PDA

View Full Version : Petrol in a diesel engine...

90mav
2nd May 2013, 05:03 PM
Yes it has happened to me...I loaned my ZD30 navara to a um, friend who stuck petrol in the tank and drove it till it stopped. Not sure of the score yet as Im still waiting for it to show up on a tow truck. Anyone had any experience with fixing this? I hear the fuel pump is the first to go so maybe im only up for that, but any chance of damage beyond that?
Any advice would be welcome!
Now im going to have to drive my petrol GQ to work for a bit, just to keep filling the tank up!

threedogs
2nd May 2013, 05:10 PM
A lot would depend how much fuel got into the system but think its going to be slightly painfull $$$$$ wise.
I take it your "mate" will pay.You'll need to change all fuel related filters etc, Fingers crossed for you Bud

jack
2nd May 2013, 05:10 PM
Hi 90mav,

There are a couple of threads on here about this happening to others, try the search option to find them.
If you have comprehensive insurance then your insurance company will cover this, best check that out as well.
Good luck

Punderhead
2nd May 2013, 05:18 PM
I have been there when an older Isuzu (rodeo) about a 1990 model had the same problem. on the side of the road we just drained all the fuel we could, and put in as much diesel as we could. It didn't work.

So we towed it back to the house, where after about a half a days worth of pushing out every last bit of petrol out of all the lines and everything it ran. no replacement parts required.

Dad also told me my uncle did it once. They were able to drain the tank and fill with diesel. then it ran (90something Rocky)

I'm not sure quite how the newer diesel will go unfortunately, but I'd just give it a go.

Cheers!

Brisat
2nd May 2013, 08:37 PM
Bloody hell, the rattling and banging would [should] be enough for you to stop the engine. Driving it till it stopped is just plain stupidity.
If you want to hear a light version of the noise take the air cleaner element out and wave a petrol soaked rag near the intake, not too close though.
Possibly about time servos just had a dedicated diesel bowser to stop this happening

TurboOne
4th May 2013, 12:06 PM
Bascially its a massive job. Insurance might cover it as an accidental, I would check on that. Were had customers come into work who has done that. You will have to recon the pump. More then likely you will get an on the shelf exchange. About $2900 there. Swap the injectors. If its common rail then you would be looking at about $600 plus each for the injectors plus the fuel rail. Non common rail about $250 each for worst case. You will need to drop the fuel tank and flush it out. Drop the lines and either flush or replace them. Change the filters. Could be more but I am not fully involved in the service side.

Were had some of these run as high as $12k once you add all the labor into it. Don't try a quick fix at home. Contact the insurance company, see if they will cover it and then take it to a proper diesel mechanic with experience. I don't know anyone near the Gold Coast as I am in Sydney but try Highway Diesel Service. They can do the job but can properly recommend someone closer to the Gold Coast.

90mav
6th May 2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks all for your advice over the last few days. Unfortunately the person who did the the deed is in no position to afford the repairs so I was stuck with it.
I decided to try the easiest (and cheapest!) options first to get the truck running again.
First I tried to drain the tank only to find that Navaras dont have a drain plug...What the heck? Anyway I dropped the tank and tipped it upside down and drained out about 20 lityres of oily unleaded, to be put aside for the mower. I then disconnected fuel lines from the filter and pump (at the banjo fittings so it drained the pump right out) then used compressed air to blow the lines backwards to the now removed tank ends including the return line.
I then refitted the tank, filled it up, fitted a new filter and bled the system...

Said a prayer and hit the starter........

She fired up with a slight bit more rattle for a few seconds and seriously, has NEVER run better than this in the last 2 years I have had it!!!!!

I now have witnessed a miracle, and also have a newfound respect for ZD30 engines. Pretty tough for a hand grenade eh?

MEGOMONSTER
6th May 2013, 09:35 AM
Well done. Glad it all turned out well.

rusty_nail
6th May 2013, 09:39 AM
lucky story mate, im glad to hear its not gonna cost a mint. youll know for next time to exaggerate the need for diesel only on the truck hey?

dom14
6th May 2013, 01:02 PM
That is so true. Servos are partly responsible for mishaps like these. We can't put LPG in a Diesel car that easily.
Though we can't expect things to be that easy with petrol-diesel mix ups, they could at least isolate the diesel pumps as a rule. Lot of servos do that already, but should be a rule though. Another thing would be great is that a simple warning system. It may be time somebody build a one.

Bloody hell, the rattling and banging would [should] be enough for you to stop the engine. Driving it till it stopped is just plain stupidity.
If you want to hear a light version of the noise take the air cleaner element out and wave a petrol soaked rag near the intake, not too close though.
Possibly about time servos just had a dedicated diesel bowser to stop this happening

First Nissan
7th May 2013, 11:48 AM
well done and congrats Mav.

Its nice to hear someone having a win :)

Lonicus
7th May 2013, 12:02 PM
Great news Mav!