PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket air box's, what are people using?!

Frontbumfab
6th May 2013, 11:56 AM
im after a air box and not sure how to go, i would love a patrol docta one but looking for a cheaper option, something with a 4 inch outlet for the snorkel is needed and can always get reducer for the other end,any help appreciated

BigRAWesty
6th May 2013, 12:15 PM
get a bit of stainless 4" pipe however long, and beat one end into a square.. Work on just the edge. keep the height the same as the original air box, the cut off original air box intake so just a small lip sits inside the new square to round and weld on..
leave 10mm unwelded on the underside and this is you water exit point..

taslucas
6th May 2013, 12:24 PM
Hi mate, have a look at the below thread. Post #3 may be what your after?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19178-Custom-Snorkel-setups

nissannewby
6th May 2013, 01:00 PM
For your setup with the twin turbs the biggest box you can fit would be the go. The patroldocta air boxes aren't much better than a standard gu one once you put the filter in. Have a look at radius fab or fatz fab they do some nice boxes

threedogs
6th May 2013, 05:14 PM
Also see if FLAMMIN FABs are still going Warrens work is imppecable.
He has heaps of Comp truck experience, highly recommend

what area are you from?????

Frontbumfab
7th May 2013, 10:57 AM
Cheers guys. Ill have a look at them, im from nsw 2 hours south of sydney. Space is kind of an issue to and the patrol docta on is in the perfect spot. I was even considering a kn pod style one. You can get sealed s/ s ones on ebay for 160 or there abouts.

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:18 AM
I was having a look at some just the other day, and from what some of the guys where saying a panel filter out flows a pod but anyway this is what i found.

Frontbumfab
7th May 2013, 11:31 AM
Well thats good to know then. Im aiming for the back of the engine bay because of where the inlet for the turbos comes out. And i think the snorkel coming out the bonnet is nice and neat. Might just have to bight the bullet and get one of these

taslucas
7th May 2013, 11:32 AM
I was looking for something else and found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GQ-Nissan-Patrol-EFI-Airbox-TB42E-Australian-Made-LPG-gas-Alloy-intake-Aluminum-/280934809612

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:39 AM
Well thats good to know then. Im aiming for the back of the engine bay because of where the inlet for the turbos comes out. And i think the snorkel coming out the bonnet is nice and neat. Might just have to bight the bullet and get one of these

That looks like the mill weld one?? That would work if you don't have ABS or mind cutting your bonnet.

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:40 AM
I was looking for something else and found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GQ-Nissan-Patrol-EFI-Airbox-TB42E-Australian-Made-LPG-gas-Alloy-intake-Aluminum-/280934809612

I seen that too and i found the website of the mob that make them
http://www.precisionalloy.com.au/

Frontbumfab
7th May 2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah no abs and dont mind cutting anything:D
Its a patrol docta one. He said 460 for the box alone wich is pretty good i guess. My mate will whip up a snorkel the same for me too. Ill look at that website now

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:50 AM
You could plumb the turbo to the front and leave that area clear for second battery but its really a personal preference .....

Frontbumfab
7th May 2013, 11:59 AM
You could plumb the turbo to the front and leave that area clear for second battery but its really a personal preference .....

Yeah this has gone through my head but the inlet for the turbos( two of them:D) is facing the guard closer to the back so i thought id leave it all up there and move my washer and coil towards the front. No need for a second battery. I barely even have the radio on haha

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 03:08 PM
Twin turbo air boxes are fairly big mate and i'm not sure if that style of box will flow enough, you might have to make a custom box or run a big box like the last one that was out of an F350?

Frontbumfab
7th May 2013, 06:58 PM
Ill look at a standard 1jz airbox. Im pretty sure to smaller turbos would be around the same as a big single.

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 10:53 PM
Ill look at a standard 1jz airbox. Im pretty sure to smaller turbos would be around the same as a big single.

Thats a good idea but the 1jz is a 3ltr your running a 4.2 so the box will have to be a bit bigger plus your turbos might run out of puff at high rpm

BigRAWesty
7th May 2013, 11:01 PM
Thats a good idea but the 1jz is a 3ltr your running a 4.2 so the box will have to be a bit bigger plus your turbos might run out of puff at high rpm

Its a tb42, it doesn't do high rpm... :p

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Alitis007
7th May 2013, 11:10 PM
Don't worry mate the TB motors find a way i can tell you, they just need to breath....

Frontbumfab
7th May 2013, 11:11 PM
Its a tb42, it doesn't do high rpm... :p[/URL]
hahah your dead right there. All the work will be done crawling. Drive it like a diesel

choochie
8th May 2013, 01:08 AM
I'd like a patrol docta box but yeah a bit pricey. Ended up getting a gu td42 box today :)

Frontbumfab
8th May 2013, 05:53 PM
My problem

Alitis007
8th May 2013, 10:26 PM
You could plumb 2 separate intake tubes to the turbos then run a series 6, 7 or 8 RX7 or from a JC Cosmo coz they run twin turbos and being a rotary need a not of air flow, but not sure how water tight they are OR make your own if your game enough.

I'm planning of slapping one together but not sure what type of filter i'm going to run...

taslucas
8th May 2013, 10:36 PM
i have no idea what im really looking at but could the outlet of the turbos (thats the single larger pipe higher than the rest??) be aimed towards the intake side? That is unless your intercooling it? In that case is there enough clearance to aim the pipe straight up? like i said, i have no effen idea what im even looking at lol

nissannewby
8th May 2013, 10:51 PM
That's the intakes for the turbos Lucas. You could do as 007 said but I can't see to many issues there. Maybe cut and slim the front inlet around so they both point forward.

taslucas
8th May 2013, 10:54 PM
the intakes are the two smaller pipes? Do they have to point forward or could the airbox be where the coil is at the moment?

Frontbumfab
9th May 2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah the outlets will be running straight to a front mount as low as possible but cant start fabbing them up until i decide on an air box. Look at my build up more pics there. This is why i was thinking a patrol docta box because one
90 bend and your in. If that box will fit there. Other option is turn the intake over and do a loop back around and i can run whatever airbox i want but it will be ugly that way.:confused:

Ricardo00
9th May 2013, 07:44 PM
This maybe getting a bit of topic but very interesting reading for those looking at alternative intakes http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/td42t-air-filter-option-85692/.

More on topic is anyone running "re-purposed" intakes from other cars or custom air-boxes? When I saw this thread pop up I was hoping someone would say the air box from xxxx is a perfect fit takes a panel filter and flows real good, we could all then got to the wreckers and pick one up real easy :). So far it seems there aren't many out of the box options other than the common ZD30, and mainstream custom boxes like the Patrol Docta and Mill Weld examples which look great but are pretty pricey.

In my travels I have come across the below which shows a LS1 airbox I guess out of a commodore and a massive land cruiser airbox which uses a round filter element and a lot of room.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/ls1-powered-gq-airbox-ideas-73216/index2.html