PDA

View Full Version : Went a camping for first time..

billy bleed
22nd April 2013, 06:07 PM
In the patrol and what a blast!

Ok only got as far as the grampians but did lots of dirt tracks and sand tracks.. Whole new world opened up in sand with that floating kinda feeling at turning in it!!

I used my old hiking tent and realise I need a big tent as this body struggles crawling in and out and sleeping on a thermarest mat!

Can't decide though between the oz tent rv2 and the diamantina warratah - anyone had any experience with these tents/brands?

I am made up of the following parts.. Black Irish / Gypsy / Tattoo's and Grumpiness.. and this was sent from my phone using Tapatalk!

threedogs
22nd April 2013, 06:10 PM
Billy PM sent , So it all went OK I take it, Starting to get a bit fresh overnight
Great for sitting around a fire IMO

Woof
22nd April 2013, 06:46 PM
Great news mate, that's what we like to hear......any photos??

Cuppa
22nd April 2013, 07:18 PM
Hi Billy,
IMHO there is no comparison between those two tents. If you can afford an OzTent & have the space to stow it I reckon it's a no brainer. The waratah, being a dome tent will take a lot more faffing around to put up & take down than an Oztent. I haven't owned a waratah, but have had several dome tents of varying sizes. I do have an Oztent (RV3), it's an older model, made when they were still being made from proper canvas, which I got off ebay for $600 in as new condition from a seller who had never camped in it, only put it up in his garden for the grandkids. Of course the Waratah costs a lot less to buy.
Another option is a centre pole tent. The family tourer one I have for sale is too big for you, but smaller versions of the same design are worth considering if you haven't already. They give you a tent which is very quick to erect & to take down/pack up, is reasonably spacious & in which you can stand up in. Ones of this sort of design. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/145.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuppa500/8671647850/) Knock in 4 corner pegs, raise & lock the centre pole & you're done.
IMHO it's a hard choice between the OzTent which offers a space without the pole in the middle, & the more durable design of the centre pole. I reckon the OzTent is just edges ahead in convenience, whereas the centre pole is the one I'd rather be in when the wind really gets up.

Cuppa

threedogs
22nd April 2013, 07:34 PM
Just to add a bit more most of those Pyrimid style tents may have optional pole kit therefore eliminating the centre pole.
The ones at Rays sell for $200 $300 and will last a while with care and some scotch guard in a can, Folded you're looking at
about 36" by 36" by 6". Bulky but for ease of erection you can't beat them. Flat on a roof rack or on top of a trailer spot on

megatexture
22nd April 2013, 07:36 PM
This may or may not be relevant to you but the Only problem with the centre pole tents is depending where you go sometimes you can't put a peg in when camping at opalton we were on cap rock and we were folding some solid pegs,
we ended up knocking down termite mounds and dragging them to our camp to drive pegs in.
I think some of the centre pole tents have pole/frame kits also

MudRunnerTD
22nd April 2013, 07:58 PM
Great to hear you had a great trip mate. Pics would be great to see.

I have an Oztent RV4 with a peak front option. I rate it very highly! I understand that the physical frame size of the RV series of Oztents are all the same and you get a little extra room outside of the rear side of the frame with the RV3 & RV4. You will thank yourself for that little bit of extra room to put your bags and stuff when you have a couple of sleeping bags rolled out.

The RV4 is a great size. The only downside is it has to be carried on the roof rack. The other range of Oztents and Blackwolf with the folding frame and 4corner lift are compact and will go inside the car.

I admit that I have used the RV4 for a 3 week trip across the Madigan line with my boy and it was great. I have never travelled with it with the wife and daughter in tow though as that is what the Camper Trailer is for ;)

I have only setup the front peaked side awning ONCE in that time and it would need to be pouring wi rain to warrant the need. But I have a side and rear awning on the GUIV so even then it would really ly be for somewhere to take the boots off. You can get sides and a front which I have and carry but have not used, maybe I would if the wife came???

I also have the storm fly for it and have this permanently attached and the tent is packed with this still attached. I rate it highly! Great add on.

I also bought a 3.6 x 3.6 shade clothe that I pack into the bag for use as a ground sheet under the tent too.

Also I bought mine second hand too for $700 after having been used twice. When I set it up there was a couple of poles missing and I also found it Impossible to pack it up well into the bag!! Crazy!! So I contacted OZtent and bought a second bag (bonus! Great for the extra poles, ground sheet, pegs, door mat) cost like $20 or something! I grabbed a couple of extra poles too for $20 each! Cheap I thought!

