PDA

View Full Version : wacko speedo

SKID
21st April 2013, 02:45 PM
The last two days its happened twice to me, yesterday when driving along I noticed mu speedo jump from 95 to 105 twice, when I stoped for fuel and started it the power light flashed several times then as soon as i drove off the speedo went off the scale, after turning the car on and off several times made no difference, as soon as I started to drive the speedo would go past 180 and sit on the peg, then driving along about 30 minutes later it came good again, today when driving to the dump, I didnt pay attention to the speedo jumping but it peged out to over 180 again, then after about a further 15 minutes driving it came good again, when I stoped at the dump and restarted no flash codes and it has behaved its self the rest of the day, appart from the speedo pegging out it drives and changes gears normally... could it be the TPS, or the speed sensor on the gear box? any advice appreicated..

mudnut
21st April 2013, 04:14 PM
Not my area of expertise, but it sounds like a loose connection or something contacting the speedo input signal, giving it too much input voltage. Or a bad earth on gauge?

threedogs
21st April 2013, 05:29 PM
no idea what you drive but I'd be checking all earths for starters

GQsweep
21st April 2013, 09:37 PM
I've had this issue with mine for some time now and I've asked on here with no satisfactory result. I've taken it to Auto Electricians and it behaves - nothing to fix.

I did get it to play up with one guy but his response was ' it's a faulty speed sensor and that's why your transmission is slipping' I knew that was crap because I've since spent 4k on a reco on the transmission.

I have found that it responds to the BTSOOI method of diagnosis and maintenance but it's not consistent. I've also had the binnacle unit out hoping to see a 'dry joint' or something loose but with no avail.

When you find what is wrong, let me know. For now I'm just putting up with it.

SKID
22nd April 2013, 12:59 PM
I've had this issue with mine for some time now and I've asked on here with no satisfactory result. I've taken it to Auto Electricians and it behaves - nothing to fix.

I did get it to play up with one guy but his response was ' it's a faulty speed sensor and that's why your transmission is slipping' I knew that was crap because I've since spent 4k on a reco on the transmission.

I have found that it responds to the BTSOOI method of diagnosis and maintenance but it's not consistent. I've also had the binnacle unit out hoping to see a 'dry joint' or something loose but with no avail.

Tried unplugging speed sensor and it came good fir a little while, another guy might be on the mark with it being a dry joint in the cluster he said he pulled it out and re-soldered all joints and has worked perfect since, it will have to wait, just been diagnosed with bowl cancer so speedo will have to wait until after operation...

mudnut
22nd April 2013, 11:37 PM
That's bad news, mate. I hope your operation and treatments go well for you.

SKID
13th September 2013, 02:15 PM
What is the BTSOOI method?

GQ TANK
13th September 2013, 09:11 PM
Mine has just started doing the same. At fist it fixed it self when I gave the cluster a thump - now it intermittently fails and will not fix it self.

It only started after I removed the cluster 2 weeks ago.

Also when it fails the odometer also stops working.

I will have a look tomorrow as I believe its a faulty joint

GQ TANK
13th September 2013, 09:19 PM
BTSOOI - Beat The S##t Out Of It

GQ TANK
14th September 2013, 06:31 PM
I pulled the dash apart and found cracked solder joints on the speedo pcb.

There are 5 screws that retain the pcb to the rear plain. The cracked solder joints where on a 3 pin regulator near the single mounting screw.

Will do some testing and see how it go's - I also put a hole in the top internal housing to enable me to tweak the speedo adjustment pot.

thatpatrolbloke
15th September 2013, 07:58 PM
My did it I got advise from a mate if your car had a cable operated speedo when the weather is dry it catches the congune

GQ TANK
20th September 2013, 08:35 PM
Still playing up - if I knock the top of the dash it fix's itself = intermittent joint somewhere

GQ TANK
25th September 2013, 10:09 PM
I just found the crystal (4.19 MHz) on the speedo board had corroed contacts - (it fell out), I have obtained a replacement crystal 4.19 MHz and fitted it tonight.

The speedo seems to be working ok - will screw it back together tomorrow.

mudnut
25th September 2013, 11:04 PM
Glad it was an easy fix.

GQsweep
29th September 2013, 09:30 PM
I just found the crystal (4.19 MHz) on the speedo board had corroed contacts - (it fell out), I have obtained a replacement crystal 4.19 MHz and fitted it tonight.

The speedo seems to be working ok - will screw it back together tomorrow.

OK, here's a pic of the instrument cluster board. Which item are we talking about?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/sweep_2006/Misc/Patrol%20Pics/2013-01-31091315_zpsc8f97478.jpg

GQ TANK
30th September 2013, 10:55 PM
ou need to pull the speedo assembly.

The 4 screws near the white connector, plus I had a screw on the 10k hole straight up from the white connector. - Note I have a TB42.

Once you have removed the 4/5 screws & unplugged the white connector the speedo assembly assembly can be removed - from the other side. - you need to unclip the clear cover.

This is a simple compont layout - looking from the back of the speedo circuit board - (not to scale)- I hope my memory is up to scratch.

Note, I ended using a 4.086 MHz crystal, (what I found at work) - I could find only 1 vendor in AUS with the 4.19mhz crystals - (you could try a 4 MHz rock common - but I don't know if it will affect the readings.)

- I have checked the speedo calibration it is spot on.

GQsweep
1st October 2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks, I am going to give it a shot. :)

GQ TANK
1st October 2013, 07:37 PM
The Gq does not use a cable - the MK did