PDA

View Full Version : Fan under intercooler (RD28t)

trekster
3rd May 2013, 11:15 PM
Hello all,

Was giving the old girl a good clean under the bonnet today and it came to my attention that there is a fan under the intercooler (Had never noticed it before this)

So, Does anyone know how it is controlled and is it able to be overridden to control manually in cabin with a switch? Many years ago on my old vs commodore I had a negative switch to turn on my thermo fans when I used to get stuck in traffic..

Any information would be appreciated!

Regards,
Eric.

mud mut
4th May 2013, 12:58 AM
hi trekster

the fan is controlled by the temp sensor on the intercooler if you unplug the temp sensor on the intercooler the fan will run all the time when the engine is running thats how i have mine
i guess you could put in a switch but IMO it does bugger all not a very high powered fan just un plug the sensor so it runs all the time

Yendor
4th May 2013, 09:40 PM
The fan is switched on by a relay that is controlled via the ECU.

I would connected a wire at pin number 1 of the relay (or on the same wire at the ECU) and run this to your switch and the other side of the switch connect to ground.

trekster
5th May 2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks Yendor! At the moment have pulled the plug out like mud mut said, But in a few weeks I'll sort a switch out, I don't know if mine is the same as others, but it seems to pull a decent amount of air through it!

Regards,
Eric.