PDA

View Full Version : Must visit pub when travelling

threedogs
19th April 2013, 02:57 PM
We were hijacking another thread, Thought we should start this one. Anything Pub related.
Ones to avoids and Ones you should visit at least once in your lifetime. I'm going for the Daly Waters Pub in the NT. Nestled in amongst the avairy, Top pub give it 4.5 out of 5

rusty_nail
19th April 2013, 03:12 PM
ok gotta put this one in, its not in a pretty spot, its an inbetween pub, just north of albury at a tiny place called Woomargama, the place is called the Woomargama Villiage Hotel.

me and the old man pulled in there for a place to stay on the way back from melbourne to sydney after he bought a new bike. we met the whole town(about 20 blokes) had an awesome feed, spent the night on the piss with some top blokes that welcomed a stranger in no troubles, spent the night around the inside fire telling shitty stories and having lots of laughs.

friendliness and clenliness i would give it 5 outta 5 stars, although the stay is very no frills and so is the pub. i think it was the no frills that appealed to me the most, it was more of an honest feeling, less was for show and what you saw was what you got.

TPC
19th April 2013, 03:19 PM
Good point Threedogs, so I will post these important statistics here.
Who would want to live in Vic or ACT, would have to fight through the crowd to get to the bar.

State- People per Pub
Tasmania- 1821
South Australia- 2500
Northern Territory- 3228
NSW- 3532
Queensland- 3608
Western Australia- 4012
Victoria- 5105
ACT- 11584

rusty_nail
19th April 2013, 03:23 PM
Who would want to live in Vic or ACT, would have to fight through the crowd to get to the bar.

State- People per Pub
Tasmania- 1821
South Australia- 2500
Northern Territory- 3228
NSW- 3532
Queensland- 3608
Western Australia- 4012
Victoria- 5105
ACT- 11584

haha go tassie! i will say that when i lived in deniliquin there were 6 pubs and 3 bowlo/rsl type places in a town that has a population of just over 7400 people. thats less than 850 people per license venue... now thats the way to go!

taslucas
19th April 2013, 03:29 PM

State- People per Pub
Tasmania- 1821
South Australia- 2500
Northern Territory- 3228
NSW- 3532
Queensland- 3608
Western Australia- 4012
Victoria- 5105
ACT- 11584

Haha I still get shitty if I have ti wait more than a minute for the next beer;-)

FanTapstic!

threedogs
19th April 2013, 03:30 PM
Trying not to state the main ones buy the Batchelor pub in the NT again just a great vibe from a tin pub. 4/5

the ACT is full of soaks is that how I read It

Ben-e-boy
19th April 2013, 03:31 PM
For a veiw the pub at the top of the hill in Narooma NSW
The codfish hotel in Yetman which is between texas QLD and Goondiwindi. great publicans, great locals and a great country feed. If you are hungry go the mixed grill. I have only finished it once and that was after a 13hour shift with no food breaks. I sat like Al bundy after that.

taslucas
19th April 2013, 03:36 PM
Stanley hotel, Northwest tas. One of the best steaks I've had. Cape grim beef, with Crayfish from the bass straight and smoked salmon from the west coast,............ The best bit? 24 bucks;-)
A place in Melbourne is charging over 50 bucks for the same size steak, no seafood.......

FanTapstic!

TPC
19th April 2013, 03:39 PM
The Simpson trip I did last year we visited 3 great pubs:

William Creek on the Oodnadatta Track, stayed until last drinks called.

Birdsville Pub, again stayed until last drinks then fell over face first walking back to my swag.

Mungerannie Pub on Birdsville track, the bloke behind the bar (Viking) looked at the mess I had made of my face at Birdsville and gave me a couple of free beers.

threedogs
19th April 2013, 03:39 PM
Did you have bad case of MEAT SWEATS lol
Cann river Hotel near VIC/NSW border as a Mixed grill that
took some chewing, full t bone ,full rump,etc

Dhuck
19th April 2013, 03:51 PM
The Injune Hotel. They give you 2 plates when ordering a steak. 1 has the steak on it, the other for the rest of your meal which you serve your self. Could be veges or chips & salad. It is a real beef cattle area.

taslucas
19th April 2013, 03:55 PM
Did you have bad case of MEAT SWEATS lol
Cann river Hotel near VIC/NSW border as a Mixed grill that
took some chewing, full t bone ,full rump,etc

Meat sweats are for girl's!!

