4. All Australian mobiles
& also includes line rental.

What do you reckon,

Cheers
Tonks

lorrieandjas
23rd April 2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Tonks,

I work in Telco and recommend you work out what you need (ie what is your usage)? If you are a prolific caller and Internet user then the above package is great (its what I use!).

However, if you don't need that much usage and don't make a heap of calls you can come away with it cheaper. You could also ask them about their deal on the T-Box ($10/month) which is pretty handy. To be fair you can't really go wrong with Telstra, however some of the more cost-effective players may be worth looking at if you don't need that much included.

Jas

lhurley
23rd April 2013, 02:53 PM
I had a similar package when at my old house. 200gb internet, and a home phone for $88 with telstra. I was very happy with our internet. Crazy fast for aus standards. There wasnt any calls with the phone but we didnt need any, we all have our own mobile phones.

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2013, 05:30 PM
I had a similar package when at my old house. 200gb internet, and a home phone for $88 with telstra. I was very happy with our internet. Crazy fast for aus standards. There wasnt any calls with the phone but we didnt need any, we all have our own mobile phones.

I am in the same boat. High end mobile user on an unlimited Telstra cap, the wife has a Telstra mobile and we have big pond at home. 200gb and bundled with our mobiles to receive a discount of $10 off each phone. Think it is $89 a month.

I resent paying Telstra the bloody line rental charge though and only pay that so I have the Internet. Add that to the $89 a month and its up there!

I NEVER make a call from the home phone, the ONLY time it rings is when someone is selling something. All calls incoming and outgoing are from the mobiles. Wife and I have free mobile to mobile and she calls my mobile if I'm in the shed!

If you don't really have a mobile and make and receive a heap of calls at home then go for it.

Telstra! Please provide an INTERNET ONLY PLAN for House holds! Move with the times please! Stop ripping us off!

NissanGQ4.2
23rd April 2013, 06:55 PM
Don't know how TPG are compared to Telstra, but I am anti Telstra, I believe this is a great deal if you can get it.

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/home-phone-bundle/unlimited-bundle

Unfortunately they do not have an exchange where I live so had to go with Telstra ( yes they stuffed up yet again ) and then just got one of TPG's ADSL plans 50gig peak 50gig off peak so 100gig total.

Could of spent a bit extra and got an adsl2 plan but don't really have the need for it as I download most of what I want overnight when I'm sleeping and I don't watch movies on line so don't need the speed.

lhurley
23rd April 2013, 07:01 PM
I am in the same boat. High end mobile user on an unlimited Telstra cap, the wife has a Telstra mobile and we have big pond at home. 200gb and bundled with our mobiles to receive a discount of $10 off each phone. Think it is $89 a month.

I resent paying Telstra the bloody line rental charge though and only pay that so I have the Internet. Add that to the $89 a month and its up there!

I NEVER make a call from the home phone, the ONLY time it rings is when someone is selling something. All calls incoming and outgoing are from the mobiles. Wife and I have free mobile to mobile and she calls my mobile if I'm in the shed!

If you don't really have a mobile and make and receive a heap of calls at home then go for it.

Telstra! Please provide an INTERNET ONLY PLAN for House holds! Move with the times please! Stop ripping us off!

I'm happy to pay for the best. My phone with telstra has signal damn near everywhere. And my Internet was awesome. If they do cable in your area, get that. It didn't cost me anymore and it was considerably faster then ADSL2+.
I was getting about 70mbs actual download speed, and about 30mbs upload. With a 10 millisecond ping.

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2013, 07:09 PM
I'm happy to pay for the best. My phone with telstra has signal damn near everywhere. And my Internet was awesome. If they do cable in your area, get that. It didn't cost me anymore and it was considerably faster then ADSL2+.
I was getting about 70mbs actual download speed, and about 30mbs upload. With a 10 millisecond ping.

Oh I agree 100% Telstra mobile is by far the best coverage. As I said I am a high end user. Their big pond is great too but I resent having to pay for a home phone and line rental for a service I don't need or use. It's a rip off.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd April 2013, 07:14 PM

hahahaha I feel you pain Daz, but you can get ADL2 without having a home phone and paying line rental, I know TPG offer it under what they call naked ADSL: http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/naked-adsl

Unfortunately I never had an active phone connection when I bought here to be able to get this product but after I'm out of telstra's phone contract I will be looking into this some more to see if its worth it all not.

Just type in naked adsl2 into goggle and start reading.

I assume you can't get cable where you are?????

taslucas
23rd April 2013, 07:14 PM
I have just signed up with telstra. ADSL2+, 50gb a month is plenty for us. I wasnt on any landline plan as i have recently moved into the house so telstra charges $15 a month for line rental. There are plans at an extra cost for a landline BUT with only the $15 a month line rental a get free local calls anf $20 a month towards all other calls (charged at the normal rate). As mudrunner has said, we dont use the landline at all but i had to pay the line rental anyway so i may as well buy a landline and get the freebies. All other internet providers here charged line rental of around $15 to $25 a month but didnt offer ANY landline service at all for this (i would have had to pay more to get a landline plan).
Not sure how to test the actual download speed but ive seen it as high as 200mb/s and seems to sit around 100 mb/s.
Tassie internet pricing is way higher than the big island but i still found telstra to be the best when combining price vs product

lhurley
23rd April 2013, 07:37 PM
Not sure how to test the actual download speed but ive seen it as high as 200mb/s and seems to sit around 100 mb/s.
Tassie internet pricing is way higher than the big island but i still found telstra to be the best when combining price vs product

Go to speedtest.net/ (http://www.speedtest.net/) and work the thing. The only reason we have a landline now if for foxtel, so you can get movies instantly. Why are you folks still getting a home phone? Need it for the adsl?

taslucas
23rd April 2013, 07:47 PM
Go to speedtest.net/ (http://www.speedtest.net/) and work the thing. The only reason we have a landline now if for foxtel, so you can get movies instantly. Why are you folks still getting a home phone? Need it for the adsl?

cheers mate ill try the speed test now. The reason i got a landline: You have to have a landline for adsl and therefore have to pay line rental. For me, included in the line rental is free local calls and $20 worth of other calls.

mudski
24th April 2013, 07:58 PM
70mbit connection on Cable??? Didn't think that was possible with copper. I had cable extreme years ago when I was stupid enough to use Telstra and I couldn't get even half that. Telstra blamed the quality of the cables in our street. So, yet again we pay more for less from Telstra.

lhurley
24th April 2013, 11:04 PM
70mbit connection on Cable??? Didn't think that was possible with copper. I had cable extreme years ago when I was stupid enough to use Telstra and I couldn't get even half that. Telstra blamed the quality of the cables in our street. So, yet again we pay more for less from Telstra.

It was cable extreme. It was amazing Internet, sort of figures they are getting out if the NBN.