PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter priming

Royce
21st April 2013, 01:45 PM
Gday everyone. ive been pumping like a mad man for the last 40 minutes, hoses on, outlet off, fuel tank cap off, fuel tank cap on, and im pretty bloody frustrated. how do i get this little bugger to co-operate with me, it feels like theres not much pressure/suction on the outlet should i be heading to my local repco for a new pump?

Cheers Royce

Dales300exc
21st April 2013, 01:47 PM
Air blower in the fuel tank and hold a rag over it. Gently pressurise the tank. Have someone pump at the same time and it should come up no problems.

Royce
21st April 2013, 01:48 PM
i dont have a compressor. im trying to get this service finished so i can go and pick up my recovery gear (including compressor)
any other suggestions?

Dales300exc
21st April 2013, 01:59 PM
Hmm. Plenty of fuel in the tank?

Im not familiar with you set up, but you have left a drain loose of the water trap? If it has one. That will create problems and its a very common simple mistake.

They should prime up easily with the outlet hose on the filter removed.

Next option, remove filter again and fill it with diesel, refit and it should require no bleeding.

Royce
21st April 2013, 02:05 PM
its a ZD30, i havent touched the water trap, i dont even know if it has one, where would i find it? just to confirm, the outlet hose is the forward facing hose on the filter housing, i cant see any arrows to show flow direction.

**edit*** over half a tank of fuel, but my sub tank is empty will that cause problems?

Royce
21st April 2013, 02:16 PM
ive just taken the housing off, and fuel filter off the housing, when the filter is off and the filter screw hole is blocked, there is suction, but when i put the filter on there is no suction, even wehn i block the outlet...

Dales300exc
21st April 2013, 02:19 PM
The hose the goes to the fuel pump (on the engine) will be the filter outlet.

Normally if they have a water trap its before the engine filter under the body of the car.

Just did some research, the filter in the engine bay is the only filter and is a water trap as well.

Royce
21st April 2013, 02:21 PM
ok so am i just retarded or is there actually a problem? lol

Royce
21st April 2013, 02:29 PM
i think i need to do what you originally said, pressurise the tank a little to get the fuel upto the pump, ive just removed the fuel inlet to see if there was fuel at the pump, but it seems to be dry, so pushing the fuel to the pump seems to be the logical and only option while someone pumps. now to phone a friend with a compressor nearby. will a tyre compressor suffice?

Royce
21st April 2013, 10:38 PM
ive had no luck at all trying to get the bloody primer to work, ive pumped for ages, ive used my tyre compressor to try and aid in pushing the fuel upto the primer, but no luck, and now i feel like ive effed it up majorly by filling the filter and then cranking it over to try and get the fuel pump to suck the fuel through, only to have it conk out and blow a nice big puff of smoke! PLEASE HELP!!!!! im pretty frustrated, and stressing out that i may have effed it up big time.

jack
21st April 2013, 11:16 PM
Sorry mate can't offer a solution. Might be an idea in this thread, same issues
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19864-help-ASAP-!!!!!!!!!

TurboOne
21st April 2013, 11:17 PM
By the sounds the puff of smoke could be over fueling. Is there any air leaks? maybe the hand primer is not working? Maybe give a local fuel pump shop a call and ask for their thoughts.

Royce
22nd April 2013, 12:08 AM
cheers, can anyone answer if i start the car with air in the fuel line will it bugger the engine/make it impossible to sort this issue out? with fuel in the filter, can i just keep cranking it over until the engine starts and idles? or is this bad practice?

june
22nd April 2013, 02:06 PM
if you can get your hands on a vacuum pump try sucking it through to the filter.

Royce
25th April 2013, 07:56 PM
cheers everyone for the help, turns out there was a bit of gunk in the diaphragm stopping it from pumping fuel through.

happygu
25th April 2013, 11:22 PM
Well done Royce

Good to hear it is now OK. It was one of those tricky ones where it is hard to help

Mic