PDA

View Full Version : GU patrol switch locations

maverick01
3rd May 2013, 03:42 PM
Im in the process of installing an intercooler fan to an 05 GU 4.2.

Getting of that im stuck for ideas on where to install the switch. Now the blank off panel beside the dimmer switch is already used. Also being a manual around the gear selector already has the aerial switch and also a driving light switch.

My other option is to use the panels beside the sub tank switch which is a pain in the arse as you can never see it as i have a uhf remote face mounted on the lower part of the dash facia.

My other question is can i install 2 carlington switches below the demister switch without having to cut into the dash itself.

I will try to upload photos.

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 03:48 PM
While you have the dash apart, move the Subtank switch from that Stupid spot and swap it with the aerial switch which you rarely use. did it about 12 months ago and it is now where it should be!..

you could always slot an extra hole in that line on your gear stick surround? easy room for another switch there. what have you got in the big square panel below the dimmer?

Or slot a hole in teh left side panel of the centre console where the left hand drive hand brake would go.

When i do the Diff locks the switches will go in that gear surround and i will move the sub tank again probably.

maverick01
3rd May 2013, 03:48 PM
I have uploaded the photos.

As you can see where the demister switch is located. Im wondering if i remove the cover plate. Will it fit 2 carlington switches beside each other.

Carlington switches are the same as the arb air locker switches

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 03:50 PM
yes the plate in teh second pic will fit 2 carling switches side by side. Simon from 4wdTV has his Difflock switches there.

maverick01
3rd May 2013, 03:52 PM
Hi mudrunner.

What spot below the dimmer are you talking about. Beside the dimmer switch is the reverse light switch and there are no blank of panels below that.

I was actually trying to avoid chopping into the dash but if it has to happen then so be it.

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 03:53 PM
Sorry mate was trying to remember the layout from my desk. I meant the de-mister as per your pic 2

Maxhead
3rd May 2013, 03:54 PM
What about the middle console on the other side of the handbrake lever??? Thats where I have mine but mines a GU8. You could potentially fit 3 of those switches there

maverick01
Thanks alot for the info. Now i can fit the thermo fan switch there and also relocate the reverse light switch to that position. Which will give me another spare hole.

I will try to relocate the aerial switch to where the subtank switch is. I have always thought what a sh#t of a spot its in.

maverick01
Yea there are alot of spots to fit switches but once again you have to cut holes which is what i was trying to prevent but i know it will have to happen sometime.

Maxhead
3rd May 2013, 03:55 PM
What about the middle console on the other side of the handbrake lever??? Thats where I have mine but mines a GU8. You could potentially fit 3 of those switches there

EDIT: Darren beat me to it...LOL

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2013, 03:56 PM
Soooooo much better spot for the sub tank switch. Was an easy mod but the wires were to short and i remember i had to splice the loom and extend the wires to reach the new position. But i love it!!

Patrol-Guy
5th February 2014, 05:04 PM
Ok 2 questions.

1. How do you get out the blank plate from below the demister. Does the whole thing come out with the demister and hazards switches attached or do you have to go in from the back? Looks like maybe the whole 3 pop out together somehow.

2. How does the center console come apart to move the sub tank and arieal switches ?

megatexture
5th February 2014, 05:11 PM
There are two screws just above the aircon controls just undo them and pull the whole lot forwards from the bottom and it will come out its only clipped in at the top.

from memory there are two clips on the blank plate you can easily get to from the back

Kennyj1976
26th April 2014, 12:13 AM
Correct 2 clips accessed from the rear