PDA

View Full Version : oil light

Seanz
2nd May 2013, 12:21 PM
hi guys, 2007 3ltr GU after hard acceleration oil light appears pulled over checked oil level, good motor not hot.
dropped oil pan thought it may of been dirty pick up nothing engine has 160k's oil changed 5000ks any ideas about this Am about to install oil pressure gauge only thing to keep mind at ease about oil level

jgoose
2nd May 2013, 12:50 PM
Hi mate could be your oil pump cavitating under hi rpm what oil do you use?? try the pressure gauge 1st & seeif it improves

threedogs
2nd May 2013, 01:35 PM
My Mechanic says its a GU thing , mine does it all they time but not lately
All I do is stop turn it all off and start again,

Yendor
2nd May 2013, 01:45 PM
Is yours a common rail? There was a few cases where the oil pump bolts weren't torqued correctly and worked loose in the early common rail engines.

With a 160,000Ks on the clock I doubt if this will be your problem. It would still be a good idea to check while the sump is off.

Seanz
2nd May 2013, 02:06 PM
Common rail 03/2007 auto I run 10w 40 tried 5w still
did same thing even traveling light not towing the boat thanks.

Seanz
2nd May 2013, 02:18 PM
Cheers,
I run 10w 40 and have run 5w same thing happened
told by Nissan high oil sender faulty which 1 told there's 2
so thought gauge was best options

threedogs
2nd May 2013, 05:16 PM
I'm a big fan of guages, hate this light comes on your stuffed. I like to monitor how the motor is performing ,
Plus I can drive accordingly. Other than the Pillar pod there is not many places for other guages like water temp, oil and AT temps and pressure
maybe another dual on top of steering housing

Seanz
3rd May 2013, 08:42 AM
Oil light is a concern do you have pressure gauge setup
and if so is it from top sender above starter motor.
thanks again.

Rumcajs
3rd May 2013, 11:38 PM
Two oil pressure switches on ZD30, one above starter motor is the high pressure switch and one under turbo charger is low pressure unit. Easy to troubleshoot since only single wire is involved the switches break earth when engine is running (and obviously there is oil pressure) Most would put a T for additional gauge on the low side due to having more room/space. There is no room above starter motor and other way to do it would be to run a hose to remotely mounted sender which might be a bit risky.

Cheers

Seanz
8th May 2013, 08:49 AM
thanks Rumcajs, so passenger side is the low oil pressure side I take it either will do as a pick up for a gauge for pressure T section.
Will let you know the out come, has to be better knowing you have oil pressure

Cheers

Seanz
18th May 2013, 06:05 PM
Just another question, being a auto how do you find your 3'' exhaust going down hills towing not so much 4wding in low range but highway up and down hills does motor want to over run at times, and did you refit catalytic inverter or just straight thru no muffler. cheers

Seanz
18th May 2013, 06:12 PM
Fitting oil pressure gauge and boost gauges with alarm today, also replaced both high and low oil sensors lets see if problem persists,

Seanz
6th June 2013, 10:44 PM
All I can say is be careful if adding to much weight to the oil sender banjo bolt, mine was found to be stripped from a previous attempt or different sender had to manufacture a longer threaded bolt for oil sensor to screw onto, lots of upside down and looking at opposites thru mirror.
Best thing is it works and have gauge to see oil pressure not just that silly oil can light.

Seanz
8th July 2013, 06:20 PM
What's the oil pressure psi my zd30 should run at moment idle and up to running temperature it shows 2- psi
acceration 15-20 psi!
Spoken to Nissan don't want to know about, and other people have same figures
Just a concern when doing slow turning twisting saying no oil
but oil dipstick shows full. CRD ZD30 3/2007 any advice greatly accepted cheers

nipagu7
8th July 2013, 09:38 PM
hi , seanz .
manual says ; idle 21 psi . 2000 rpm 78 psi . 4000 107 psi . sounds like you have a problem with your oil pump system , maybe needs adjustment or perhaps bypass valve is stuck open . never had problems with this before myself so don't know how to tackle it atm . hopefully others can help .

Seanz
9th July 2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks for those psi numbers, Mmmm sounds like another one of those jobs you learn as you go along.
Oil relief valve probably in a great spot to work on too
cheers for the research!