PDA

View Full Version : Towing dilemma

BLKWDW
2nd May 2013, 07:34 AM
I got a bit of a dilemma i need some advice on. Im taking thr family away for my eldest daughters bday in a few weeks. Got a few mates coming and my brother and parents as well. Im taking the camper for obvious reasons to sleep in. I will also be taking the kids motorbikes and as i bought a motorbike last week and my bro bought one last night we'll be taking them as well.

So my problem is now i will be taking 2 trailers with my brother towing one of them. He's never towed before so which trailer do i give him. The camper is heavy and unbraked at the moment. The other trailer will be lighter to tow will weigh less then 500kg but the collective amount of what the bikes are worth far outweigh what i have bought and spent on the camper trailer.

What do u reckon.

Dales300exc
2nd May 2013, 07:38 AM
If the man cant tow a bike trailer with a couple of bikes on it, then he shouldn't have a bike lol.

BigRAWesty
2nd May 2013, 07:41 AM
Give him the bikes and just travel at 90k...
Better to take a bit longer on the trip than have a accident..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

BLKWDW
2nd May 2013, 07:46 AM
If the man cant tow a bike trailer with a couple of bikes on it, then he shouldn't have a bike lol.

There will be 5 bikes on the trailer ib total.

Im sure he will handle it alright towing but he is just a bit anxious about it not having done it before. Id rather him be like that then over confident.

Dales300exc
2nd May 2013, 07:48 AM
Its still only a few hundred kilo. Your not talking massive weight. Unless you're towing it with a tiny hatch back it will be fine!

BLKWDW
2nd May 2013, 07:53 AM
Its still only a few hundred kilo. Your not talking massive weight. Unless you're towing it with a tiny hatch back it will be fine!

Na will b with a shorty maverick

Dales300exc
2nd May 2013, 08:10 AM
I tow three full size bikes all the time, which is probably 360kgs plus trailer. Dont even notice it behind the patrol.

By the sounds of it some are small bikes, so he will be fine :) have a good weekend!

threedogs
2nd May 2013, 08:55 AM
Let him tow the trailer with the longest drawbar on it, M2Cw

BLKWDW
2nd May 2013, 10:33 AM
Let him tow the trailer with the longest drawbar on it, M2Cw

That wuld b the camper which is 2-3 times the weight of the trailrr and bikes

Sir Roofy
2nd May 2013, 10:40 AM
Let him tow the bikes @95k behind you,plus do a lap or two of the block with him its not hard

Bob
2nd May 2013, 11:51 AM
The hardest part for a Novice in towing a Trailer is reversing and allowing enough clearance when Parking.
As Roofy says get him to Practice before leaving

P4trol
2nd May 2013, 12:55 PM
Does he realise he isn't Brocky as soon as that trailer is attached? If he realises he needs more caution and attention, you're in luck. A few hints on the Uhf while travelling would work. Travel first to 'force' a slower speeds at necessary spots.

It he's already thinks it will be the same as without the trailer, you could have troubles.

BLKWDW
2nd May 2013, 01:03 PM
I know its not hard but he is on his green p's. Guess wat im really asking is if he does stuff up or sumfin does go wrong do i want the camper or bijes on the back of him.

threedogs
2nd May 2013, 01:46 PM
Mistakes happen As i remember years ago I jumped in my Mates Range Rover to whip down the General store to grab some ice,
upon returning did a big arch to reverse in spot I'd left, Now hindsight is a wonderful gift to have and I have it in bucket loads.
Not for one minute did I give thought to the Tinnie trailer on the back, so selecting reverse all I did was Jack knife everything.
I forgot trailer was on the back, CLASSIC ROOKIE MISTAKE that was circa 1980, funny though never done it since. lol

Reason for towing with longer draw bar is that they are more stable at speed and easier to reverse
.He/you wont get the wobbles up with the longer draw bar, weights not the issue IMO

the evil twin
2nd May 2013, 04:30 PM
Noone has ever towed a trailer until the first time they do... gotta start somewhere
Now, the camper trailer is the more stable of the two HOWEVER as you mention it is heavy and unbraked therefore I would do as follows;
You tow the Camper (a heavy unbraked camper on a SWB is asking for trouble in a panic stop)
You lead the trip
He tows the bikes
You therefore control the speed you cruise at and can also radio him if he is too close
If something happens he should be able to easily outbrake you anyway
Get as much practice in with him as you can so he can develop the art of reversing a trailer
Use the unladen bike trailer... if you can reverse a short draw bar then you can reverse anything
Try and get him to master using the mirrors for reverse but in the short term if he has to look over the shoulder no biggee with the bikes as he can still see.

You would already know a lot of the above... just laying it out for others new to towing who may see this thread

jack
2nd May 2013, 05:02 PM
I know its not hard but he is on his green p's.
Usually the young ones on P's are super confident, if he's a bit apprehensive I'd say that's a good thing. As said take him for a couple of laps of the block, plenty of encouragement and it will be fine.
Enjoy the trip.

BLKWDW
3rd May 2013, 04:13 AM
Yeh well we are going riding this weekend so miight get him to drive whilst im in tge car.