FanTapstic!

threedogs
19th April 2013, 03:56 PM
Gotta love cattle country, real meat with the fat left on ooohhh meat mmm

might have to have a meat off in the future, lol
No touching swords he he

boots
19th April 2013, 04:21 PM
Woodspoint pub is worth a mention .

threedogs
19th April 2013, 05:26 PM
X 2 with you Boots there is a pub crawl book for that area, worth doing if you can find a few designated drivers.
Bemm river Hotel before it got Burnt down {SUSS} Gippsland
Isle of wright before it burnt down, {SUSS] Phillip Is

Coldcomfort
19th April 2013, 05:32 PM
We were hijacking another thread, Thought we should start this one. Anything Pub related.
Ones to avoids and Ones you should visit at least once in your lifetime. I'm going for the Daly Waters Pub in the NT. Nestled in amongst the avairy, Top pub give it 4.5 out of 5

Daly Waters is one very good pub. I'm not sure how they do it, but , even the Carlton Draught they serve up is quite drinkable (for a CUB product that is). You just have to love a pub that uses ladies under garments for wall paper!!!

Coldcomfort
19th April 2013, 05:33 PM
The King Ash bay fishing club deserves a mention in this thread....... One very unique pub indeed.

Cuppa
19th April 2013, 06:19 PM
The pub at Chillagoe, Qld qualifies for one of the friendliest & best value pubs that I've been too in Australia. Rocked up there with only enough money to buy a beer each for me & wife. It was free pizza night, really good pizza & plenty of it. Went to pay for the beer & got handed a dice. When I looked puzzled the barman explained that if I rolled an even number our drinks were free & if odd we had to pay the usual price. Everyone was treated the same. We had three lots of free drinks before we finally had to pay for any. Great little town with a great little pub.

Another was the Purple Pub in Burketown, where the landlord let us camp in our bus in his back yard, & offered us the use of his private swimming pool. He hadn't been there long, just a few weeks. When a fight broke out among some blackfellas out the front of the pub, he kicked everyone out, locked the doors & shut up shop for the night. Half hour later he invited us back to the bar from our bus & plied us with free drinks for the rest of the night, inside the locked pub which we now had to ourselves.

At the Fitzroy Crossing pub, we were the only two white faces in the place, which was packed. We only went in to the bar to pay for a night at the adjoining camp ground, but were made so welcome by the bros that we made a night of it. Contrary to what many might expect there was no falling down drunkeness & no aggro. Just all round good spirits & much interest in our travels.

Best pub of all is The Bell at Castle Hedingham, close to where I grew up in the UK. Armchairs, open fire, great beer & live folk bands at weekends, all in the ambience of a building dating back centuries. Not a posh place though. Many a Saturday night saw mates & I wake up in the bar on the Sunday morning. It wasn't unusual for the landlord back then to say ”I,ve had it boys, I'm off to bed, help yourselves behind the bar". His daughter & son in law run it now.
http://www.hedinghambell.co.uk/history.html

Cuppa

threedogs
19th April 2013, 06:31 PM
For the overseas guys and girls heres the inside of the Daly waters Hotel

BigRAWesty
19th April 2013, 06:36 PM
Go sa to.. I'm the mount, 27,000 peeps and 10 pubs...

If your down this way, my pic is The Belum hotel. About 10k south of the mount. Top tucker and cheap beer...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MC97GQ
19th April 2013, 07:06 PM
Nice thread Threedogs, surprised it hasn't been done before.

NSW, I can think of three pubs straight off the bat that are well worth a mention,

The George IV at Picton, one of NSW oldest pubs complete with micro brewery. http://georgeiv.com.au/

The Laggan Pub, at Laggan(Near Crookwell) looks like a house you would never guess it was a pub, http://publocation.com.au/pubs/nsw/laggan/laggan-hotel

And the Pub at Wallendbeen(Near Cootamundra) built into the side of a hill,http://publocation.com.au/pubs/nsw/wallendbeen/wallendbeen-hotel

Three top pubs with heaps of character.

