PDA

View Full Version : Vibration in front end when slowing down

patrol2.8
22nd April 2013, 08:27 PM
Ive developed this really loud vibration comming from the front of the car only when slowing down ive got underneath and cant see any thing that looks loose or worn anyone have any ideas where or what i should be checking

NP99
22nd April 2013, 08:35 PM
Could be a million things, so ill scale it back to 999,999 :)

It might be your disc's needing machining if suspension parts are ok!

Cheers

mudski
22nd April 2013, 09:06 PM
Disc's are warped. Vibration under braking is usually a sign of that.
Damn it! Another thing on my things to do list....

patrol2.8
22nd April 2013, 10:02 PM
Will get the discs checked but it does it a soon as i back off the go pedal and just let the car slow on its own

NP99
22nd April 2013, 11:58 PM
I'm still backing disc's mate!

taslucas
23rd April 2013, 07:24 AM
Uni joints would be my guess. Does it vibrate if you slow down without using the brakes?

FanTapstic!

mudski
23rd April 2013, 09:32 AM
Wheel bearings lose too maybe???

patrol2.8
23rd April 2013, 10:56 PM
Vibrates without brakes starts as soon as i take my foot off the go pedal the wheel bearings seem ok and doesnt seem to be any play in uni joints could it be the clutch its started slipping

NP99
24th April 2013, 01:43 AM
What about engine mounts.........?

patrol2.8
26th April 2013, 04:56 AM
Thanks will be checking all this out on the week end see how it goes

taslucas
26th April 2013, 08:11 AM
Vibrates without brakes starts as soon as i take my foot off the go pedal the wheel bearings seem ok and doesnt seem to be any play in uni joints could it be the clutch its started slipping

If it's doing it when you back off the throttle without braking then id say uni's are a definite.
I just had my uni joints changed. There was no movement in them but they were stuffed. They go stiff for a while before the flog out and feel loose.

FanTapstic!

patrol2.8
26th April 2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks Tas will check it out when i get the car back did a trip along the border track a couple of weeks ago and ti took its toll on the car have had to do the hubs as they came loose broke a sway bar bracket and now the clutch has started slipping

patrol2.8
5th May 2013, 11:05 PM
well its not the uni`s will look at the brakes and engine mounts next will also be upgrading to heavy duty panhards etc over the next few months thinking could be the brakes i did throw in new pads on the front about 6 months ago swapped them on a trip so didnt get the discs machined if its that will most likely do a brake upgrade aswell

NP99
6th May 2013, 11:22 AM
Those disc's will surprise you how they can be the root of problems.

patrol2.8
12th May 2013, 11:03 PM
so had it looked at and thier saying tie rods are worn so will replace them this week

kevin07
13th May 2013, 12:03 AM
can you feel it through the steering wheel and or what makes you say its in the front end and what sort of rims do you have ie steel or alloys

patrol2.8
20th May 2013, 07:58 AM
Cant feel it through the steering ive managed to quiet it down by replacing the tierods behind the front diff and have just orderd a H/d adjustable front draglink as both both units had/have movement in them will be replacing panhards with H/D items over the next couple of months had the discs looked at and there all ok but will replace with upgraded units eventually im probably going about this all wrong and replacing things that dont need to be but these have been on the car since new and are showing signs of wear n tear and i look at it this way at least im building a collection of useable spares lol

erlsburrow
4th June 2013, 09:39 PM
Clutch or Uni's would be my guess.

kevin07
4th June 2013, 10:18 PM
im up for a guess at a rear buckled rim or 2

2.8PWR
5th June 2013, 10:07 AM
Does it only do it in 4wd? If so, and it isn't any of the other suggestions, maybe front cv joints or even diff gears are chewed out on the rear of the teeth.

If not only in 4wd, is it only noticeable in certain gears? I had the countershaft bearing fail in mine and caused a vibration and noise throughout the whole car (not just the front end).

Otherwise, check the uni joints and wheel bearings, just work with process of elimination and it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Ben-e-boy
5th June 2013, 10:35 AM
Have you balanced the tail shaft?
There could also be wear in the slip yoke splines?

