PDA

View Full Version : Free Wheel GQ behind motorhome??

ventman
27th April 2013, 04:07 PM
Hi can someone tell if it would be okay to free wheel a 1994 GQ behind motorhome on an A frame? A friend said that as long the diff gears are in oil all the time it will be alright. But if oil is pumped to gears when running then no go.

Thanx for help
Alan

threedogs
27th April 2013, 04:11 PM
Cant see a problem unless its an auto, Not sure on legallities with length etc, most
I've seen only have little Jimny or similar.

Parksy
27th April 2013, 04:19 PM
My assumption is that the rear tail shaft will need to be removed in order to do this. But I'm only assuming here.
Should clarify, reason being is that the manual for my old landy said if doing this that the rear tail shaft was to be removed prior to towing.

ventman
27th April 2013, 04:20 PM
Its a manual, I have a bus motorhome so figure why not tow the Nissan. it will handle it.. I would sooner tow that than a suzuki if I can.

Alan

threedogs
27th April 2013, 04:26 PM
I cant see why you'd need to drop the tailshaft if its a manual 4x4 just tow it in neutural.
Or am I missing something.

Parksy
27th April 2013, 04:35 PM
Not 100% but it's something about the gearbox/transfer cases ability to properly lubricate the gearbox when being towed.

ventman
27th April 2013, 05:12 PM
Not 100% but it's something about the gearbox/transfer cases ability to properly lubricate the gearbox when being towed.

This is what I thought may be the case. I just want to get to the bottom of it before doing it. If it's correct, there must be something different in the Jimny's. I know someone towing a Landcruiser free wheeling but I am not saying it's okay... He may not have done his homework.

threedogs
27th April 2013, 05:18 PM
Now I'm confused why do you need the gearbox to lubricate, your towing it out of gear?

ventman
27th April 2013, 05:47 PM
Now I'm confused why do you need the gearbox to lubricate, your towing it out of gear?

From what I am led to believe the gears in diff need to be in oil... if the gears in a GQ sit above oil and pumped around gears when motor running then you can't tow... well for any long distance anyway.. (This is my question).

A 2 tonne trailer is to heavy plus car... I am over GVM

Alan

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 05:57 PM

What he said ^^^^^ being in neutral would mean nothing is spinning in the gear box?? An 80 series with full time 4wd would be a whole other matter. Would not do that!

Why don't you just put it on a Braked Trailer?? Would be way way better surely

Cuppa
27th April 2013, 06:05 PM
Might be worth asking the question on a motorhome forum among folks who regularly A frame a variety of 'toads'. They will be familiar with what makes a vehicle suitable or otherwise.
Try http://aussiemotorhomers.com

Cuppa

Maxhead
27th April 2013, 06:08 PM
...just do it. if its on the a frame the front is off the ground and you're only towing the rear. Its just like driving it, the oil will flow around the rear diff..wont it?

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 06:14 PM
From what I am led to believe the gears in diff need to be in oil... if the gears in a GQ sit above oil and pumped around gears when motor running then you can't tow... well for any long distance anyway.. (This is my question).

A 2 tonne trailer is to heavy plus car... I am over GVM

Alan

The car trailer would not weigh 2ton empty? What is your safe towing rating? An empty GQ would weigh around 2400kg at a guess and the maybe 700kgs for the trailer and your still under 3500kg braked limit?

threedogs
27th April 2013, 06:42 PM
Yeah Hire/Buy a braked tandam trailer and all is good.

ventman
27th April 2013, 07:03 PM
What he said ^^^^^ being in neutral would mean nothing is spinning in the gear box?? An 80 series with full time 4wd would be a whole other matter. Would not do that!

Why don't you just put it on a Braked Trailer?? Would be way way better surely

Like I said average 2 - 2.5 tonne for trailer puts me over GVM...

nissannewby
27th April 2013, 07:05 PM
I would be towing the motor home with the patrol :p.

Bloodyaussie
27th April 2013, 07:08 PM

He he!!!!!!

Cuppa
28th April 2013, 04:05 PM
...just do it. if its on the a frame the front is off the ground and you're only towing the rear. Its just like driving it, the oil will flow around the rear diff..wont it?

Hi Nisshead, it may not change what you say but for clarity 'A' framing a towed vehicle doesn't raise it's front wheels off the ground. There are setups that do this but I'm not sure what they are called, they are not so common in Australia, whereas A framing is. With A framing the 'toad' has a sub frame attached to the chassis & fitted with connections for the A frame. See pic.