Another pub that comes to mind is the pub at Merriwagga(between Griffith and Hillston) the bar used to be so tall you could sit on horseback and lean on the bar. http://blackstumphotel.blogspot.com.au/

All worth a visit.

Mark

Cuppa
19th April 2013, 07:59 PM
For the overseas guys and girls heres the inside of the Daly waters Hotel

And here's a few more of both inside & outside.

Daly Waters is quite a distance from anywhere, but not far off the Stuart highway. Permanent population is likely less than 10. The place is packed most nights with tourists during the 'tourist season'. I was once there in November (not tourist season) & it looked like being a very quiet night with only myself, son & a couple of locals in the bar. At around 9pm several ute loads of Akubra wearing young blokes from the local station (80 kilometres away) rocked up for a night out. After a full days work they all had plenty of energy & big thirsts. The jukebox got cranked up & a good time was had by all.

Cuppa

pearcey
19th April 2013, 08:12 PM
Just a few to visit from my travels William Creek SA
Mt Carbine QLD
Pub in the Paddock TAS
Red Sands tavern WA
Todd tavern NT
Eldo hotel Woomera SA
Logan hotel VIC
Mt Dare hotel SA
Willuna WA
Broad Arrow hotel WA
Marion Bay Tavern SA
Nelson hotel VIC
Gellibrand hotel VIC
Dunolly hotel TAS
Joes Garage TAS
Einasleigh hotel QLD
Hebel hotel QL
Whyte Yarcowie hotel SA

boots
19th April 2013, 08:34 PM
Have a great mate who lives in Adelaide and when I visit we go to his local '' the edinburgh '' hotel in mitcham . Fantastic beer garden , great atmosphere , just cannot stomach that coopers , its not for me sorry .

growler2058
19th April 2013, 08:44 PM
Must visit pub when travelling....................

Derrrrrrrr ALL OF EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TPC
19th April 2013, 08:48 PM
Have a great mate who lives in Adelaide and when I visit we go to his local '' the edinburgh '' hotel in mitcham . Fantastic beer garden , great atmosphere , just cannot stomach that coopers , its not for me sorry .
Have been to the Ed more times than I can remember, great pub.
Nothing wrong with Coopers, what do you drink, VB?

growler2058
19th April 2013, 08:53 PM
Don't mind the Ed meself, but im a hills boy and ya just cant beat the Bridgy (Bridgewater) or Stirls (Stirling) or the Pump (Aldgate) or Crafers or the Hahndorf Inn, or the German arms or Grumpys or Three Brothers arms or................................................ ..................................................

TPC
19th April 2013, 08:56 PM
Don't mind the Ed meself, but im a hills boy and ya just cant beat the Bridgy (Bridgewater) or Stirls (Stirling) or the Pump (Aldgate) or Crafers or the Hahndorf Inn, or the German arms or Grumpys or Three Brothers arms or................................................ ..................................................

Been to all those except Grumpys, that's the home brew place isn't it?

growler2058
19th April 2013, 08:59 PM
Been to all those except Grumpys, that's the home brew place isn't it?

Yup......................Then there's the Bedford, the Maccy, Woodside, Oakbank, Stanley Bridge, Charleston, Ohhhh the list goes on, if I had every dollar back.............................................. .......

boots
19th April 2013, 08:59 PM
Carlton cold or crown lager would be my favs TPC . Let you know when I'm at the Ed next and will have a frothy or two and a yarn .
Have been to the Ed more times than I can remember, great pub.
Nothing wrong with Coopers, what do you drink, VB?

TPC
19th April 2013, 09:16 PM
A pub that was the best south of Adelaide was the Port Noarlunga, had the best beer garden any ware called frangipani gardens.
As a kid during summer my parents would take us all down to Port Noarlunga Beach for a swim then head over to the pub, they would drink away while us kids would run around the gardens and check out the birds in the big aviary they had.

Unfortunately the beer garden was bulldozed several years ago to make way for f#$&#ng pokies.

NP99
19th April 2013, 11:04 PM
Ones to avoid - Samford pub - beers and service good, meals way over priced and average. Also Dayboro pub, average or below everything.

