welded to the bar like socket size? If - 3/4 or 19mm spanner is the go for them then the bolt will be half

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/84.jpg
Ok, the top bolt is the one that nearly fits(goes nearly all the way through the captive nut). It has CM 8.8 on it.
The bottom bolt is the one I got from the shop today. It only goes in the nut one or two turns. It has MF 8.8 on it.
The captive nuts are 19mm

FanTapstic!

taslucas
10th May 2013, 10:17 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/85.jpg
Bit better picture. The bolts they gave me today (black) have a lot finer thread.
FanTapstic!

nissannewby
11th May 2013, 02:59 AM
It looks as though they are not nylock or lock nuts so its is possible they are 1/2" bolts.

Parksy
11th May 2013, 07:53 AM
If one of those bolts goes in 3/4 of the way in, it's more than likely the correct one. If its the wrong thread, it will stop at the 1st or 2nd thread and won't go in further. Does it go in that far using finger pressure, or do u need to use a spanner or socket to get it in?

taslucas
11th May 2013, 07:59 AM
Goes in that far with finger pressure but it stops in exactly the same spot for all six nuts.

FanTapstic!

Parksy
11th May 2013, 08:03 AM
Hmmm, bizarre. Does ARB Use unique bolt sizes that are only available from them?

taslucas
11th May 2013, 08:32 AM
Nah I dont reckon. I'll try the 1/2" unc next

FanTapstic!

threedogs
11th May 2013, 08:38 AM
Might be BSW thread , only reason aftermarket use imperial is cost, 1/2UNC x 2" could be 40 cents
where as a 12mm 1.25 pitch x 50 are $1.07 each. I know cause I buy by the box all the time.
I'll ring my bolt place this morning for you and see what they think.

threedogs
11th May 2013, 08:45 AM
bumped. @ Lucas, rang my bolt place and came up with this , Its like I said more than likely its BSW, thread which is 12 TPI [teeth per inch] instead of 1/2" UNC which is 13 TPI.
One interesting point he made was that BSW bolts don't come in HI tensile. I'd buy a 1/2" UNC tap and re tap it so H/T bolts can be used

email sent to Lucas

Parksy
11th May 2013, 08:46 AM
A quick search on google found someone using m12 1.25 thread pitch.

threedogs
11th May 2013, 08:56 AM
@ Parksy thats metric fine, my money is on 1/2" BSW.
a lot of after market trade use BSW and in weird sizes like 9/16th bsw
I'd either one re tap it or cut nut off and use correct thread pitch.
Just saw pic cutting nut off not an option, run 1/2 unc tap through it. done

Winnie
11th May 2013, 09:09 AM
Think it would have been easier for you to drive to your parent's place Lucas!

taslucas
11th May 2013, 10:21 AM
Think it would have been easier for you to drive to your parent's place Lucas!

Haha nah the bar has captive nuts welded to it. The old alloy bar had nuts and bolts.

FanTapstic!

taslucas
11th May 2013, 10:24 AM
A quick search on google found someone using m12 1.25 thread pitch.

That's the black one in the pics.

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
11th May 2013, 10:41 AM
Why didn't you go and the bolt i told you to try you shmuck?? Lol

taslucas
11th May 2013, 10:53 AM
Because Im a schmuck! Haha
Nah, the bolt I got off a mate to try was soooo close to working that I though the guys in the bolt shop would have been able get me over the line with the correct ones. But alas, I was wrong!
I'll swap the ones I got for the 1/2" unc ones.

FanTapstic!

threedogs
11th May 2013, 12:38 PM
This still going com'on Lucas dragging the chain a bit lol

Alitis007
11th May 2013, 12:58 PM
Because Im a schmuck! Haha
Nah, the bolt I got off a mate to try was soooo close to working that I though the guys in the bolt shop would have been able get me over the line with the correct ones. But alas, I was wrong!
I'll swap the ones I got for the 1/2" unc ones.

FanTapstic!

