PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filters on 3.0

Dr Gary
18th April 2013, 05:15 PM
Just read a report on a Simpson crossing with seven mixed 4x4s. The only dead one was a 3.0 Patrol with fuel pump problems--likely caused by poor fuel.
Anyone have experience with added/modified fuel filters, and any problems with bad fuel?
Mine is a Direct Injection, so not quite as sensitive as the later common rail.

SonOf
19th April 2013, 05:19 PM
I added an second filter to mine to filter out additional cr@p. It has a glass bowl so you can see if you are getting water in your fuel etc. Have had no issues to date, it is fitted to a 3ltr 2003 model. After an earlier in my 2.4ltr Hilux years ago experience back on the mainland with a servo that had bad diesel I have fitted this mod as a standard. Saves hassles and does help. I also only use BP diesel now unless nothing else is available and then on stations with high turnover.

fs1952
19th April 2013, 07:34 PM
I had a similar problem across Simpson after getting bad fuel at Maree. Kept draining Nissan filter, changed it at Mt Dare for the return crossing, It needed to be replaced in Melb when I got back. So I fitted a Donaldson filter from Berrima Diesal which has glass viewer. This acts like a pre filter before going into factory filter. Hadn't any problems since.

Just read a report on a Simpson crossing with seven mixed 4x4s. The only dead one was a 3.0 Patrol with fuel pump problems--likely caused by poor fuel.
Anyone have experience with added/modified fuel filters, and any problems with bad fuel?
Mine is a Direct Injection, so not quite as sensitive as the later common rail.