PDA

View Full Version : Best method for correcting steering wheel?

mudski
22nd April 2013, 09:04 PM
It has always not been right. Slightly up on the rhs. I know its due to the lift and now its an inch higher its a bit worse. I have seen threads on removing the steering wheel and moving it a notch or two on the spline or removing the coupling down at the box end and doing the same. I tried the latter and as there was sweet F.A room I could get the splined shaft to come out of the coupling. Yes i undid the securing bolt too...:tease:
I don't want to take it to a front end joint, as I know they will say i need new this and that when I infact don't.
Any secrets to this venture?
I do need a new steering wheel, or a better one, so maybe I'll just wait until i score a better wheel...

BigRAWesty
22nd April 2013, 09:30 PM
Grab an adjustable drag link. Then just keep fiddling untill its right. Its won't stuff the allignment, but just position the wheel correctly..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudski
22nd April 2013, 09:34 PM
Grrr, there goes another 3hunge. Any other suggestions...
Thanks Kal. :)

NissanGQ4.2
22nd April 2013, 09:38 PM
That would be the correct way to do it, if your not prepared to spend money take the steering wheel of and re-centre it ( unless of course u have airbags )

93patrol
22nd April 2013, 09:40 PM
if you dont have an air bag pop the horn cover off and undo the nut in the steering wheel whalla adjusted.

if you do have an air bag findout how long the battery needs to be disconnected before you can remove the cover and same again

GUtsy ute
22nd April 2013, 09:43 PM
As Kallen says above X2.

This puts your steering box in the central position, with the wheels facing straight ahead.

macca
22nd April 2013, 10:01 PM
x3 with Kallen.

Did talk to a Nissan owner that said when he got an alignment done the set the steering wheel straight then the Left? wheel to that position then adjusted the right to track correct.

Was he blowing hot air? or would that work?

I got sick of the SW being wrong and fitted an adjustable myself, real easy to do.

BigRAWesty
22nd April 2013, 10:09 PM
If you have an adjustable rod, then yes its possible. Mine is solid, so sweet fa can be done.
My rod ends are worn so will be going adjustable, and this also make the ends changeable down the track.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

happygu
22nd April 2013, 10:53 PM
You need the adjustable drag link to recentre the steering wheel and also the steering box to help stop the car wandering about when it hits a bump in the road.

There is a sweet centre spot in the box where it is weighted correctly for going straight ahead and when you lift the car , it rotates the wheel slightly taking it out of the spot

Mic

mudski
23rd April 2013, 09:09 AM
Grrr. Looks like a new drag link. Bummer as all the front end joints were new when I got the car 12 months ago...
Might aswell change the dampener while I'm at it. Whats recommend for a GU?

Bloggsy
23rd April 2013, 09:41 AM
Mudski, I got my local Nissan Service Dept to centre the steering box (as mine had more turns to the left than to the right) and then pop the steering wheel off (mine was to the left) and put it on straight. Got them to do it as mine has an airbag. Cost $69 (wheel aligment included, not that it was out). Short of that, an adjustable draglink is the way to go.

Cheers,
Darren

BigRAWesty
23rd April 2013, 10:39 AM
Grrr. Looks like a new drag link. Bummer as all the front end joints were new when I got the car 12 months ago...
Might aswell change the dampener while I'm at it. Whats recommend for a GU?

Unless you already have an adjustable drag link or they replace the whole drag with genuine think there pulling your leg..
If you have changeable rod ends on the drag link then that's the adjustment..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Stropp
23rd April 2013, 10:48 AM
kallen is correct, the only way you can do it correctly is with the adjustable drag link, i first of all took the steering wheel off and did it that way until i had the money to buy the adjustable drag link, then centered the steering box and installed the drag link.

threedogs
23rd April 2013, 11:05 AM
If your wheel was left or right wouldn't that tell you somethings out
, oh I dont know but maybe hit something too hard off roading [easy to do]
It just cant face left or right for no reason can it, @ Kallen

BigRAWesty
23rd April 2013, 11:23 AM
I think your on the tie rod TD.
Its like the panhard rods. When you lift it the axle shifts sideways. So to keep the car straight something has to move.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

taslucas
23rd April 2013, 12:54 PM
.........or removing the coupling down at the box end and doing the same. I tried the latter and as there was sweet F.A room.

I helped a mate do this on his Q a few months ago and it was easy?

FanTapstic!

mudski
23rd April 2013, 02:59 PM
I helped a mate do this on his Q a few months ago and it was easy?

FanTapstic!

Q's are a bit different to U's. Different motor for a start. ..

I tapped that app...

threedogs
23rd April 2013, 04:16 PM
Yo Mudski Thread break heres that Blue led Knob. it flashes, chases or just on, made from spun alloy

taslucas
23rd April 2013, 04:50 PM
Q's are a bit different to U's. Different motor for a start. ..

I tapped that app...

Ahh, yep didn't know you had a U. Heaps more crap hanging off those motors too.

FanTapstic!

mudski
23rd April 2013, 05:48 PM
Yo Mudski Thread break heres that Blue led Knob. it flashes, chases or just on, made from spun alloy
What tha! I dunno if its your back meds or my back meds that are playing games....

O.k! So I need a new drag link. I might aswell change the steering dampener too while I'm at it. Whats good to get. RTC??

mudski
25th April 2013, 10:58 AM
O.k so I'm picking up the new drag link and dampener tomorrow. Any tricks to doing this? I take it the front has to be up off the ground while adjusting?

MudRunnerTD
25th April 2013, 11:11 AM
No

The drag link has two opposing threaded ends like a tie rod does. Undo the clamp nuts while the car is parked. With a good sized pair of stilsons turn the rod to lengthen or shorten the drag link.

Start with your wheels dead straight. Adjusting the drag link will simply turn the steering box and steering wheel rather than the wheels.

Easy as. Take it for a drive. If its not quite right make another adjustment and do it again.

happygu
25th April 2013, 11:13 AM
You don't muck around Mudski,

How much of a hole did the parts put in your pocket?

Mic

Parksy
25th April 2013, 11:50 AM
Have got the tough dog rtc damper in mine. It does make the steering a little more heavier, but the steering on my gq wasn't exactly heavy to begin with. It does what it claims to do as well, will hold a straight line very well. Just a pain to adjust, lots of trial and error.

mudski
25th April 2013, 12:24 PM
You don't muck around Mudski,

How much of a hole did the parts put in your pocket?

Mic
Yeah Mic I don't like to wait for things. Everytime I have almost enough saved for the locker, something else rears its ugly head...
$159 for the dampener, Tough RTC type. Dunno how good or bad it is, I heard some people saying RTC is bad or no good or whatever it was, if I don't like it I will simply take it out and put the old one back in. As for the drag link, cost $269. I know where they buy them from, I could go direct but I have PP credit so I used that. No biggie. All bought from RooDogs...

mudski
25th April 2013, 12:27 PM
Your a wealth of knowledge Darren. Don't EVER leave...