Morton
5th June 2013, 08:57 PM
my bet, not ur brakes because your not touching them, not tail shaft/balance, both will be felt up & down your rev range if doing that, uni's a maybe but would bet my left one (if I had it still) it is your front suspension, look at everything, common pain in the a*** with patrols, kit your hubs, fixed both of my patrols but I was lucky, its not shocks or springs, do you have a bigger than 2" lift, sometimes the start of these issues, but something is worn in the front end, it can sometimes be painful to find it but persistence is the key

patrol2.8
14th June 2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys for the ideas just before the long weekend had a wheel alignment done which pretty much took the vibration away i then swapped the front wheels to the back and it dissapeared unfortunatly i had a tad too much fun on the dunes at Portland and its come back no where nears as bad thinking tyres as ive got maxxis buckshots that are below 50% the fronts were also wearing uneven

Morton
14th June 2013, 02:33 PM
try fitting beads to the inside of the tyre, I could never keep my front wheels balanced, after every trip I would throw a weight of crap caught in the beads behind the weights, so far so good

patrol2.8
14th June 2013, 11:08 PM
Morton will look into it thanks

Sent from my LG-P500 using Motorculture mobile app

mudnut
14th June 2013, 11:28 PM
Dude, Swan Lake Dunes, are good fun. You must've just about went past my front door to get there. The sand gets in everywhere I'm glad you have traced your vibration problem to the tyres, as it is an easy fix.

patrol2.8
14th June 2013, 11:46 PM
Not wrong about the sand there was this guy from up there in a red and gold gq was amazed watching him drive it across the face of the dunes he explained a few things to us about tyre pressures etc we were on 14psi dropped them to 8 and couldnt believe the difference it made

mudnut
14th June 2013, 11:52 PM
Did you get whacked with the fee to get on the Dunes?

patrol2.8
15th June 2013, 12:09 AM
Yeah but its worth it i reckon

mudnut
15th June 2013, 12:12 AM
I am thinking of coughing up the years fee, and goin' anytime I want. Did you get to have fun in "The Bowl" ?

patrol2.8
15th June 2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah we did wnt with the citywest club had am abdolute ball

Col.T
16th June 2013, 07:25 PM
Interesting thread P2.8.
Do you /we really have a final on the problem yet or is it a case of just about gone but not totally fixed?
Seems that pure logic (which maybe doesn't always apply) indicates that most of the causes suggested would show up at times other than only on deceleration without brakes.
E.g. out of balance wheels on my rides show up at a given cruising speed.
Keep us posted either way mate, particularly if you reach an absolutely positive cause/fix.
cheers
Col

patrol2.8
16th June 2013, 07:52 PM
No worries will do seems its been a combination of things mostly worn bushes car still running most of its original equipment so cant really complain ive had a good run out of them

patrol2.8
25th July 2013, 09:50 PM
Ok after a mechanic telling me the unis were fine the rear uni shat it self 2 days ago removed the drive shaft to find that it was totally stuffed there was absolutely no movement in it at all after fitting new ones the car now has no vibration

Col.T
26th July 2013, 07:47 PM
Patrolman
this is a bit late and I haven't got a clue but your probs. a bit intriguing.
If it only occurred under braking you'd have a place to go but that's not the case.
If it only happened when you changed down gears that might might tell you something.
Diff, C/V joints, transmission generally would, if stuffed, I'd have thought give and indication pretty much all the time.
Decelerating will put a load shift to the front end and you say that's where the vibes are located but if the brakes are not touched or if application of brakes makes no difference, can't quite see that it's brakes.
Got me whacked, dunno. If you've eliminated brakes and bearings and suspension maybe look for something really dumb, like hub locks playing up or even something loosening and only contacting another (rotating) part under deceleration. Clutch sounds iffy as that should play up under load but who knows.
Try very, very gently taking the foot off the go pedal as opposed to quickly dropping it off and see if that makes a diff. Even try free wheeling it down a slope in neutral and in gear. Any change?
Good luck
Col

Col.T
26th July 2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry bout that
Leapt before I looked further.
Col

patrol2.8
26th July 2013, 08:06 PM
No worries col all suggestions greatly appreciated reason i didn't check unis earlier was i had a new clutch fitted and the mechanic said he had checked them and they were fine also i grease them religiously every 3months these unis are the original ones so i guess 15yrs out of them is a good run

patrol2.8
27th November 2013, 08:57 AM
Vibration came back stupid here bought 4 unis but only did the main shaft as after test drive thought great vibrations gone front can wait changed then yesterday vibration gone