I like the Alderley Arms at Alderley (Enoggera)

chester
5th May 2013, 12:29 AM
Erica Pub good beer and the meals are good too,their Hot Rock steak is awesome.

The Gap Getaway at McAdams Gap ecspecially in winter,the kids can play out in the snow while you sit infront of the huge fire with a beer.

The tool shed at Noojee had a few nights there and not real sure how i got home.

janderson
5th May 2013, 05:29 PM
Threedogs nailed it, Daly Waters Pub in the NT. However the humpty doo also in NT. Buffalo Steaks to kill for. Although Threedog says it’s not what it used to be.

Winnie
5th May 2013, 05:43 PM
Erica Pub good beer and the meals are good too,their Hot Rock steak is awesome.

The Gap Getaway at McAdams Gap ecspecially in winter,the kids can play out in the snow while you sit infront of the huge fire with a beer.

The tool shed at Noojee had a few nights there and not real sure how i got home.

Great local pubs hey Chester! Went to the tool shed just a few weeks ago, always have a great night there.

threedogs
5th May 2013, 07:40 PM
When working in the Simmo before Marla Bore roadhouse was Built the Kulgera roadhouse was a great spot,
seeing we lived at the Kulgera homestead, 100 mtrs away, Oh happy days

dads tractor
5th May 2013, 10:11 PM
3 dogs had a few maybe a lot of frothies at the Kulgera pub in the railway construction days and dug the holes for the tanks at Marla when it was a Atco and Greg and his Dad were the only ones there .But the best pub has to be 1770 qld 2 palm trees and a plank of wood and a half door on the back of a takeraway opposite the boat ramp. Entertainment blokes trying to back a boat trailer and local commentary .

Stropp
5th May 2013, 10:18 PM
My parents used to own in order, the criterion hotel in quorn, then the crafters hotel mt lofty, the port admiral in port Adelaide which is closed now and the yankalilla pub before they retired, all those pubs had great food cheap and cheap booze ( well for me anyway)! Gotta agree the daly waters is a must do pub, we spent quite a bit of time there when we were splicing the fibre out to boorooloola..

Timmo
5th May 2013, 10:36 PM
My fav is Birdsville....its an awesome relief to see after you have ridden across the Simpson on a push bike........... Daly second and the hoey Moey in Coffs Harbour, also cant forget C COY Bar at the 41st battalion.

93patrol
5th May 2013, 10:46 PM
My fav places for a pint and steak sanga is either the prince of Wales here in bunbury for their great food and live music or if I am out on the road the quindanning pub out near Williams great food and beer and on the weekend it always packed because of all the bikers that stop on their way for a run. Barmaid aren't half bad either mostly backpackers

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

mudski
6th May 2013, 08:55 AM
Had to go to Bendoc way up in the Vic High country for some contract work, No accomodation in this town so I had to go back into NSW to Delegate. Found the local pub had old shearers quarters for rent at $45 a night. Had a Parma and about 10 pots there, good food, was kinda wierd sitting on the veranda of this place where it was around 2 degrees outside drinking beer.
Nothing special about this place, just the serenity really.

Bob
6th May 2013, 09:44 AM
"Kevington Hilton" at Kevington near Jamieson Vic Great Character
and then the Jamieson Hotel where Friday,Saturday & Sunday really Rock (with a few Fights) and the rest of the Week you can have Machine Gun Practice and not be in danger of hitting anyone.

threedogs
8th May 2013, 07:38 PM
IMO I think its mandatory to visit any pub when travelling especially towards the end on the day.
You jus gotto wash that dust down

Coldcomfort
12th May 2013, 03:40 PM
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2013/05/10/320728_ntnews.html

Daly Waters!!

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:16 PM
Question to all, is that Ettamoogha pub still going, never been but heard good stories about it

brentjames90
12th May 2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah still up and running with Aussie land behind it

threedogs
12th May 2013, 06:47 PM
Aussieland sounds like a hoot, have you been???

TPC
12th May 2013, 08:53 PM
Aussieland sounds like a hoot, have you been???
I heard there was a couple of them, being an alcoholic I need to visit both.
I love pubs, they are what makes Australia great.