PDA

View Full Version : GQ CV Joint

Irvs
21st April 2013, 06:38 PM
Hey guys, My drivers side CV has started to go so I was gonna replace both before I go for a drive up to Bendigo this weekend coming. Was wondering what's involved and what parts I need other than CV's and grease? I'm also putting in new wheel bearings while I'm at it. I was wondering how long you think it takes and if there are any tricks I should look out for?

Also what's a Nissan genuine CV worth? I'm using a mates who got them as spares with the car so I just want to make sure I give him the right amount.

P.S. If there's a thread already around I couldn't find it, I had a look through a few search pages but no luck.

Cheers,
Irvs

MudRunnerTD
21st April 2013, 09:49 PM
Hey Irvs,

There is a Ship load of info on here about swivel hub rebuilds and front end rebuilds. Have another search. I have posted it a heap of times and there is a Blow by Blow photo thread done by Ynot that is a must see.

It will take you the better part of a weekend if your doing a full swivel hub rebuild to both sides. I see no point replacing the left side (long side) just because your doing the drivers side (short side) the short side take a bigger hit and more often than not the side that brakes.

Are the CVs you are getting off a mate Brand New genuine Nissan?? EXPENSIVE!!! You would get decent second hand ones from a wrecker still connected to axles for $50 to $100 each. From Nissan expect to pay $300 to $500 each at a guess!!!

If your doing the wheel bearings only and not a full fit then make sure you buy Inner Axle Seals at least as they should be replaced while your there. If your pulling the knuckles off so you can do the bearing races you might as well put a full swivel hub kit through it.

Irvs
23rd April 2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks MR, was looking for CV joint not swivel hub, that helped a lot. Quick question, the previous owner (about 6 months ago) said he replaced the king pin seals not long ago as in with 12-18 months. Is this the same as the inner axle seal you're talking about?

Cheers

Irvs
24th April 2013, 12:33 AM
I bought a Swivel hub kit and a a GU nut kit while I was at it. Will let everyone know how I go. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction MR.

Irvs
29th April 2013, 10:28 PM
Alright so I've got the whole front end pulled apart and I didn't have any shims underneath my swivel bearing caps, all 4 of them had none, is this acceptable?
I only vaguely understand the process of shimming but i'm not quite sure how to determine the right shim but I've read that most people just put back whatever shims were there previously. Would I be safe to just fit the new bearings or is that going to put too much pressure on the bearing and cause it to fail prematurely? I wanna make sure I get this right so if anyones got a brief rundown of how this is supposed to go that'd be sweet. Cheers

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2013, 10:41 PM
I have alway just refitted whatever came out. Not ideal but should be fine mate.

Irvs
29th April 2013, 10:45 PM
Haha I can always count on you mate, gonna try your tip with the pointy nose pliers for the bearings too, will let you know how it goes. Cheers mate