PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh...ZD30 waiting for a tow truck

ShaunM
7th May 2013, 10:02 AM
Driving to work, 15 minutes from home, I glance down and notice the temp gauge on HOT. Now I'm waiting for a tow to my mechanic.

Thermostat? Head? What else? Taking bets...

taslucas
7th May 2013, 10:11 AM
Oh no! Hopefully you stopped before too much damage occured?
Goodluck mate, hope it's not too major

FanTapstic!

Sir Roofy
7th May 2013, 10:33 AM
Driving to work, 15 minutes from home, I glance down and notice the temp gauge on HOT. Now I'm waiting for a tow to my mechanic.

Thermostat? Head? What else? Taking bets...

what was your last activity before the mishap?

ShaunM
7th May 2013, 10:47 AM
Normal driving. About half way into that 15min trip there was a reasonable size hill. Drove up it at about 60km/h 3000rpm I think.

Sir Roofy
7th May 2013, 10:50 AM
Normal driving. About half way into that 15min trip there was a reasonable size hill. Drove up it at about 60km/h 3000rpm I think.

my guess it will be the head

Maxhead
7th May 2013, 10:52 AM
So did you have a look under the bonnet???? Was there coolant anywhere? may be just a blown hose...

Hoping its something simple anyway

ShaunM
7th May 2013, 11:15 AM
So did you have a look under the bonnet???? Was there coolant anywhere? may be just a blown hose...

Hoping its something simple anyway

Couldn't see any leaks or disconnected hoses.

the ferret
7th May 2013, 11:43 AM
Not something simple like a fan belt is it??
Cheers, the ferret.

MEGOMONSTER
7th May 2013, 12:18 PM
Could be just "Goats Syndrome".
Blocked radiator cores due to mixing different types if coolant together causing it to turn to glug, thus blocking the core. But you'll only know when you remove the core from the radiator.
"Goats syndrome" has made its way through many a Patrol now.

threedogs
7th May 2013, 12:40 PM
What ever it is it will be time to NAD it to stop any future problems.
Fingers crossed for you.

Sir Roofy
7th May 2013, 02:10 PM
Not something simple like a fan belt is it??
Cheers, the ferret.

thought of that first up rod

threedogs
7th May 2013, 04:10 PM
No noise reported so hopefully pistons 3 & 4 will be ok.
This is why I love guages as driving by them {my term}
you can see whats happening, but this time light came on when it was too late;
Any news yet???

Maxhead
7th May 2013, 04:13 PM
No noise reported so hopefully pistons 3 5 4 will be ok.

Hmmm, pistons 3 5 4 ???? It's a ZD30 4cylinder turbo diesel 3D..

threedogs
7th May 2013, 04:27 PM
Press caps button , yeah yeah yeah lol

ShaunM
7th May 2013, 08:18 PM
No news yet. My mechanic was flat out, I told him not to stress about it as I was able to borrow a car from work. So I should find out what it is tomorrow.
I've been collecting bits to "NAD it". I've got the pillar pod, EGR plate, Dawes valve. Gauges are next on the list but have had expense after expense coming in lately so they keep getting put off...

Bloodyaussie
7th May 2013, 09:16 PM
No news yet. My mechanic was flat out, I told him not to stress about it as I was able to borrow a car from work. So I should find out what it is tomorrow.
I've been collecting bits to "NAD it". I've got the pillar pod, EGR plate, Dawes valve. Gauges are next on the list but have had expense after expense coming in lately so they keep getting put off...

I know that feeling...... the needs overtaking the wants!!!!!!!

mudski
7th May 2013, 09:19 PM
I know that feeling...... the needs overtaking the wants!!!!!!!
Yeah! And you NEED a locker don't you?

SonOf
8th May 2013, 12:28 PM
Hopefully only something minor for you. Mine was the head when I experienced the same issue.

Hoppers do a good replacement if it is, they were really good to me when mine went. Plus side got to check out all the pistons to make sure #3 was OK and then added all the NADS gear when done. Have recently put a new turbo on mine as last one went pop after 350,000 and they would not warranty the new one if I reconnected the dawes valve. Told the Mechanic to leave it off and acted all good, reconnected it when I got home :-).

Auto-meter gauges, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTOMETER-SPORT-COMP-EGT-PYROMETER-AND-BOOST-GAUGE-/271200454924?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f24ce890c

Seems to be the best for price, got mine from him and service, quality was great. Definitely a must before you can add the dawes etc but hear you on costs, no sooner had I completed mine then I picked up a TD42 so now it is back to point 1 with adding stuff, it is a disease I am sure but worth suffering

ShaunM
8th May 2013, 05:03 PM
Ok, just got told it's the head gone. What sort of price should I be looking at for a mechanic to fix this?

threedogs
8th May 2013, 05:39 PM
ARe you getting a new or reco head if thats the case I'll put my hand up and say $2k

Sir Roofy
8th May 2013, 05:55 PM
Ok, just got told it's the head gone. What sort of price should I be looking at for a mechanic to fix this?

sorry to hear that on a lighter note what do I win lol
price wise $3500 labour is the killer here

89gqpatrol4x4
8th May 2013, 06:11 PM
sorry to hear mate, hopefully many trouble free years after this one!