The reason the m12 bolt screwed in is coz its smaller and the 1.75 pitch is really close, hope ARB used all the same bolts lol coz then i'll look like a dick! Haha

Here the difference between a UNC 13 and a 1.75
Close but no cigar.....

taslucas
11th May 2013, 07:34 PM
This still going com'on Lucas dragging the chain a bit lol

tell me about it! I had the damn bar on the work ute when i picked it up from the painters and i didnt even think to call past the bolt shop then!

taslucas
11th May 2013, 07:35 PM
The reason the m12 bolt screwed in is coz its smaller and the 1.75 pitch is really close, hope ARB used all the same bolts lol coz then i'll look like a dick! Haha

im beginning to think that the captive nuts are an "aftermarket" addition

Alitis007
11th May 2013, 07:44 PM
im beginning to think that the captive nuts are an "aftermarket" addition

Why is that mate? Isn't it a 1/2"UNC ??

taslucas
11th May 2013, 08:19 PM
havent tried the 1/2" unc yet. The bar had been modified for a winch and a 2" body lift and i havent seen any arb bars with the same captive nut setup (im still only guessing its an arb bar) and the weld jobs on the nuts look a little home made but im not sure how they'd look if done at arb. Gotta be close now though! ill swap my bolts for the unc ones. Bugger all open here saturday and nothing open sunday so monday it is!

Alitis007
11th May 2013, 08:35 PM
I think Bunnings or mitre 10 should stock the 1/2" ones mate pretty sure they do actually but the cone in packs of 2 and black steel not zinc. If that bolt is still no good mate i suggest you take the whole bar to a bolt shop and get them to measure it.

Throw up a pic of the weld ?

taslucas
11th May 2013, 08:43 PM
Lol yeah i went to mitre10 but i wasnt looking for the 1/2 unc so they may have those. Closest bunnings is an hour and a half away:). Do ya reckon zinc is better than the black steel?

threedogs
11th May 2013, 09:56 PM
Got heaps oh 1/2" unc here 2" long Want me to express post some over Monday????????

taslucas
11th May 2013, 10:18 PM
haha nah thats cool mate, i couldnt ask that. Not %100 sure on the size yet. Thanks anyway:)

Alitis007
11th May 2013, 11:16 PM
Lol yeah i went to mitre10 but i wasnt looking for the 1/2 unc so they may have those. Closest bunnings is an hour and a half away:). Do ya reckon zinc is better than the black steel?

Yeh the black steel will rust fast and seize and i'm not sure if they are high tensile or not, so they're 7t not 8.8t.

taslucas
11th May 2013, 11:26 PM
Take the bar to the bolt shop, problem solved!!

No sh!t mate

EDIT: have a read of the thread

Alitis007
11th May 2013, 11:51 PM
How bout welding it on?? Saves money on bolts ay !!

taslucas
12th May 2013, 12:29 AM
Haha yeah true. I've spent the money on six bolts now and they told me I could swap them so I'll just do that. I've got to be close now!

FanTapstic!

threedogs
12th May 2013, 09:02 AM
Dragging on but glad you knocked it on the head at last, Phew all over a bolt. GF
Might have to start a sticky on bolts and the symbol etc. food for thought

More than happy to post bolts , this pic is to tease

taslucas
12th May 2013, 12:36 PM
your just a pic tease!

taslucas
12th May 2013, 01:02 PM
Well, i got a few 1/2" unc today and just tried them then. They do up nicely with fingers but get to that last two or three turns to go and bind up. Its exactly the same on all six nuts. And the 1/2" unc go in the same amount and feel exactly the same as the metric 1.75 that i had??? is that weird?
Could it be that the last time it was mounted it was slighlty cross threaded but the bolts werent long enough to go all the way through the nut. OR they have vibrated around a bit and wrecked the thread? It doesnt look that way to me but i dont really know how to tell.

Winnie
12th May 2013, 01:03 PM
Are the bolts painted? I had this trouble once and it was just paint or something on the bolts so did them up with a spanner and all was good.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

taslucas
12th May 2013, 02:14 PM
Nah ive just had a better look and it appears the thread inside the nuts is flogged out. Maybe the bolts werent done up tight enough in the past letting them move and vibrate around and flog out the thread?

Ok so a 19mm spanner fits perfectly (snuggly, no movement at all) onto the nut. That means it i should use the metric bolts i got? Whack em in and crank them past the last two rows of thread that are the problem?

threedogs
12th May 2013, 03:41 PM
19mm =3/4" same thing fits 1/2" UNC head

MudRunnerTD
12th May 2013, 06:25 PM
12 pages about some bull bar bolts??? and on page 12 we are still on topic?? WTF!

