PDA

View Full Version : Florix's GU RD28ETI

florix
6th May 2013, 09:38 AM
Ok so this is my Little thread about my Patrol.

I purchased my Patrol for a few reasons, to carry the troops (5.1 boys and the misso) plus be able to have fun off the road and tow my MX bike/boat.

Year/Make: 1998 GU ST 2.8 Turbo Diesel.

I have only had my Patrol for a bit under a year now and she was just a stock Patrol. I have gone through the car and fixed/added a few extras.

Past issues fixed:
The Patrol had the common 'wobbles' so I have just gone through it and replaced all bushes/castors in the front end.
The car was overheating a little so I spent a day replacing the thermostat (leaked and had to do ti twice). But now she isn't heating under load or up a hill. I am a little crazy so every 5000 she gets a service, The car has only had two previous owners But wasnt the cleanest car around as far as servicing goes it was off to the garage and they will do what is needed sort of style. The body and interior is in good nic though.

Mods and Issues found:
I have also lifted the car 2" and was going for a 2" body but apparently airbags are a problem? Some say yes and some say no. I dont want to mess with the airbags but I wouldn't mind and extra 2"s.

The sound system has been changed to Alpine with all type R speakers. Wanted quality and punch as I didn't want a Sub. I went for the double din touch screen which looks very nice and run All my speakers on an amp not the Head unit. I also put a centre roof mount DVD player in which runs on its on set up so when we are on the long trips the kids can watch movies. I Did have a reverse camera (towing) but she got crunched, so its back on my to do list.

The exhaust is a 3" mandrel with no muffler. I did have a high flow and for those of you wondering the change is a lot better, spools fast without muffler and breathes that much the turbo sounds like Charley sheen and 1000 rows of coke . If I ever need to I can chuck the muffler back on because there are now two connectors each side of the exhaust so I don't have to mess around with it all.

Defense wise I just have TJM bull bar but I am getting a rear bar with wheel carrier and some sliders as those alloy steps are so strong.... I am also going to place a bash plate under her for a little more protection.

She also has a new Head

Lighting is currently just a great white LED bar on the bull bar and some nice halos.

To come mods

I am going to look at more front end mods as I have fixed the wobble but I still want perfection and no more dramas.

She is going to get alot tougher with some sliders and brush bars and a metal rear bar plus I am waiting on my roof cage to arrive. I will be placing a 50" LED bar on the front of the cage for a little extra light and also a small one on the rear plus a reverse camera, heavy duty so she doesn't get broke again.

I am waiting to hear back from a supplier about some gauges (EGT and boost) I went for Racetech gauges as they had the features I am after and a nice price. The EGt has an audible plus light warning system and the way they look is amazing. at just $150 for EGT and $85 for the boost I cant go wrong. Once that is all done up goes the PSI lol

With in the next few days I should receive my Donator Speed box to add to the power.

I am still indecisive as to the tires i want, need new ones. I am looking at MT ATZ and also Cooper S/T MAXX
I want to go to a 33" but want to hear from people with a 2.8 and similar mods but with bigger tires. Dont want to lose performance too much thats all.

Somewhere along the lines I am going to block the EGR

Plus with another boy! on the way I need a new back seat...

OK so that is all I can think of at the moment.

Pics will be added at a later stage if your interested

Hope you like my ride.

I am always open to suggestions so please dont hesitate to suggest ;)

florix
6th May 2013, 10:59 AM
I am also looking at these lights If anybody has them let me know what you think please.... Micks HID Projector Retrofits (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/micks-hid-projector-retrofits-84/)

rusty_nail
6th May 2013, 11:10 AM
I have also lifted the car 2" and was going for a 2" body but apparently airbags are a problem? Some say yes and some say no. I dont want to mess with the airbags but I wouldn't mind and extra 2"s.

hey mate, as far as i know its illegal to body lift airbag fitted cars (dont know why) but i know in NSW it will get your car defected as its happened to a mate of mine. unless your planning on fitting 37's there is no need for it.

great write up tho looking forward to pics!!!

NissanGQ4.2
6th May 2013, 11:14 AM
I am also looking at these lights If anybody has them let me know what you think please.... Micks HID Projector Retrofits (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/micks-hid-projector-retrofits-84/)

Mick is also a vendor on here and is a top bloke: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12691-HID-Projector-headlamp-kits-to-suit-GQ-and-GUs/

Send him a PM with any questions you may have

Cheers

Todd

nissannewby
6th May 2013, 11:44 AM
I have his lights both in my GU and my GQ. They are awesome a very good upgrade indeed.

florix
6th May 2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info Rusty. I am in NSW so wont do the lift. I know the total height is ok but didn't know it was illegal to do it with airbags. Thanks Todd I will have a look here as I cant post due to issues on the other forum :( I will pop him a PM and see what he has to offer..

I just ordered my tires..... and rims too! wont be in Aus until mid june! But I think they are worth the wait.
Micky Thompson Sidebiter
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/phil_florix/Sidebiterwheel-thumb.jpg
Micky Thompson ATZ 4 Rib
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/phil_florix/tyre-atz-4-rib-thumb-1.jpg

trekster
7th May 2013, 06:51 AM
Did you end up going the 33's? I recently fitted 33's to mine and didn't notice much in the way of performance, i did notice however that the speedo was corrected for me :)

Look forward to seeing some pics!

Regards,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

florix
11th May 2013, 06:50 PM
hey yeah i went with 33 but still have time to change my mind, next step is 35. will get picks up next weekend.

scratch that 35s on the way

florix
30th May 2013, 08:02 PM
OK k so a little bit of an update is in order I suppose.

After several discussions with the old man I have decided to do a conversion to a TD42TI. I have a donor car and will be going up on monday to check it all out and see if its acceptable. Hope all goes well.

Now after many different answers I am still confused with one thing and was wondering if somebody could shed some light on the subject please.
The Donor car is a 2003 GU TD42TI ute. I want to keep my tail shaft and alot of people are stating I cant. I am thinking they just want me to spend more money. Can I keep the tail shaft and just bolt on or do i need to change something in order for it to fit.
The throttle pedal in the RD28t is electronic. has anybody done this conversion and kept it or did you change it and why (need to or just to be safe)

One more thing too. Does anybody have a BMR radiator in there rig? They literally custom make a radiator to your specs. You tell them the size. engine, and use and they make it for you. They are 2 row rads but they state you dont need more because of the way they make them. They are however aluminum so you run the risk of destroying them. Was thinking the BMR would be good and easy to do with the conversion so its just a 'bolt on' instead of mucking around with the radiator.

Anyway. I will keep an update of the conversion with before after. If you have any advise or want to know certain things when I am doing the conversion then please dont hesitate.