PDA

View Full Version : zd 30 into GQ?

90mav
7th May 2013, 08:26 AM
Has anyone done this conversion? During my recent dilemma having thought id be replacing my ZD30 navara engine, I discovered they are not as expensive as Id thought. Plus if a navara engine is used I wouldnt have the problems the patrol engine has...
I recently helped a mate fit a TD42 to his ZD30 patrol and aside from fabricating engine mounts, the conversion would just require the bellhousing from the ZD30 gearbox, plus of course all the wiring and ECU.
Could be very economical, cheaper rego (in QLD) and navara engines are not hard to get hold of from importers.

threedogs
7th May 2013, 04:37 PM
First Question would be why, as you still have a 3lt trying to propell a heavy 4x4 which IMO leads to a lot of problems.
Might be better off going down XR6 or LS2 road. A few being done as we type,

BigRAWesty
7th May 2013, 08:29 PM
I'm with td.. seams a lot of work and pain, for very little if any gain..

Your putting the motor into a much heavier vehicle so there goes the economy straight up..
But I'd also look at it as $2000 roughly for maybe 5L/100k.. at $1.30 that's $6.50/100k... (i think this is right) but you'd need to rack up 30,000k before the mod would start to save money...
Food for though my friend..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Gq jack
16th June 2013, 01:12 AM
Don't do it!!

We made the mistake of rebuilding a RD28 :-O

Then we wisened up and put a TD42 Turbo in..... I will never go lower in a 4WD again. Plus screw a common rail up and the spare part costs more than the good ol Mechanical. I dare say one is easier to DIY ;-D