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:35 PM
Thats what I said on page one, Lucas just getting his post count up,
And agree 100% WTF better put lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, over to you Lucas

nissannewby
12th May 2013, 06:39 PM
19mm =3/4" same thing fits 1/2" UNC head

X2 said this earlier. I would use the 1/2 as they are slightly larger in diameter so will far better integrity.

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:43 PM
Maybe Lucas is having a blonde moment.
But this could become a sticky on the HISTORY of 1/2" UNC bolts Pweh
Hope everyone was paying attention, might be questions later

taslucas
12th May 2013, 06:58 PM
12 pages about some bull bar bolts??? and on page 12 we are still on topic?? WTF!

I like to keep em in line, no hijackers here! Lol

FanTapstic!

threedogs
12th May 2013, 07:03 PM
Love your work Lucas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Whats next UNC nuts lol

taslucas
12th May 2013, 07:25 PM
I'm the first to say "I'm dumb" so much so that I put it in the title haha. I had no idea about unc, unf etc etc, just haven't been around this kind of stuff.
And I only got hold of some UNC bolts today and to my surprise they fit the same as the metric ones I got. So after a closer look I reckon the thread is flogged out, but flogged out the same on all 6 nuts.
1/2" UNC it is and just crank em through the last two rounds if thread with a spring washer to help keep it tight

FanTapstic!

nissannewby
12th May 2013, 07:35 PM
Throw some sort of lube on them too Lucas. If you don't have anti seize you can use grease or oil.

Ben-e-boy
12th May 2013, 07:35 PM
I'm the first to say "I'm dumb" so much so that I put it in the title haha. I had no idea about unc, unf etc etc, just haven't been around this kind of stuff.
And I only got hold of some UNC bolts today and to my surprise they fit the same as the metric ones I got. So after a closer look I reckon the thread is flogged out, but flogged out the same on all 6 nuts.
1/2" UNC it is and just crank em through the last two rounds if thread with a spring washer to help keep it tight

FanTapstic!

Intellectually challenged lol.

I would also accept that
You could lift a cow , but cannot spell it. Or,
Strong like ox, smart like tractor lmao

taslucas
12th May 2013, 08:50 PM
Throw some sort of lube on them too Lucas. If you don't have anti seize you can use grease or oil.

yep got some anti seize.

taslucas
12th May 2013, 08:52 PM
Intellectually challenged lol.

I would also accept that
You could lift a cow , but cannot spell it. Or,
Strong like ox, smart like tractor lmao

cant reed or rite but i can drive a tracta

TPC
12th May 2013, 08:57 PM

FanTapstic!

Is it just me that cringes reading this?

taslucas
12th May 2013, 08:59 PM
hahaha probably not the only one cringing mate..... whats got you worried?

dom14
13th May 2013, 03:28 PM

I like the word 'bolt shop'. :thumbup::)

threedogs
13th May 2013, 03:33 PM
I can read writing but can't read reading, lol
Mods please close thread unless Lucas needs to add more

taslucas
13th May 2013, 04:07 PM
It's cool, it'll die by itself.....

FanTapstic!

threedogs
13th May 2013, 04:27 PM
Did you get Email yet???

taslucas
13th May 2013, 05:50 PM
Did you get Email yet???

Nah mate, haven't seen it?

FanTapstic!

taslucas
19th May 2013, 09:04 AM
TA - DAAAA!
It's on now. Lets go run into stuff!

Alitis007
19th May 2013, 09:09 AM
Its crooked, take it off and do it again!! Lol looks good mate and it only took you a month hahahaha

BTW CUT THE GRASS!!! Hehe

taslucas
19th May 2013, 09:25 AM
Haha yeah about time I cut the grass. Too much fun going driving:-).
Nice and icy out there this morning

McCulture

Alitis007
19th May 2013, 09:28 AM
Swing a few donuts with the commo, should take the grass a while to grow back haha. It looks icy, haven't even got out of bed yet loool

threedogs
19th May 2013, 10:01 AM
1/2 unc thread closed WTF. pick another bolt size or a question on Zinc passivated bolts
This one was sooooooooooooo interesting, lol
But your Patrol looks ready to tackle the tough Tassie Terrain , do you realise thats 6 "T" words in a row,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW
Gunna hit the pill pot now, LOL