PDA

View Full Version : engine stalls after start up,

cold
13th April 2013, 01:47 AM
hi all, my 3lt diesel seems to have a fuel problem, every morning and occasionally somewhere else when i start it it runs out of fuel. i have to prime the manual primer and try start , then prime again and it will fire up. its the same as changing the fuel filter everymorning,,any ideas ??

threedogs
13th April 2013, 08:04 AM
Have you changed fuel filters ???
Checked fuel lines ???

NP99
13th April 2013, 08:25 AM
Fuel filter or dirty fuel maybe?

happygu
13th April 2013, 09:12 AM
Cold,

Check the length of the fuel lines for any damp oily spots, as it look like you could have an air leak in the lines somewhere.

Even take the cover off the top of the motor, and I think that there are O Rings on the fuel lines going into the head, which perish over time with the heat and cold, so I would take a look there also.

Mic

NP99
13th April 2013, 09:14 AM
Do they still have summer and winter blends?

Kymbo75
14th April 2013, 09:33 PM
Also have a look at the primer assembly, I had the occasional starting issue, found the primer was leaking when I installed my lift pump.

Lander001
14th April 2013, 11:27 PM
I had the same problem but worse if I parked up a hill , found it to be the spill pipe on number 3 injector leaking.
Replaced all washers and haven't had a problem since

cold
28th April 2013, 12:36 PM
cant find any leaks, fuel is all good, and have a new filter on, same, even tried a set of vice grips to crimp the line near the primer over night,,, and,,, no luck haha its got me baffled

the godfather
28th April 2013, 11:18 PM
ARe you 100% sure its a fuel problem?
I had a (dare I say it) cruiser that did the same thing. Turned out to be low oil pressure. It cut out every time i started it and also if I idled it to long.
Just a suggestion. You can test it by bypassing the oil pressure sensor.

cold
1st July 2013, 06:51 PM
hi mate,, have found the problem does not occur if I park slightly facing down hill. was yours actually leaking fuel as mine is not. was that much of a job to do? I am thinking it must be right at the tank as if its down hill it cant flow back in tank, just working out how to get to the tank lol