PDA

View Full Version : Alternator question

Parksy
12th April 2013, 08:50 AM
Hi all

Will be replacing my alternator soon as its on its way out, but there are a few differences on the one installed to the one ill be replacing it with. The one that's installed now is a Bosch unit but it doesn't have the plug installed. What is this plug for? Should it have 2 wires going to it or just the one? I'm assuming its for the dash light to let me know its charging, but it still turns off when I start the car.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/37D9AE33-A715-47FC-9751-40526689B8CA-9629-00000796A7F0A393.jpg
New unit
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/75AFFB13-9DBF-40F0-812C-BC7D1EF1A981-9629-0000079648330E61.jpg

My main concern is that the previous owner might have modified it or something because the Bosch unit doesn't have the plug receptacle, I don't want to plug it all up and blow it all up.

Cheers

Andy

Yendor
12th April 2013, 12:53 PM
That plug will need to be connected to your new alternator. The White wire in the plug should have constant power, this is the alternator sense wire.

There should also be a White wire with a Red trace in that plug. They would of removed this wire from the plug and connected it to the back of the Bosch alternator when it was installed.

When you fit your new alternator you will need to refit the White wire with a Red trace back into the plug along side the existing White wire.

Parksy
12th April 2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks yendor! Helpfull as always. There is a wire connected to the back of the bosch alternator on the actual case. I just thought it was an earth, haven't checked the colour of the wire but will be doing so shortly.

Cheers

Parksy
13th April 2013, 10:56 AM
New alternator in, plug wires sorted out and the car runs great! Quite surprising how much an alternator can effect the cars performance. Idle is super smooth now too. :)

NP99
13th April 2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks yendor! Helpfull as always. There is a wire connected to the back of the bosch alternator on the actual case. I just thought it was an earth, haven't checked the colour of the wire but will be doing so shortly.

Cheers

The Internet has got to be the ducks guts :)

Yendor
14th April 2013, 05:56 PM
New alternator in, plug wires sorted out and the car runs great! Quite surprising how much an alternator can effect the cars performance. Idle is super smooth now too. :)

Glad you got it sorted mate.

Yes it is surprising how the simple things make a hugh difference with auto electrics.