PDA

View Full Version : engine oil in radiaotoroverflow bottle

Toha
27th April 2013, 10:15 AM
Hi there i have noticed engine oil in overflow bottle, when i checked dip stick of engine oil there is none .please someone tell what kind of problem is it and what to do ,, thanks

Stropp
27th April 2013, 10:40 AM
sounds like a cracked head!

kevin07
27th April 2013, 10:45 AM
as above but what motor is it

janderson
27th April 2013, 07:21 PM
Also could be a cracked water jacket in block.

Lieney
27th April 2013, 07:27 PM
Do a Coolant system pressure test & pull the glow plugs, listen for noise at each as this will tell you where the fault is.
Could be head gasket, Could be head Could be block.
Soundslike it could be expensive

Kelvinator
28th April 2013, 03:16 AM
Stop driving it, first of all. And if you are not mechanically inclined, as it would sound, take it to a mechanic. Oil in your water is BAD. Either head gasket or cracked head or cracked block into water gallery, either way its going to be expensive. Unless, and this might be crazy, somebody put the oil in the radiator instead of the motor. I've seen some funny things in my time.

Brisat
28th April 2013, 10:47 PM
most likely the oil cooler is leaking

BigRAWesty
29th April 2013, 12:50 AM
Stop driving it, first of all. And if you are not mechanically inclined, as it would sound, take it to a mechanic. Oil in your water is BAD. Either head gasket or cracked head or cracked block into water gallery, either way its going to be expensive. Unless, and this might be crazy, somebody put the oil in the radiator instead of the motor. I've seen some funny things in my time.

Sorta like the Ye old top up the engine with oil.. 15L later... :banghead: blonde sister.. Nuf said..

Anyway hopefully you get it sorted.. and its not to expensive.
As asked before, what motor is it?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Kelvinator
29th April 2013, 02:23 PM
Couldnt really be the oil cooler as mentioned before unless u have some weird setup. If u had a combined tranny cooler/radiator the oil would be red and thered still be oil in the motor. And i havent ever seen an engine oil cooler on a patrol.

taslucas
29th April 2013, 02:57 PM
most likely the oil cooler is leaking

Please explain??

FanTapstic!

Brisat
29th April 2013, 10:46 PM
Please explain??

FanTapstic!
just presuming that it is a TD42, on the right hand side where the oil filters screw onto, that alloy housing hides the oil cooler. undo the bolts etc , remove the cover and you will find a miniature radiator, that is the oil cooler
Buggered up, should have had the two quotes on here, ah well !

Brisat
29th April 2013, 10:49 PM
sounds like a cracked head!

How is the engine oil going to get into the water ??

Brisat
29th April 2013, 10:57 PM

How would the oil get into the water, head gasket usually will let go between the cylinders or into the water gallery, oil cant get into water from a cracked head or a cracked block normally. If it was that bad it would have had to been farking hot so there would be lots more things to worry about