PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on changing over springs & shocks

SonOf
16th April 2013, 07:11 PM
I currently have a 2003 GU ZD30 wagon & a 1999 GU TD42T wagon.

The shocks in the TD42 are pretty much gone and the car is getting to be like driving an arm chair.

I am selling my ZD30 and I only recently added new springs & shocks to it (ARB 2" lift with OME shocks)
I was talking to a aftermarket 4x4 guy about new shocks etc and mention selling the ZD and he said why don't I just swap them over and to the TD as they would fit no worries.

My concern with this is that the TD is heavier in the front end so would this be an issue? Can anyone offer their thoughts on this I know I would like to swap em and save me some dollars but I am not doing it if it is going to be cr@p or not within safety limits.

Clunk
16th April 2013, 07:52 PM
Depends on the rating of the springs you've got on the ZD30 but surely they've got be better than your knackered ones on the td42..... I'd be swapping them over if it were me ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Kymbo75
16th April 2013, 11:20 PM
I would be changing them over and see how they go, if you are concerned about the front springs give ARB a call and see if there is much difference between the zd30 and the 4.2

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2013, 01:02 AM
In a heart beat mate. ;)

SonOf
19th April 2013, 05:06 PM
Wouldn't be anyone down my way that would be interested in giving me a hand would there? Been a long while since I mucked around with this sort of stuff and would appreciate some help, even if it is giving support from the coach chair with home brew in hand?

threedogs
19th April 2013, 05:11 PM
Coils are the cheapest part of this equation, Swap ans see how they go IMO
Shockers give you ride quality

SonOf
23rd April 2013, 09:45 PM
Called ARB - Everything but the front springs can be changed over - apparently the front springs are not rated to the weight of the TD42 - not bad really, only $265 for new ones

happygu
23rd April 2013, 10:39 PM
You can probably do a bit better for pricing on the Front Springs...try someone like Dobinsons, as they make a good coil at a reasonable price.

Everthing should just swap right over. It is a fairly straightforward process, but you need some safety gear, if you don't have a hoist available.

I've done my last three sets at home myself, and the only drama I have had, is when my highlift jack got jammed at full extension..... I was more than a little worried...

Mic

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2013, 10:48 PM
You can probably do a bit better for pricing on the Front Springs...try someone like Dobinsons, as they make a good coil at a reasonable price.

Everthing should just swap right over. It is a fairly straightforward process, but you need some safety gear, if you don't have a hoist available.

I've done my last three sets at home myself, and the only drama I have had, is when my highlift jack got jammed at full extension..... I was more than a little worried...

Mic

WOW! Mic!

You did a spring swap using a Hi Lift Jack!! Holy crap! Would not cross my mind to attempt that!

Go and buy 4 jack stands (2 for each car) park them side by side. A decent trolley jack and jack the car up a little and put the jack stands under the chassis rails on both sides. Take the front wheels off, undo the sway bar links, undo the bottom nuts on the shocks and let the diff down and you should have no trouble removing the springs.

Easy as

happygu
23rd April 2013, 10:58 PM
WOW! Mic!

You did a spring swap using a Hi Lift Jack!! Holy crap! Would not cross my mind to attempt that!

Go and buy 4 jack stands (2 for each car) park them side by side. A decent trolley jack and jack the car up a little and put the jack stands under the chassis rails on both sides. Take the front wheels off, undo the sway bar links, undo the bottom nuts on the shocks and let the diff down and you should have no trouble removing the springs.

Easy as

Yeah - I know - sounds really safe doesn't it.....

It isn't as bad as it seems, as I have some great safety stands to place under the chassis to make it quite safe.

The rears are easy -it is the fronts that are the killer. I actually worked out after the first couple of times, that it was better to lift the car less, and with the wheels off, jack the front corners down to the ground, and the big springs slip straight in.....Only takes a couple of hours that way.

Mic

SonOf
29th April 2013, 08:04 PM
Sorted - Ended up getting a set of 2" lift Lovell springs & shocks. Will add the new springs to my TD42 and swap the shocks over as I like the ride the OME give. Not a bad price at $684 for the kit

SonOf
17th May 2013, 01:34 PM
Finally got the springs and shocks today, hopefully this weekend can do the shock change so I can sell my 2003 GU 3.0ltr Patrol.

Mikees
10th July 2013, 02:53 AM
If it were me I'd just bite the bullet and pay someone to do the job. If you don't have the right tools it takes way too long with the risk of personal injury. If you load your vehicle close to GVM and do a lot of corrugated work, consider the coil tower bracing to save a cracked chassis