PDA

View Full Version : GQ Patrol Oil Pressure gauge not working properly

mtbrider4life
27th April 2013, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, I inspected a GQ patrol today that im looking at buying, and the oil pressure gauge is abnormally low, the guys selling it said its a common thing with patrols. Does anyone know if this is true or not ?
cheers

AB
27th April 2013, 05:40 PM
It is true mate very common problem. Mine drops after 5 minutes of driving. Might be a good idea to get it tested for a purchase but a common problem indeed.

mtbrider4life
27th April 2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks mate. Do you know how you do a oil pressure test on a TD42 ?

93patrol
27th April 2013, 06:22 PM
you unscrew the oil pressure sender and screw in a pressure guage from memory

mtbrider4life
27th April 2013, 06:27 PM
ok cheers mate

Brisat
2nd May 2013, 08:57 PM
Bloody useless original gauge, it will sit a needle width under the 4 for a week or so and then it will be a needle over the 2. I put a new gauge in it [electric] and have no pressure. The end result of that was 5 senders and 3 new gauges
1 of them digital and still have no pressure on the gauge.Vast expense and now have a mechanical gauge, 15 lbs at idle, 50 lbs @ 2000 rpm and 60 lbs @ 2500 rpm.
I have tried everything with the electrical gauges earthwise, even sitting the gauge on the battery neg did stuff all. I have tried using different power supply points even direct to the battery.
All attempts to get an electrical gauge to work have failed. Just a comment here, I have both electrical water temp gauge and oil temp gauge that have no problems at all, I can sit in the car and watch the gauge and know when the thermostat opens and closes
and also have checked the thermo housing with the infrared gun, same reading as the gauge

dom14
6th May 2013, 01:12 PM
How about using a sandwich plate between the block and the oil filter and then attach the sender to the that plate?!

Bloody useless original gauge, it will sit a needle width under the 4 for a week or so and then it will be a needle over the 2. I put a new gauge in it [electric] and have no pressure. The end result of that was 5 senders and 3 new gauges
1 of them digital and still have no pressure on the gauge.Vast expense and now have a mechanical gauge, 15 lbs at idle, 50 lbs @ 2000 rpm and 60 lbs @ 2500 rpm.
I have tried everything with the electrical gauges earthwise, even sitting the gauge on the battery neg did stuff all. I have tried using different power supply points even direct to the battery.
All attempts to get an electrical gauge to work have failed. Just a comment here, I have both electrical water temp gauge and oil temp gauge that have no problems at all, I can sit in the car and watch the gauge and know when the thermostat opens and closes
and also have checked the thermo housing with the infrared gun, same reading as the gauge

Brisat
6th May 2013, 10:56 PM
Used the sandwich plate first up for oil temp and pressure and also to connect a bypass oil filter, elements for this are 62 cents each so change them quite often, no pressure so it got changed to the oil pressure sender plug, didn't work there either. I have the mechanical one fitted in now and it's all good.
Cost $150.00 for the hose to connect it though, so it would want to work for a bloody long time Eh ! Bloody strange thing is that all the other gauges are electrical and apart from a water temp sender that was 40 degrees to hot they all seem to work ok

ctaylor58
16th February 2014, 12:03 PM
Yea I'm looking at going to an aftermarket one also, its so annoying

Robo
17th February 2014, 02:21 AM
Its not just a GQ thing it's seems to be generic nissan problem.
I had this same discussion with the mechanic that reco my GTR engine.