PDA

View Full Version : Leaking front hub seal.

mudduk
23rd April 2013, 06:49 PM
I have a Patrol GU iv with an issue on the front axle. The diff seal seems to leaking all the time. I have had it replaced three times and it is doing it again. The oil comes out the hub axle area. Has any one come across this problem at all. Mudduk.

taslucas
23rd April 2013, 07:01 PM
Hi mudduk, does it start leaking straight away or does replacing the seal fix the leak for an amount of time? When you replaced the seal did you inspect the axle shaft? It may be worn where it rotates in the seal and therefore leaking regardless of the condition of the seal. Also the seal can be damaged when re-fitting the axle. It would be bad luck if this has happened three times.

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2013, 07:02 PM
Please head over to the introduction section mate and post a Hello, tell us a little about yourself before asking questions please.

I assume from your post it is on the inside of the wheel? Likely to be the inner axle seal leaking diff oil out and washing out your CVs of grease too. What side is it? I bet its the passenger side? Who is replacing the seal for you? Or are you doing it yourself?

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2013, 07:05 PM
It would be bad luck if this has happened three times.

Not if its the same guy fitting it each time though. He could be making the same mistake each time.

You are certainly right though the axle shaft could have slight damage causing the seal to shred.

Most likely it's the guy putting it in or the CV in that is the problem though, no disrespect intended.

Dominator
23rd April 2013, 09:13 PM
Or the housing is bent causing the axle to wear out the inner seal. But I agree, good chance the seal is getting damaged when reinstalling the axle, especially if it is the long side. (Passengers side)

mudduk
24th April 2013, 12:28 AM
Yeh the issue is on the left side (passenger ) and it was replaced the first time by Nissan Essendon, The second time it was replaced by ARB. And the third time it went back to ARB as I thought the same as you that it might have been the way it was done. There was no mention on bent axle or anything so it is a bit strange, especially as the front end of these things is basically bullet proof otherwise.
The only thing that was different was that I had a camber adjuster plate installed by Tru line in Campbellfield which has an offset for the pin, but that was 7 years ago and this has only just happened in the last year and a half. ARB took this out last time they had it and put the original top plate back in. Still happened.
Yeh it does seem good for a short while then starts again.

Maybe I might have to have a go at it myself. (If you want something done right do it yourself) LOL
Mudduk.

MudRunnerTD
24th April 2013, 12:55 AM
while you have it apart put the Truline back in. i rate it highly if your car had the need and run that mod in the GUIV. Great. It had been in for 7 years so unlikely to be the trouble.

Did ARB do the second seal for free?

mudduk
24th April 2013, 09:09 AM
Hi. Yeh they had a go at it under warranty without any argument. Kerri up at East Keillor is a pretty good bloke to deal with.

Bulbous
24th April 2013, 06:23 PM
When the axle is out, check for a bright mark which might indicate where it is rubbing the seal and disturbing it. It's a bit difficult to see but in the picture if you look 1/2 way along the axle you can see it
My Diff housing was bent and also a slight kink in the axle I think. You could rotate it in a couple of V-blocks and check it with a DTI

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae196/Bulbous1/IMG-20130207-00213_zpsc2389057.jpg (http://s971.photobucket.com/user/Bulbous1/media/IMG-20130207-00213_zpsc2389057.jpg.html)

polaris
3rd May 2013, 09:56 AM
I have had the same issue. On my gq it was the lower bearing on the knuckle that was worn / loose.