Cuppa

Dales300exc
28th April 2013, 08:11 PM
I would not recommend towing it with the tailshaft in. The output shaft turns inside all the main shaft gears when in neutral. The only way oil is moved around is from splash while the input shaft is turning the gears. Engine off, no oil is being moved around and damage will still be caused.

Ben-e-boy
28th April 2013, 08:24 PM
I would not recommend towing it with the tailshaft in. The output shaft turns inside all the main shaft gears when in neutral. The only way oil is moved around is from splash while the input shaft is turning the gears. Engine off, no oil is being moved around and damage will still be caused.

Could you put the transfer case in neutral?

Dales300exc
28th April 2013, 08:26 PM
Interesting point you raise. Provided the transfer case parts that rotate were still lubricated while turning i don't see why not. I would have to look at an exploded view of a transfer case to answer that. Haven't played with them before.

Dales300exc
28th April 2013, 08:42 PM
Just read my manual. I would still say no.

Transfer in neutral would stop gearbox damage because the gearbox output shaft wouldn't turn due to the transfer being in neutral, but would ruin your transfer due to no splash lubrication.

Transfer in gear would mean oil was still splashed in your transfer case, but the output shaft of your gearbox would then rotate without splash lubrication from the gearbox turning causing gearbox damage.

The transfer is just a two speed gearbox.

So it depends what you want damaged haha.

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm still voting for a braked trailer! Seems a No Brainer! If your committed to towing such a large vehicle behind your bus then it will be far far safer tugging that 2.5ton car on a braked trailer than asking your bus brakes to pull both vehicles up!!! Seriously! That's crazy!

Cuppa
28th April 2013, 09:27 PM

For a brief time I considered trying to tow our Patrol behind the Civilian but quickly realised that it would make more sense to tow the Civilian behid the Patrol ....... but quickly realised the whole notion was silly. A 5 tonne bus with an old school n/a 3.3 litre 4 cylinder diesel pulling or being pulled by a Patrol LOL!

If Ventman has a large bus (with a big motor) which is significantly under it's GVM, towing the Patrol may be feasible, but if it's close to it's GVM (& braking capacity) as has been suggested it may be 'pushing it'. I note Ventman's use of the term GVM, but am assuming GCM was intended.

Cuppa

90mav
30th April 2013, 09:47 PM
A mate of mine made an Aframe to tow his GU while it was engineless. It simply bolted to the two tiedown tabs under front of chassis and had a 50mm tow hitch up front. With the steering unlocked it just self steered perfectly behing the tow vehicle. Just need to put a supercrap boat light board on the back for brake/indicator lights etc.
I beleive there is no engineering requirements for the manufacture of the Aframe either, and thats in mod nazi queensland...
The gearbox should self lube as the lower set of gears should pick up the oil and throw it around the whole case. Even in neutral all the gears should be rotating.
Im no expert but its no exactly rocket science...

pearcey
30th April 2013, 11:33 PM
I would be checking the law regarding brakes as a trailer over 700Kgs must be braked and over 2000 Kgs must have a break away system. I would think a 2500 plus Kg vehicle being tow would come under these laws. Tow trucks do come under different laws but they have systems in place when towing heavy vehicles

oilpond
1st May 2013, 04:07 PM
Tow your house instead as it wont weigh as much.

menace 2
7th May 2013, 09:23 AM
Hello Ventman..you havent really stated what your intentions are ?...whether re-locating..extended travelling etc ?...what distances .
If travelling then your main form of transport and accommodation is the motor-home .
So hence the towed vehicle is only normally for day trips and short overnight , packed lightly so why the need for a large patrol ??...hence the reason people use light , small vehicles or motor bikes ..(unless you are the partridge family ! ).
If you are re-locating then just use a trailer
Understandably economics may play a part with getting another one but dedication to having your patrol defies logic .
Too many variables : weight issues , stopping issues , which creates safety issues , length issues , maybe the wrong vehicle to do it with , potential mechanical damage , etc etc etc

Do you have a B double licence ? lol

P4trol
7th May 2013, 09:26 PM
I would hazard a guess and say he's beating the path around Aus that people do when they get to a certain age. The old GN.

Welcome, and I've seen a few towed vehicles come through here. They are mostly vitaras/jimnys. There is a mob that sell a kit, or maybe a system. It seems to come with A frame, wiring to make the towed vehicle brake/blinkers work, and a banner to hang in the rear windows.

The name escapes me though.

P4trol
7th May 2013, 09:44 PM
Hitch 'n go. That was the brand I saw yesterday. It kind of looks like vitara tailgating a motorhome.

Hurrah for google!