PDA

View Full Version : Are you the family mechanic?

NP99
20th April 2013, 10:01 AM
I do my own maintenance on my Patrol, wife's Suzuki, cruiser bike, boat and trailers plus the usual chainsaw, mowers etc. that keeps me pretty busy. I also service my 3 daughters cars - their husbands would struggle to identify a spanner.

At least I know their cars are safe.

A lot of young blokes just don't care about maintenance.....have money, will spend!

NissanGQ4.2
20th April 2013, 10:10 AM
Well I own a GQ Shane and it doesn't need constant maintenance like the GU's *LMAO*, but yes try to do what I can to save money.

I don't own many tools :( but lucky my old man has plenty from when he was a diesel mechanic so call around there when I need something I don't have. Starting t2 invest in my own tools so I don't have to rely on anyone else, but the major downside to trying to work on a car here is our driveway...........the driveway is GRAVEL!!!!!!! and is a b!tch when needing to work under a car :(

NP99
20th April 2013, 10:22 AM
I know that feeling, we have a grass driveway. Concrete drive is last on the Reno list :(

Cuppa
20th April 2013, 10:24 AM
the driveway is GRAVEL!!!!!!! and is a b!tch when needing to work under a car :(

Eeee luxury lad. Try gravel with a good mix of goat droppings! Mind you, at least it's under cover. :)

NissanGQ4.2
20th April 2013, 10:25 AM
I know that feeling, we have a grass driveway. Concrete drive is last on the Reno list :(

Yeh same here, after a descent size garage!, If I put my 4b in the garage which has a concrete slap there is now room to move around it :(

Concrete driveways aren't cheap either especially if you can't do it yourself

threedogs
20th April 2013, 10:45 AM
Just mobility stoping me ATM. Love my tools even have my tools from when I was a sewing machine Technician
Did have one tool box stolen in Alice in 1980,Can never have enough tools IMO, Lucky enough to be able to have
access to a hoist as well.

NP99
20th April 2013, 11:02 AM
Just mobility stoping me ATM. Love my tools even have my tools from when I was a sewing machine Technician
Did have one tool box stolen in Alice in 1980,Can never have enough tools IMO, Lucky enough to be able to have
access to a hoist as well.

I'm finding it harder to crawl under cars now :) Wish I had a hoist!

Cuppa
20th April 2013, 11:28 AM

Me too, but then I'd need a taller shed to put it in & a concrete floor to put it on.
My wife bought me a 'creeper trolley' a couple of years ago, not realising it wasn't much cop on gravel, bless her!

MC97GQ
20th April 2013, 11:44 AM
I do basic maintenance to my truck, but for the big stuff I have access to a mate who is a mechanic,

I do have a decent shed with a concrete floor and good tools, but I wish I had a hoist, or at least a pit.

For the cooks car, I don't touch it, Honda CRV and it's a bit too technical for me.

Mark

TPC
20th April 2013, 12:03 PM
I do some things myself but leave most to the experts.
I am lucky enough to have lots of paved and concreted undercover areas.
I do wish I bought a taller shed so I could fit a 4 post hoist, they are very affordable now.

mudnut
20th April 2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but more like the family bumbler. Since I stuffed my back, I have to grin and bear it when I pay people to do the heavier work.

Wine_maker
20th April 2013, 01:47 PM
I'm too try to do what I can fix my own hands.

Dales300exc
20th April 2013, 05:44 PM
Yeh i am the family stooge. My car, bike, trailers, mum, dad, brother soon and sister. More people too when they ask. But they have to pay.

PMC
20th April 2013, 05:49 PM

G'day mate,

You and me both! I am even thinking about putting a pit inside my garage!

Regards,

RLI

NP99
20th April 2013, 06:13 PM
On my Sunshine Coast property , one of the sheds is a 4 bay bus shed with pit. Great I thought, ended up filling the pit in.....try working in a bus pit :)

NP99
21st April 2013, 08:23 PM
Worked on daughter no 2 Mazda 3 today, how easy are they......pull the plastic sump guard off and it's all there :)

jack
21st April 2013, 08:33 PM
Yeap, started many years ago through necessity. Did a quick check and have worked on rotary hoes, chainsaws, lawn mowers, motor bikes, stationary engines, pumps, go karts and probably lots I've forgotten. Rebuilt heaps of motors, gearboxes, Carbys etc. Couldn't afford a mechanic so had to learn. Old Cortinas, Holdens, Fords all easy to work on, it's the newer stuff that has me stumped.

NP99
21st April 2013, 08:38 PM
Yeap, started many years ago through necessity. Did a quick check and have worked on rotary hoes, chainsaws, lawn mowers, motor bikes, stationary engines, pumps, go karts and probably lots I've forgotten. Rebuilt heaps of motors, gearboxes, Carbys etc. Couldn't afford a mechanic so had to learn. Old Cortinas, Holdens, Fords all easy to work on, it's the newer stuff that has me stumped.

I agree Apollofish
I enjoyed those old 149/179/186 engines. They are bullet proof!

choppie
22nd April 2013, 02:00 PM

X2 plus trucks, semi trailers, machinery, wheel-align trucks & trailers, backs buggered now, can't bend over bonnet for 5 mins & can't stand up properly.