PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy radio

matty_3977
12th April 2013, 11:55 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help without stating the obvious (the obvious will become clear in a moment).

I bought an 80 channel UHF from Aldi, now while it works perfectly to transmit my voice out to the masses I can only hear certain other radios the rest it comes though like I have no range (breaking up with a bit of static), I have changed the antenna to a good brand (uni den) but this has not fixed the problem.

Now the obvious would be buy a new UHF and stop being a tight arse lol, but alas no spare cash has made that not a possibility.

So is anybody else aware of what this problem might be or have any ideas?

any help would be awesome..

NP99
12th April 2013, 11:59 AM
They are a line of sight radio mate, at best on an average day with no buildings, trees, mountains around about 5k if the other party is in range. Find a repeater channel and its a bit better. If you have a mate wuth one test each other over distances. There's nothing wrong with your uhf. Remember some days are better than others, clouds, day, night it all effects the TX/RX of your radio.

MC97GQ
12th April 2013, 12:02 PM
Hey Matty,

Did you just change the aerial(the whip) or did you change the coax cable and mounting base.

Are the other radios you are talking to all 80 channel or 40 channel.

I know I haven't exactly helped but these things might help narrow it down, and I'm not going to bag you out about the ALDI radio as most electronics are made in China these days so the internals of the radio are probably not much different to any low cost UHF on the market and some of these can work quite well for the job intended,

Good luck with the problem

Mark

threedogs
12th April 2013, 01:07 PM
Check knobs on radio itself sounds like squelch turned off.
Make sure all on the same channel, Aldi pretty good from what I hear.
So dont think its the radio at this stage. have a good read through the manual.
have you an good earth for antenna, if not run one to neg of Battery.
Think its only a minor setting up problem ATM. Once you're familiar a bit
more It will be easy to operate.

Turn your radio to channel 40 and say " BREAK RADIO CHECK PLEASE"
a big burly truckie will come back with EG, loud and clear at Toraddin
or something of that nature

matty_3977
12th April 2013, 01:14 PM
The problems I have been having are when I am the same distance from each vehicle in a convoy situation or while airing up/down not sure about 80 or 40 channel thing would this be an issue because we are on the same channel (eg ch 18). oh and i changed the whole antenna ( whip, base and cable).

GU4PLAY
12th April 2013, 01:19 PM
did you solder the end of connector and do you have any joiners along the way

threedogs
12th April 2013, 01:23 PM
No They are a line of sight radio, A 6Db antenna is normal about 700mm-800mm high, is antenna earthed????
Are all knobs on radio correct as some will stop you from receiving, triple check knobs, if in doubt put all to 1/2 .
Can you put pic here of the control panel face of radio??

matty_3977
12th April 2013, 01:27 PM
the squeltch is on auto on this model i have moved the squeltch around to try and make it better but its really doesnt its only certain radios though not all of the my 2 mates on has an old 40 channel gme and the other has a new 80 channel oricom and the oricom comes through crystal clear but the old gme cuts in and out so do other older radios but im not sure if the others are only 40 channel the manual was no help the last time i read it but i will check it out again the earth on the antenna is good as far as i can tell i have had mates check it out. its got me knackered...
Check knobs on radio itself sounds like squelch turned off.
Make sure all on the same channel, Aldi pretty good from what I hear.
So dont think its the radio at this stage. have a good read through the manual.
have you an good earth for antenna, if not run one to neg of Battery.
Think its only a minor setting up problem ATM. Once you're familiar a bit
more It will be easy to operate.

Turn your radio to channel 40 and say " BREAK RADIO CHECK PLEASE"
a big burly truckie will come back with EG, loud and clear at Toraddin
or something of that nature

matty_3977
12th April 2013, 01:32 PM
I realise they are a line of sight radio when I say I am the same distance away i mean I'm right next to the vehicle as in within 10 meters on a flat when im testing it
No They are a line of sight radio, A 6Db antenna is normal about 700mm-800mm high, is antenna earthed????
Are all knobs on radio correct as some will stop you from receiving, triple check knobs, if in doubt put all to 1/2 .
Can you put pic here of the control panel face of radio??

lorrieandjas
12th April 2013, 01:51 PM
Hey mate - not sure if you have a wideband/narrowband setting that you can change (bandwidth filter)? Sounds like an issue with the 80 channel not playing quite as nicely with the older 40 channel units. See below from the GME manual (I know yours is not GME but it may help)?

BANDWIDTH FILTER SETTINGS
To accommodate the blending of the newer narrowband UHF CB 80 channel plan with the original 40 channel wideband system, your radio is fitted with two user-selectable receiver bandwidth filters. While either of these will provide superb receive audio, selecting the wide filter will further increase the tolerance of the receiver to 40 channel wideband radios that might otherwise sound over-modulated or slightly off frequency on channels 1 – 40. Selecting the narrow receive filter will increase the selectivity of the radio to strong interfering signals from adjacent channels.

Jas

threedogs
12th April 2013, 01:51 PM
Should pick them up, bit of a puzzel now as channel 18 is channel 18 be it 40 or 80 model.
Maybe yours OK and the others are set wrong lol. You going to Tallarook to meet a few members ????

Have you done verbal radio check,,,,,,,,,,,,,forgetting mates GME radios

Back in 10 min

matty_3977
12th April 2013, 02:05 PM
I will check that out for sure thanks heaps
Hey mate - not sure if you have a wideband/narrowband setting that you can change (bandwidth filter)? Sounds like an issue with the 80 channel not playing quite as nicely with the older 40 channel units. See below from the GME manual (I know yours is not GME but it may help)?

BANDWIDTH FILTER SETTINGS
To accommodate the blending of the newer narrowband UHF CB 80 channel plan with the original 40 channel wideband system, your radio is fitted with two user-selectable receiver bandwidth filters. While either of these will provide superb receive audio, selecting the wide filter will further increase the tolerance of the receiver to 40 channel wideband radios that might otherwise sound over-modulated or slightly off frequency on channels 1 – 40. Selecting the narrow receive filter will increase the selectivity of the radio to strong interfering signals from adjacent channels.

Jas

matty_3977
12th April 2013, 02:25 PM
my sentiments exactly I haven't done a radio check yet as I am at work and not near my car but i will try it for sure at the moment i will try anything because i have exhausted all options i can think of (earth, power, antenna etc.). Whats going on at tallarook?
Should pick them up, bit of a puzzel now as channel 18 is channel 18 be it 40 or 80 model.
Maybe yours OK and the others are set wrong lol. You going to Tallarook to meet a few members ????

Have you done verbal radio check,,,,,,,,,,,,,forgetting mates GME radios

Back in 10 min

GQ TANK
12th April 2013, 02:50 PM
The most common problem I see is the connector on the antenna cable has a short - where it plugs into the radio.

If you have a multi meter, put it on ohms and see if there is a short between the inner and the outter bit of the connector. if its a short - dont transmitt until you have it fixed.

Was the connector one of the ones where you screw the brad in?

Some kits come with a connecot that you fitt your self

threedogs
12th April 2013, 02:53 PM
A few of the Vic members are going there for a bit of a meet and greet and a bit of wheeling.
all welcome of course. camping at the reservoir at bottom of east falls road, easy to find.
always good to put faces to names, I've met a few now all been top ppl Imo.
Going up HUME its 57km past Doonbrook overpass turn right at Ennis rd ,follow that to
East falls on your left about 7-10k into forrest, Back to topic they will be on Ch 17 UHF