I use the OZtent when touring with my Son in the GUIV and have been on a few forum meet ups with it. It's great.

When out in the extreme stuff in the GQ I use a swag on the ground and a tarp and a couple of adjustable OZtent poles pitched over the swag. In the snow it's set low to the ground and works great. On other occasions it will be set higher for shelter for a swag or two incase of rain. If its pi55ing down then set it low and stay dry.

Have a great time bud.

billy bleed
22nd April 2013, 08:29 PM
Got lots of photos which ill upload some of.. At work on evenings at the moment!

Will look to those tents.. Need room for two and want a bit of comfort factor..

Waiting on optus to repay me a 1000 bucks that they over charged me and that will be for the tent options..

I am made up of the following parts.. Black Irish / Gypsy / Tattoo's and Grumpiness.. and this was sent from my phone using Tapatalk!

MEGOMONSTER
22nd April 2013, 08:32 PM
I'm now looking at a tent that I can attached to the front of my awning when camping alone thru winter.
Oz tent a bit rich but is perfect and exactly what I want.

mudski
22nd April 2013, 08:40 PM
Tents! I hate tents! My last words on easter to the ball and chain was, "this is the last time I use a tent for camping!". They have their place but not in my life anymore. So yes I am looking at more coin for a camper trailer after so many discussions about why we shouldn't get a camper trailer....Even though I physically don't have the room to store one.
Sorry for the hijack.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd April 2013, 09:46 PM
Tents! I hate tents! My last words on easter to the ball and chain was, "this is the last time I use a tent for camping!". They have their place but not in my life anymore. So yes I am looking at more coin for a camper trailer after so many discussions about why we shouldn't get a camper trailer....Even though I physically don't have the room to store one.
Sorry for the hijack.

But isn't a camper trailer just a tent attached to a trailer. Lol

mudnut
22nd April 2013, 11:26 PM
Mudski, I have use of a cousin's camper trailer, and I can't lift the heavy canvas and poles to set the mongrel up or fold it up on the trailer.

billy bleed
23rd April 2013, 12:46 PM
No trailer for me.. I'd rather the tent only.. Got over the roof top idea.. Felt the sway with small items on my rack..

Photos coming.. Pulled them off my camera this morning.. I'm looking like the yeti!

threedogs
23rd April 2013, 12:54 PM
A magniollini style hinged sideways on a 7x5 trailer would be ok, not too far to fall lol
but most are as suggested a 6x4 trailer with a tent, and overpriced to the Shizenhousen
A decent pyramid style would be my choice if beaking camp on a daily basis.
I have BIGFLLAs here and I can't open it by myself unless I'm missing something,
Next I'll go small pop up caravan like the Jayco dove,

Bob
23rd April 2013, 01:27 PM
Next I'll go small pop up caravan like the Jayco dove,

Now there you Go

threedogs
23rd April 2013, 01:34 PM
Nah I'm a big fan of the Joyco Dove, was going to buy Simons from 4wd tv fame.
Kicking myself I didnt, enough storage as not to take too much stuff.

Bob
23rd April 2013, 01:44 PM
Nah I'm a big fan of the Joyco Dove, was going to buy Simons from 4wd tv fame.
Kicking myself I didnt, enough storage as not to take too much stuff.

An oldie but a Goodie

P4trol
23rd April 2013, 02:01 PM
Mudski,

You can store your camper trailer at my place.

---------

I'm up to a trailer to put my tent and stuff in.

BillsGU
23rd April 2013, 04:23 PM
This may or may not be relevant to you but the Only problem with the centre pole tents is depending where you go sometimes you can't put a peg in when camping at opalton we were on cap rock and we were folding some solid pegs,

Thats why I bought the cheapest battery 12V drill I could find, opened the battery and tossed the cells (yes they were brand new) soldered in a lead with battery clips on the ends and bought a long drill bit the diameter of the tent pegs. Now when there is a problem with hard ground I simply pre drill some holes and hammer the pegs in them. I also carry a set of normal drill bits which have come in handy a couple of times.

mudnut
23rd April 2013, 04:47 PM
Thats why I bought the cheapest battery 12V drill I could find, opened the battery and tossed the cells (yes they were brand new) soldered in a lead with battery clips on the ends and bought a long drill bit the diameter of the tent pegs. Now when there is a problem with hard ground I simply pre drill some holes and hammer the pegs in them. I also carry a set of normal drill bits which have come in handy a couple of times.

That's a cool idea.

billy bleed
24th April 2013, 09:39 AM
Just a few off my phone.. Will upload camera later this evening!