PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a GU/GU II ST/Ti - what to look out for?

BiLLz0r
29th April 2013, 01:09 PM
Hi all,

First post, long time Patrol lover.
I'm looking at buying a GU or GU II ST/Ti model for beach driving (Rainbow, Fraser, Straddie) in the 4.5Ltr Petrol. I have a budget of 15K max (12K prefer).
Anything I should be looking for before purchase? I'm hoping to get 1 around 200k km's (or lower would be real nice).
Advice I've received from someone else on another forum is:

Areas to look for are the front swivel hubs, check for leaking (parts are cheap) but the labour to do the job is steep.
Check for play in the wheels, some people neglect their wheel bearings and if its been through creek crossings and mud before. They need to be maintained.
Check for a wobble in the steering around 70-90kph.....(patrol death wobble) usually it's just a case of worn suspension and bushes. Not a major pain to fix.
Of course check out the transfer case and front diff, make sure they have been maintained with regular fluid changes listen for any strange noises.
The 4.5 petrol is a strong but thirsty motor, so LPG is a must, so be aware that some Patrol owners have had head issues around the 300000km mark, but again looked after they go 500000kms plus. Great motor.

LPG would be great but seems lot of lot for sale are Dual Fuel. It will be a 2nd car for me so generally only used for 4WD holidays or carrying stuff.

lhurley
29th April 2013, 01:19 PM
Jump over to the intro section and say hello, just something we like everyone to do.

Where about are you located??
I pretty have what you are looking for, has a few more km's then you want, but it has a brand new auto. Im looking at upgrading to a gq sometime soon anyway. Feel free to ask me some questions

BiLLz0r
29th April 2013, 02:17 PM
All intro'ed :)

I'm on the Gold Coast.

BiLLz0r
30th April 2013, 09:00 PM
After some research I've decided a GU III 4.8Ltr Ti is a better option. Better Auto (5sp), slightly better fuel economy, more power and torque. I'll have to wait a while before the budget can stretch that far though.

ktmarty
10th May 2013, 02:45 PM
Gidday there, I was going to go the same route and went with the earlier model. From what I found the GUIII certainly makes a lot more grunt but uses a lot more fuel to get the job done not less. Considering the intended use i'd personally be looking to spend less on the initial purchase not more. Just food for thought.

Cheers Marty

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2013, 02:58 PM
Save you cash and spend it on a Front Locker Air Compressor, Set of 285/75 R16 MTZs some Treads and an Exhaust Jack and your good to go.

Sand Driving is all about air pressure. Let the tyres down LOWWW and you will have little dramas. Start at 15psi and keep going down the softer the sand gets.

Have fun mate.

threedogs
10th May 2013, 03:34 PM
Only thing I might add is a trans cooler if you went Auto and a bigger radiator

BiLLz0r
10th May 2013, 06:41 PM
We've decided to put the whole project on hold anyway. After doing some "budgeting" (i.e. the wife called and said I'm not sure about this), we've decided my big boy toy will have to wait until we've paid off the current car loan (only 1 yr old, wish I never bought it, should have got a 4WD).

Still set on a Patrol though so will keep learning the ropes thanks to the forum members here.