PDA

View Full Version : Any plumbers on this great forum?

trekster
27th April 2013, 09:16 PM
Wondering if there are any plumbers on here to give me some advice on a small dilemma I have at my household frequently.

So at my place we have 2 bathrooms, Ensuite and a main bathroom. We use the ensuite every day toilet/shower/sink etc, the main bathroom toilet and sink get a bit of use, the shower never gets used and the bath every couple of days for the kids.

Now here the fun part, everytime they use the bath, the next day the bathroom reaks of a terrible smell, But only the day after we use the bath? We've tried flushing the shower, using some draino down the sink, Also tried filling up the waste in the floor with 2l of water but to no avail.

Wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on whats causing the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Eric.

NP99
27th April 2013, 09:51 PM
Does the bath have a S bend as part of the waste pipe? You may have stale water sitting there.

ozzyboy
27th April 2013, 09:53 PM
how old is the house, and is it a sewer smell?
I doubt it will be the s bend unless you have a small leak there. The water that sits in that "S", is what prevents the smell coming back up the pipe ... I think from memory

ozz

trekster
27th April 2013, 10:06 PM
how old is the house, and is it a sewer smell?
I doubt it will be the s bend unless you have a small leak there. The water that sits in that "S", is what prevents the smell coming back up the pipe ... I think from memory

ozz

Its about 8-9 years old, its on a slab, When they did it the genuises concreted or similiar the wastes in, so I can't even take them off to pour anything down the pipe to check it.....

ozzyboy
27th April 2013, 10:13 PM
ill take a punt and say its your drain trap or your sewer stack is blocked.
Maybe a trip up to the roof and take a peek in the stack?

ozz

NP99
27th April 2013, 10:46 PM
The stack would give that fart smell. What sort of smell is it?

trekster
27th April 2013, 11:23 PM
My wife describes it (while trying not to laugh) as a spicy tangy smell...

It doesn't smell the same as the toilet when there is no water in the bowl and you get pungent sewery smell....

We get a fair amount of mud wasps up here, maybe the fekkers have blocked up the vent pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzyboy
27th April 2013, 11:31 PM
check the vent
Failing that, 2 cups of straight bleach. leave it a couple mins, quick rinse thru. A hour later, run some water and see if it still smells

ozz

trekster
27th April 2013, 11:35 PM
check the vent
Failing that, 2 cups of straight bleach. leave it a couple mins, quick rinse thru. A hour later, run some water and see if it still smells

ozz

Thanks Ozz, which drain should I be aiming to bleach? The bath drain? Or all of them? Cheers for the help.

Regards,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzyboy
27th April 2013, 11:48 PM
bath mate. 2 cups is heaps. You only want enough to sit in the trap below bathtab/shower
The water that sits there is what is ment to prevent smell from sewer coming back. Let us know how ya go
ozz

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/ozzyboy2000/bathplumbin_zps07511793.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/ozzyboy2000/media/bathplumbin_zps07511793.jpg.html)

trekster
28th April 2013, 02:28 PM
bath mate. 2 cups is heaps. You only want enough to sit in the trap below bathtab/shower
The water that sits there is what is ment to prevent smell from sewer coming back. Let us know how ya go
ozz

Just put 2 cups in there, one thing I noticed while doing it was I could hear the water noise coming out of the trap in the floor.

Regards,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ozzyboy
28th April 2013, 07:25 PM
by the sound of that mate, might be time to call in a plumber, with a camera to take a peek.
I'd only be guessing from here on without being there

ozz

trekster
28th April 2013, 07:40 PM
by the sound of that mate, might be time to call in a plumber, with a camera to take a peek.
I'd only be guessing from here on without being there

ozz

Yeah most probably, However we will await tomorrow morning to see if it smells, and I will check the top of the vent failing that before calling in the pros!

Cheers for the help!
Regards,
Eric.

trekster
1st May 2013, 09:06 PM
:bowdown: Ozz you kind sir are a legend, Put some bleach down the hole and have given it a few days with uses and what not, there still seems to be no smell there :D I will run another batch through it this weekend but I think the bleach has fixed the smell :)

:thumbup::clapping::smiley_thumbs_up::049:

ozzyboy
1st May 2013, 09:22 PM
glad it worked mate.

ozz

AgustinAgustin
25th January 2014, 10:31 PM
I agreed what is said above!
Anyhow, It is important get to the main of the issue so that it does not occur again. For this you need the assistance of experienced plumbers (http://www.goldcoast-plumbers.com/), to solve it as soon as possible.