PDA

View Full Version : Help with Aldi winch

mudnut
12th April 2013, 03:19 PM
I have a secondhand aldi winch. I have serviced it, but the brake is running hot. Someone else has had a go at the brake assembly, I just put it back together as it was. It is an internal spring type. My question is this; Does the pair of springs have to be under load (Assembled so they have a smaller diameter) or are they supposed to drag a little?

mudnut
12th April 2013, 05:39 PM
You're not wrong, they are a well built winch, but some aspects make them unsuitable for use as a 4wd winch, mainly ingress of water, so once its fixed, I'll sell it as a trailer winch.

megatexture
12th April 2013, 08:40 PM
Stick a pic up, alot of us service our own winches and someone may recognise some resemblance to there winch and be able to help

Old Wal
12th April 2013, 08:58 PM
G'day mudnut. How old is your Aldi winch ?. I don't know if this helps but I have one of their first release winches on my Troopy- it is branded as Torq. Apparently( ? ) the first release winches were rebadged Ironman winches. The second release winch were the same as Ridge Ryder and Max Trac. Don't know if there are any internal differences between the two. Incidently mine has performed well beyond my expectations and is still going strong ( probably a mess internally ) - and no not just because it gets a lot of use on a Toyota !

mudnut
12th April 2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks blokes, I will try to get some photos and get them uploaded, tommorrow. The motor is new, but the first and second stage planetary gears were nearly seized from in sitting in water. I found that water can enter where the clutch handle bush is pressed in and the drum seals are inadequate. It is a shame that such a well built winch has these cheap little faults.

mudnut
13th April 2013, 11:51 AM
Another fail. The forum keeps coming up with messages; Too many Pixels, or too many KB s:1087: I've tried cropping it and stuff, but, any way. I'm gunna take a punt and fit the spring back in under a slight load.

AB
13th April 2013, 05:33 PM
Another fail. The forum keeps coming up with messages; Too many Pixels, or too many KB s:1087: I've tried cropping it and stuff, but, any way. I'm gunna take a punt and fit the spring back in under a slight load.

It has to be under 1.9mb otherwise the forum can't upload it mate.