PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 sluggish to start both cold & hot

JimD
26th April 2013, 09:30 PM
Hoping someone can help with ideas on what could be wrong. My ZD30 motor will attempt to start with minimal winding but will not run if the starter is disengaged when the motor first fires. The only successful way to start the motor is to hold the starter on for a few seconds after the motor initially fires. That is keep winding the starter even though the motor is firing. Once the motor does start it runs ok. This is more prevalent when the motor is cold, however is still is evident when the motor is warm.

happygu
27th April 2013, 07:23 AM
Hi Jim,

I would be looking at either the Glowplug rail and circuit, or the Fuel Lines for an air leak.

Does it still do it if you have someone pumping the Primer whilst you are cranking over ?

Mic

JimD
27th April 2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks Mic
Glow plug rail and circuit are fine. I have tried pumping the primer before I have cranked the motor but not while cranking. I will try this tomorrow.

Jim

threedogs
27th April 2013, 08:40 PM
ARE ALL VACUUM LINE INTACT AND NOT PERISHED, fuel filters ok
I'd be hooking up a set of vacuum gauges to sort it out

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 08:47 PM
Hey JimD head over to the introduction section and post an intro about yourself please. We like people to say g'day when they come in ;) just like at home mate ;)

JimD
10th June 2013, 09:01 AM
I was told by a mechanic to try not winding the motor over until the air bag light on the dash goes out. This works, the motor starts as it should. The mechanic didn't know why this works as he had been told by someone else. Does anyone know why?

threedogs
10th June 2013, 09:34 AM
Maybe ECU needs to tick all the boxes first before starting ?
Like a safety check, Great you got it sorted

Morton
10th June 2013, 09:28 PM
I am thinking your glow plugs mate, swap them out yourself for $120 for the set, the glow-plug rail (buzbar) will often work but have slight corrosion above the first glow-plug, this doesn't allow full power to the glow-plugs, take it off & sand it or replace it ($45 OE), this is often brought on by a leaking intercooler, the glow plugs will have the tips corroded or burned/snapped off, this is usually noted when it is a little more smoky on start up, using a bit more fuel, the reason you are still kicking it over is the glowplug isn't heating it up enough, it is actually coughing during the start up process, double or triple glow it first thing in the morning especially when cold, it wont glow up well most times but worst in the morning when it is at its coldest, winter is worse

JimD
5th June 2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the advice but what I eventually found was the problems were been caused by bad fuel. I have not experienced any problems after draining both tanks and refilling with fresh fuel

threedogs
6th June 2014, 09:22 AM
don't forget to put in fresh fuel filters as well