PDA

View Full Version : Jaycar Speedo Correction Mk2 kit

asdex
4th May 2013, 04:57 PM
Hi, I have made up one of these kits and have got the speedo out of my 1993 Safari ok. I just can't figure out where to wire it into though. I have replaced three components on the board as suggested so it will run on 24 volts. It looks like the speedo wires are 10, 23 and 24 but I'm not sure which I interrupt to take into the board input then out of the output to the speedo. Has anyone connected in one of these kits?
My speedo is a type A and the Safari is a 4.2 diesel.
Thanks,

Rumcajs
4th May 2013, 07:10 PM
I've got one of these sitting on my shelf still in its packaging but connecting it should be simple. Those 3 wires on the speedo should be easy to figure out with multimeter as one will be a supply, one earth and one should be signal. Use multimeter to find out which one is which and than use the signal wire to connect to speedo corrector.
Cheers

Bloodyaussie
4th May 2013, 07:26 PM
Wait for the god that is Yendor or send him a PM mate....

Yendor
4th May 2013, 08:59 PM
I haven't seen one of the Jaycar kits are you able to post the fitting instructions?

The speedo sensor wires are pins 22 and 24 at the speedo cluster for the GQ's.

I'm guessing it's the same for the Safari's...... the wires colours should be Sky Blue and Grey.

asdex
5th May 2013, 08:16 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply. The fitting instructions arn.t for any specific vehicle and are pretty short:
"Connect power (use ignition switched source), ground, speedo "in" and speedo "out""
I'll look for the coloured wires you mentioned and see If one is ground or +ve so the other should be speedo pulse and connect to that one.
Thanks,

asdex
5th May 2013, 08:47 AM
Hi I have had a look and can see the sky blue wire and the grey. The grey is the O/D off. The speedo has four screws at the back that connect the copper circuits to it. I can see the ground and ignition screws.
There are two others one marked 2P and the other +. The sky blue wire is connected to +. The 2P has an orange with pink wire connected to it. I'm not sure how long I can leave the ignition on to test things as I don't want to leave power on the glow plugs for too long. I have no indication now with the speedo unit removed to tell me if the glow plugs and on or not.
Would anyone know which is the pulse input: 2P or +.
Thanks,

Yendor
5th May 2013, 09:54 AM
If you are having trouble finding the correct wires at the instrument cluster you can tap into the speedo sensor harness under the vehicle at the speedo sensor.

Or at least look at the colour of the wires are at the sensor. You can then use an ohmmeter to confirm the correct wires. Safari's might use slightly different wire colours.

Have a look at this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20335-Speedo-Correction-using-Jaycar-Speedo-Kit-GU-07-TB48-Auto

asdex
5th May 2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks, I'll have a look for the sender when it stops raining.
Cheers,

asdex
10th May 2013, 06:31 AM
Hi I still have a few problems with finding the correct wires to fit this speed corrector the grey wire goes to the OD off light and the sky blue to the +ve of the speedo. I havent been able to find a wiring diagram to match the wiring of the 12 wire plug. The speed sender wiring is different to. Does anyone know if the pulse wire to the speedo is on to the 2p or the +ve to the speedo? My pictures show those two connections on the board. I am holding the plug as it goes into the socket and you can see that the grey wire goes to the overdrive off light. The Orange with pink goes to 2p on the speedo and the light blue to +ve. Dark blue with pink to ign. I have attached two pictures.
Thanks very much,