TPC
8th May 2013, 06:15 PM
Hope it doesn't cost you too much.

What year is it and how many Ks?

SonOf
8th May 2013, 06:35 PM
Cost me around $2300 for a recon head from Hoppers Heads in VIC & another $2100 for labor -

I had some people give me estimates of up to $6k but all up I came in under $5k

threedogs
8th May 2013, 07:25 PM
WOW some huge prices there, So I would Highly recommend NADDING your patrol when its back on the road OUCH

paulyg
8th May 2013, 08:52 PM
Heads cracking seem to happen a bit, are there any after market heads that are as good as or better than the original Nissan heads?

ShaunM
8th May 2013, 11:27 PM
Hope it doesn't cost you too much.

What year is it and how many Ks?

2005, 208000 km

ShaunM
11th May 2013, 07:29 AM
I miss the Patrol after driving an '80s Courier ute that's done millions of km for a week!
Still weighing up what to do and waiting on another firm quote.
Have been quoted $4500-$5000 for a reco head fitted.
Can put a brand new ZD30 in for $8500.
Don't anyone talk about a conversion, there's no way I can afford that.
I think just doing the head will leave me worrying about pistons going down the track and even the head going again if I just get a reco head...
This has been making me feel sick all week.

happygu
11th May 2013, 08:51 AM
I miss the Patrol after driving an '80s Courier ute that's done millions of km for a week!
Still weighing up what to do and waiting on another firm quote.
Have been quoted $4500-$5000 for a reco head fitted.
Can put a brand new ZD30 in for $8500.
Don't anyone talk about a conversion, there's no way I can afford that.
I think just doing the head will leave me worrying about pistons going down the track and even the head going again if I just get a reco head...
This has been making me feel sick all week.

Can you put a new motor in and sell the current bottom end? That might get you a couple of thousand back.......or even find a cheap head to go with it and sell it as complete but disassembled....

Mic

ShaunM
24th May 2013, 03:29 PM
The saga goes on... When I last posted the head hadn't been taken off yet but I was considering a new engine suspecting the worst. I decided it would be silly of me not to investigate the extent of the damage so had been waiting for the mechanic to open it up. He's had a look now and my suspicions had been right. He thinks the previous owner did a dodgy patch up job to sell it... Definitely needs a new motor.

Now to my question.
My mechanic recommends getting the injection pump serviced and reprogrammed and timing chain and tensioners replaced. This adds another $1000 or so to the engine swap.
Ferntree Gully Nissan tell me they don't do this and don't think it's necessary.
What are everyone's thoughts?

threedogs
24th May 2013, 03:57 PM
I would just NAD it IMO, Never heard that other rubbish helping.
Manual boost does is peace of mind, thats for sure

Engine swap and NADS

ShaunM
27th May 2013, 06:12 PM
Was just at the mechanics and he showed me the intake manifold - completely blocked! My car could have been used as the perfect advertisement for doing NADS. Bent head, cylinder 3 gone, blocked intake manifold...

Rumcajs
27th May 2013, 07:32 PM
Was just at the mechanics and he showed me the intake manifold - completely blocked! My car could have been used as the perfect advertisement for doing NADS. Bent head, cylinder 3 gone, blocked intake manifold...

Pictures please!
I'd do injection pump however I never heard of one being done for $1,000 and there is new software update for those pumps to fix fuelling issues .....! I'm assuming "swing" motor comes with new injectors. Spending one grand extra now will save you 4 grand in the future. Unless you are of course looking at quick fix to get rid of it.

Cheers

Drew
27th May 2013, 08:52 PM
Mate I know how you feel, I had a Mazda 626 that had the head off twice, back then only newly married I felt violated each time and took us ages to recover (my stitches have just healed :)).

I hope it ends up ok for you.

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

Mikees
10th July 2013, 02:27 AM
I feel your pain. Mine has done that twice. Rooted head on both occasions. Could be a lot of things. Start with the cheap things and work from there.

schanmala
11th July 2013, 05:40 PM
Hi ShaunM,

How did you end up going with this?
Hope its all up and running

Cheers,
Scott

ShaunM
12th July 2013, 06:32 PM
Hi ShaunM,

How did you end up going with this?
Hope its all up and running

Cheers,
Scott

Had a new ZD30 put in and did NADS, hopefully this one lasts me a long time. The drop in EGTs after installing NADS is amazing!

CrossCountry
13th July 2013, 06:37 PM
I had similar problem recently and found radiator core 75% blocked. Now with new radiator - much better.